My New Friends

On 10/5/2015 at 11:41 AM, Tax said:

Hi Newman,

I am not fully abreast of the physics involved but here is a cut and paste from the German designer of the Axiom tonearm on Agon where he describes the HSIU in a post discussing the Micro Seiki.

"Each and every bearing with a shaft - i.e. with a lateral bearing - being addressed by a string pulling towards the motor in order to apply any tension on the medium (string, belt, tape) spinning the platter will benefit from the elimination of that one-side force.

Lesser noise - lesser friction - lesser wear."

The HS80 weighs 18 Kgs. I was not prepared for the size and weight of it. Nor was I prepared for the improvement in sound it brought to the system. I am still scratching my head as to how a mechanical application can have such an influence on what is happening at the stylus to LP interface.

Cut and paste from my email to Thank ALF

"I am lost for a cohesive and coherent description as only one word items popped into my head... these were (in no particular order)

Fark

Explosive

Big

Depth

Organic

Flow

More of everything (hold on that is three words)"

Hope this sums it up.

Hi Tax,

The yellow high-lighted text refers to "elimination of that one-side force".  So is the HSIU a second motor and belt pulling from the opposite side of the spindle (to the first motor)?

If so then I can absolutely agree with your comment "Fark / Explosive / Big / Depth / Organic / Flow / More of everything" ... as that is exactly what I heard when I added a 2nd motor & belt to my SkeletaLinn (on the other side of the spindle to the 1st motor). :thumb:

Andy

15 hours ago, andyr said:

Hi Tax,

The yellow high-lighted text refers to "elimination of that one-side force".  So is the HSIU a second motor and belt pulling from the opposite side of the spindle (to the first motor)?

If so then I can absolutely agree with your comment "Fark / Explosive / Big / Depth / Organic / Flow / More of everything" ... as that is exactly what I heard when I added a 2nd motor & belt to my SkeletaLinn (on the other side of the spindle to the 1st motor). :thumb:

Andy

Hi Andy,

The HSIU (high speed inertia unit) is a flywheel.

Some Walker users and other users are using two motors to counteract the force of the first motor.

Great that you found improvement when you added your second motor :-)

More discussion of motors, flywheels, friction etc at this link on Agon https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/tables-that-feature-bearing-friction#27

The new babies arrived this evening :-)

You can never win with women, she took one look at these and said I much prefer the German horns you have now to these ugly boxes...

fark! you can't win can you????

DSCF0837.JPG

DSCF0838.JPG

DSCF0841.JPG

Edited by Tax
typo
  • Like 6

I need some advice please.

Negotiation with SWMBO on "these BIG UGLY boxes" is progressing. 

24 hours of these sitting in between her kitchen and the dining room and I say to her over a glass of wine and steak..."I am thinking of making them a bit more contemporary" would a colour like Red work?"

She goes.."that would be better than some big brown ugly boxes".

So I need your advice..

Ferrari Red, Porsche Red or some other red???????????????

With the intent that the drivers and the horn flare will still be black.

Would this work?

Ferrari Rosso Corsa.jpg

Porsche Red.jpg

3 minutes ago, Newman said:

No. You don't want your speakers to look better than her lipstick.

You have given me a great idea Newman...I can say "red the colour of your lipstick" while I am o'gling my speakers :-)

Taks, just paint them gloss white. Red is too much. 

But if you MUST go for red, I think Ferrari red is a little too blood like. It might work on something with as many curves as a Ferrari, but for a box it would look absolutely horrible. Some things are just not meant to be painted red. Imagine a Mercedes in Ferrari red. 

12 hours ago, Keith_W said:

Taks, just paint them gloss white. Red is too much. 

But if you MUST go for red, I think Ferrari red is a little too blood like. It might work on something with as many curves as a Ferrari, but for a box it would look absolutely horrible. Some things are just not meant to be painted red. Imagine a Mercedes in Ferrari red. 

Thanks KW!

Would this look work?

sonus%20faber%20chameleon.jpg

4 hours ago, Keith_W said:

Horns red, box piano gloss white :) Just IMHO. 

Nice, Thanks!

On reflection I have lived with White horns for the last 8 years, and White and Red for that matter is going to make the speakers stand out as BIG.

Look at how one speaker covers up the width of a 8 seater dining table?

After dinner discussions tonight is slowly edging towards veneer, oiling or Black so they disappear....

DSCF0841.thumb.JPG.f3cc008b5f90d61f83b7be68c77df40b.JPG

• Like 3

On 9/9/2016 at 7:52 AM, klackto said:

I reckon work on the veneer and timber finish.

To me they're quite beautiful as they are.

Thanks Klackto!

Had a cabinetmaker take a look at it yesterday and the easiest, quickest and cheapest option is to lightly sand them back and give them a coat of matt black in the horn flare and a couple of clear coats of varnish on the veneer.

I can always add some grill cloth of a different colour later if required.

• Like 1

A bit apprehensive this morning as the day of Altec reckoning has arrived.

Waiting for @nevillekapadia to arrive to give me a hand to move them into the main rig and fire them up for the first time.

The crossovers had to be removed for transport so I am in the process of remounting them on the back.

Here is what a 1970 vintage Altec XO looks like inside. 46 years old..hope it has survived.

Everything is potted to keep it in place and for anti vibration I guess. 

Capacitors look like they have a cardboard wrapper much like the Duelund and new Jensens. Some sort of double winding where the two caps share the same body.

Parts count minimal. looks like the bare essentials so I am guessing that there will be room for improvement via a better custom made outboard crossover in the future.

Better get back to wiring the speakers.

Hopefully I can give you my initial "listening" impressions later today

IMG_0598.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG

• Like 1

It was a lot of fun with the Altec's yesterday. Neville came over around 10.30 and did not leave till close on 3pm. 

We hauled the speakers into the main rig and had a listen to them as was with the Emilar bowtie 800 horns. They sounded nice.

Neville thought having the woofer sitting up off the ground would make the sound more coherent. We checked this by laying on the floor and listening to what information the 515B driver in the bass horn was passing through.

So after hauling them out of the room again we got to work in dismantling the 802D from the back of the Emilar Horn. I then modified the 802D's by taking of the plastic loading caps and lining the rear chambers with felt (given to me by local Sydney Altec aficionado James who sold me the 511B horns). 

We then hauled the boxes back into the room and turned them upside down so the 515B were at the top rather than close to the floor. We then hooked the 511B's topside and had a listen to one speaker (had not modified the other as yet) and it sounded quite good. Once we had both speakers going we were a bit taken aback as the good sound had thinned out. We then shut down the amp on the left channel and opened the rear of the speaker and checked the connections and changed the phase on the 515B woofer and vola we had great sound.

Surprising how good the 46 year old crossovers still sound.

The felt pad mod on the rear chamber worked a treat. Much more organic sound without the shoutiness at certain frequencies that the A7 is known for.

I was very happy that my Koshka 6C33C amplifiers drove these with great ease.

Even more magic happened with the vinyl front end playing. 

The set up was quick and dirty as we did not want to mess with the Avantgardes and their placement. You can see in the photos the cardboard stuffing in the ports where we were trying to "um scientifically" discern what the port size was doing.

All in all quite an enjoyable time, and Mrs Tax had a light lunch and refreshments ready to cap off a wonderful morning. Thank you @nevillekapadia !

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed (4).jpg

• Like 2

Gutted the cabinets yesterday and removed the drivers.

Intend to get the cabinets sanded and refinished. Will keep the horn flares matt black and the trim and sides of the boxes in the same Tassie oak veneer.

The 515B's had some small Styrofoam stuck to the Altec goop from the many years of storage in the previous owners garage. I surgically removed these with a set of fine tipped tweezers I use for my phono cartridge clips. They came out quite well.

unnamed (5).jpg

unnamed (6).jpg

unnamed (7).jpg

unnamed (8).jpg

unnamed (9).jpg

• Like 7

• 1 month later...