My New Friends

Now that the Sonatas are packed up and are heading for a good home..

I had to go get some new friends as it was getting too lonely staring at an empty space.

TDRoom.jpg

Edited by Tax
  • Like 4

Now that the Sonatas are packed up and are heading for a good home..

I had to go get some new friends as it was getting too lonely staring at an empty space.

http://i498.photobucket.com/albums/rr343/Benellista/IMGP0500.jpg

Love those Avantgardes, Tax :D Surprised you didn't go for them in Kawasaki Green....:D

aac_duo_grscsc.jpg

Seriously they look like the culmination of a sensational looking system :)

cheers

2sheds

Very impressive - love to hear them one day.

Andy,

My suggestion:

Plan A

* Find out where Tax lives

* Check out the location of the local dump

* Bribe the Chief Dump man

* Wait 20 years :)

Plan B

* Visit Tax :D

cheers

2sheds

Congratulations! Since you mentioned you were thinking about horns it doesn't suprise me you went down this route.

Are they Duo's or Duo Omegas?

The white finish on the Avantgardes looks amazing and reminds me of the look and the finish of the Sousaphone.

YSH-301_Enlarged.jpg

Did you get a chance to audition your amps with the Duos before you purchased?

Edited by Veefy

Congratulations! Since you mentioned you were thinking about horns it doesn't suprise me you went down this route.

Are they Duo's or Duo Omegas?

The white finish on the Avantgardes looks amazing and reminds me of the and the finish of the Sousaphone.

YSH-301_Enlarged.jpg

Did you get a chance to audition your amps with the Duos before you purchased?

Thanks Veefy,

NO! I did not get a chance to audition these with my amps.

But I had heard a pair of Duos running with an Audio Note Meishu.

These were paired with Wavacs (which I didn't hear) and Cary 805's which I did hear.

These are the Duos. I suppose I will need to listen to a set of Omegas to see what I MAY be missing. At the moment I am still getting used to them.

Regards

Plan B does sound a bit easier sheds. After hearing Keith W's system I certainly would love to be able to spend more tim in front of serioud horn set ups like this.

Andything,

Plan B is available anytime you are up this part of the coast:)

Love those Avantgardes, Tax :D Surprised you didn't go for them in Kawasaki Green....:D

aac_duo_grscsc.jpg

Seriously they look like the culmination of a sensational looking system :)

cheers

2sheds

No the Benelli Green is much better than the Kwaka Green:D

But having moved from Blue carpet, Blue Lounge, Blue Curtains a month ago.. I gave Blue Duos a miss and went for the white to keep it neutral

certainly look the business. very nice mate :-)

I've never heard how the avantgardes sound like. How do they compare to your sonatas?

Tuyen, Aslan, AIA, Andything, 2Sheds, Scuzzi et al,

Thanks Guys.

So far so good..

Compared to the Sonatas....???

Apples and Oranges really.

Bigger soundstage, attack, space, loud 0-100dB in milliseconds.. nearly as fast as the bike:D

I don't think I have got them dialled in right. May have to enlist JCR's help at some stage as he has a lot of AG experience with his Trios. I am sure there also must be some other Duo owners on SNA.

I have done some online reading which has helped, but one thing I noticed is that these speakers have to be dialled into your room, they sound so different from one room to the next and less volume on the active subs offers better integration. So those who want high level shudders may miss out. BTW: I may have to put out an EOI on my REL Storm 111 subwoofer as I may not be needing it anymore as I can connect the HT surround outs directly to the AG subs.

I sat there last night and thought that everyone should listen to some horns at least once in their lives.

Not everyones cup of tea though.

They are not a relaxing type of speaker.. you can't snooze in front of them, not yet for me anyway. may be as I get more acclimatised. Haven't played any orchestral pieces yet.

At 104dB you can hear warts and all. I can hear my crap power line oscillation at idle. But when the music plays you realise that you are able to clearly discern little nuances that you had not deciphered before. These were still there before but now that they are somewhat magnified..you get an sense that Diana Krull moved her head away from the mic. I suppose this sense must be what the pundits call the "thereness" or being "there'

They are around 75Kgs each, but I managed to set them up on my own using the method indicated in the manual.

All in all a whole new level in my personal audio journey.

Tax,

Welcome to the club! I am sure you will have lots of fun with the horns.

Now, the front end is so important and the amps have to be ultra quiet, the cables and etc need to be looked at again...

Well, if the Duo is so good, maybe the Trio will be at least 33.333...% better with an extra horn...

Normally for a Duo user to upgrade to Trio, the shortest span is 2 weeks, you want to break the record?

I know a pair of Trio is available somewhere...!:)

ThesystemofJCR33c-fu.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Tax, you'll find they are very room location dependent and you'll get great dividends moving them around and experimenting.

They will also need quite a bit of run in time (if brand new). They will settle down nicely with time.