Sign in to follow this  
JukKluk2

Anti Cables

Has anyone here had experience of the Anti Cable products? I'm asking about speaker cable more than interconnects.

Frankn had some if memory serves me well, maybe PM him.

Has anyone here had experience of the Anti Cable products? I'm asking about speaker cable more than interconnects.

I use Anti-cable speaker cables at home. What do you want to know?

Basically, how good are they, @@LHC?

They don't seem to be overly expensive, and to use a well worn cliche, and appear to punch well above their weight. I've been using Monster Powerline 3 for almost 25 years and am curious as to what would be a reasonable upgrade in sonic terms for a relatively small outlay.

I once trialed a set of Van Den Hul speaker cables and found that in comparison to the Powerline 3 they rolled off the top end and the bottom end too. I wasn't impressed. What were you using prior to the Anti's and what was the difference when you swapped them in?

I used to sell them years ago, I found that in certain applications they were great value, but not all the time. Being solid core and with little dielectric, they were very potent in the higher frequencies. For something that didn't need any help up top, I found they could be a little bright. For speakers that could use a little hand up top they were awesome for the price. 

So, given the speakers that I have, would you say that they are worth investigating? Can you recommend any alternatives?

No I wouldn't recommend them at all for your speakers. You've got loads of resolution and transparency there so unless something else in your system is choking the highs, I wouldn't think you would welcome a hotter top end. I would recommend sticking with a multi-stranded copper cable for your speaker cables. At similar cash to the Anti-Cables, I can make you something using Furutech's U-2T (their 2nd top large-gauge wire) and terminations for around $370 for a 2m pair. 

Up from that, I'd suggest jumping to the S-14 wire from Furutech which is a higher purity copper and has a cotton dielectric. This adds about $80 to the overall price. 

Let me know if I'm in the ballpark with pricing, and happy to give you a specific quote if you let me know length and whether you have a preference to gold or rhodium-plated copper connectors. 

They don't seem to be overly expensive, and to use a well worn cliche, and appear to punch well above their weight. I've been using Monster Powerline 3 for almost 25 years and am curious as to what would be a reasonable upgrade in sonic terms for a relatively small outlay.

I once trialed a set of Van Den Hul speaker cables and found that in comparison to the Powerline 3 they rolled off the top end and the bottom end too. I wasn't impressed. What were you using prior to the Anti's and what was the difference when you swapped them in?

I use my anti-cable to drive some old B&W 602 standmounts and for that purpose they are good value for money, and are also a step up from monster multi-strands. But for your better set up I would just follow Krispy's advice. 

Anti Cables are popular with Maggie owners - as an ML owner, I'm not sure if you go there?

Whether they will give you better sound than your Monster Powerlines, IMO, will come down to whether you are a fan of solid-core cable ... or stranded.  Me, after reading the late, great Allen Wright's "Super Cable Cook Book" 15 or 20 years ago, only use solid-core wires - whether speaker or interconnect.

Can you bi-wire your MLs?  If you can, I would use something like 21g on the highs and 16 or 18g on the lows.  If you can't, I would use triple-runs of 20 or 21g.

Regards,

Andy