Yamaha Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

• 1 month later...

These were in the demo room at Len Wallis were I had my new speakers out for testing before I went home with them. I should have had a listen. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had the pleasure of listening to the NS-5000s today at Big Picture People Knox Ozone.  Driven by the A-S3000 integrated delivering 150 watts per channel into 6 ohms, and a CD-S1000 CD/SACD player. I was very impressed!  Having heard the NS-1000s not so long ago I can say that to me they are a lot better, especially with respect to bass.  I listened to two tracks, Keith Jarret live and a track from the recent Ben Harper album. Great midrange and treble with excellent midbass punch and bottom end! I know it's not a cheap speaker but it definitely outperforms many speakers I have heard and does so without the need for a subwoofer (essential with the NS-1000).  As well, they also look great!

Ps. I understand that BPP Knox is the only place that has a demo pair in Victoria

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77
2 minutes ago, Antripodean said:

I had the pleasure of listening to the NS-5000s today at Big Picture People Knox Ozone.  Driven by the A-S3000 integrated delivering 150 watts per channel into 6 ohms, and a CD-S1000 CD/SACD player. I was very impressed!  Having heard the NS-1000s not so long ago I can say that to me they are a lot better, especially with respect to bass.  I listened to two tracks, Keith Jarret live and a track from the recent Ben Harper album. Great midrange and treble with excellent midbass punch and bottom end! I know it's not a cheap speaker but it definitely outperforms many speakers I have heard and does so without the need for a subwoofer (essential with the NS-1000).  As well, they also look great!

Ps. I understand that BPP Knox is the only place that has a demo pair in Victoria

While I don't doubt that these speakers crap all over the 1000's I still argue that if you say a sub is essential then there is something wrong with your room/ the speakers or the system. I get room shaking controlled bass from mine run by a Yamaha A-2000 or even a B-2 

22 minutes ago, Jakeyb77 said:

While I don't doubt that these speakers crap all over the 1000's I still argue that if you say a sub is essential then there is something wrong with your room/ the speakers or the system. I get room shaking controlled bass from mine run by a Yamaha A-2000 or even a B-2 

I have never used them with a sub but I can see why people would recommend it. If i were to use a sub I wouldn't want the woofers going below 100hz.

The NS1000's do go rather low but its not a full bass. It is rather dry. Noticeable when you A/B them with speakers more capable in that area.

Edited by kelossus
  • Like 1

With the NS1000s having sealed bass and dropping off from 50Hz, then it is only room gain that is delivering more bass.  That would be a challenge to say it is controlled at the lower frequencies.  NS5000 is ported and going lower.  So, for any given room, the NS5000 has more bass. Hence, why I say the NS1000 should have a subwoofer.  Any room makes a difference and I acknowledge that so it's great you have a room that suits your NS1000s :)

• Like 1

Guest jakeyb77
1 minute ago, kelossus said:

I have never used them with a sub but I can see why people would recommend it. If i were to use a sub I wouldn't want the woofers going below 100hz.

The NS1000's do go rather low but its not a full bass. It is rather dry. Noticeable when you A/B them with speakers more capable in that area.

I have Aria 926's and an M&K sub so I get the idea. I also used to have plenty of Rockford and JL subs in my cars. I have also had bad bass results from my NS-1000's. That is until I amped them properly and positioned them in a good room. 

My NS1000's have a split personality at times.

It really seems to depend on the music being played and where i sit. I find sitting closer with more toe in results in excellent bass even when driven by a lowly 80W SS amp.

On the flip side, when amped by a NAD 375 it is sometimes too much bass !

But that's going to be a personal preference for sure. 

I'd love to here the NS5000's in a side by side against the 1000's

Just now, Whiterex1 said:

The high-end audio shops sell yamaha

chalengehifi.com.au!

and 

visionhifi.com.au!

Contact them and see if you can get a demo.

Neither of these stores have these in stock or on demo and I wouldn't call Challenge high end by any means. It is in dire need of a clean,tidy and make over

Will try and check out the one in WA store soon and report back. Hope they have it set up properly on a decent amp. So far we havn't seen definitive reviews that the new NS5000 has the same midrange and treble detail and snap the NS1000 are famous for, not that I don't believe it shouldn't have.

With spare NS1000 parts I had I made a 70L ported version with spectacular bass improvement IMO, much more extension, umph and drive, without affecting the midrange and general detail retrieval of a standard sealed NS1000. A short time after I found this website had done and documented the same http://www.audionostalgia.co.uk/diy_yamaha_ns1000m_75l_bass_reflex.php

If you are not afraid to butcher your NS1000 or simply swap out the parts into a newly built or experimental ported enclosure it may work for you as well and save some $.

Edited by Al.M

23 minutes ago, Al.M said:

Will try and check out the one in WA store soon and report back. Hope they have it set up properly on a decent amp. So far we havn't seen definitive reviews that the new NS5000 has the same midrange and treble detail and snap the NS1000 are famous for, not that I don't believe it shouldn't have.

With spare NS1000 parts I had I made a 70L ported version with spectacular bass improvement IMO, much more extension, umph and drive, without affecting the midrange and general detail retrieval of a standard sealed NS1000. A short time after I found this website had done and documented the same http://www.audionostalgia.co.uk/diy_yamaha_ns1000m_75l_bass_reflex.php

If you are not afraid to butcher your NS1000 or simply swap out the parts into a newly built or experimental ported enclosure it may work for you as well and save some

I really do not understand the desire to compare these new speakers to the NS1000s.

They are clearly a completely new design and should sound a lot better than something that has very little bass below 80 Hz and very little treble above 10,000Hz.

I have never understood the fascination with the NS1000s other than some sort of exotic material fetish.

They are really not very good.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjZ9vub9P3RAhUDspQKHXfsB3UQFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.troelsgravesen.dk%2FYamaha-NS1000.htm&usg=AFQjCNG_ETy_PnfPvm66h9xX0OXHZN3j7w&sig2=V4dbcbwt0BMnRM8x36ZVeQ

My NS75Ts are in a completely different class.That is one speaker that Yamaha really got right.

Edited by THOMO
  • Like 3

Troels article gives it high praise so entirely the wrong one to quote, except for frequency response dropping below 15khz, not 10khz. 

In terms of whether one very famous speaker ticks the box for a great many vs not for the very few proves little. It's just down to personal tastes.

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Al.M said:

Troels article gives it high praise so entirely the wrong one to quote, except for frequency response dropping below 15khz, not 10khz. 

In terms of whether one very famous speaker ticks the box for a great many vs not for the very few proves little. It's just down to personal tastes.

Well yes personal taste is a variable.

A while back I had both the NS1000Ms and the NS75Ts in my system.As I have said before I would be highly surprised if anybody preferred the NS1000s and anybody who heard the comparison agreed that the NS1000s sounded quite poor by comparison -and in every area of performance I would say.The NS 75Ts even image really well.

If you look at the red frequency response graphs in that article you see how both the bass and the treble roll off sharply at about 70 hz and 10,000 Hz.

Edited by THOMO

1 hour ago, THOMO said:

Well yes personal taste is a variable.

A while back I had both the NS1000Ms and the NS75Ts in my system.As I have said before I would be highly surprised if anybody preferred the NS1000s and anybody who heard the comparison agreed that the NS1000s sounded quite poor by comparison -and in every area of performance I would say.The NS 75Ts even image really well.

If you look at the red frequency response graphs in that article you see how both the bass and the treble roll off sharply at about 70 hz and 10,000 Hz.

Hi Jon

Which amps were you driving the NS1000's with?

The other issue with NS1000s is reports that the early versions, perhaps pre 1990 sounded better for some reason and I wonder if that is reflected in Troels article and others less positive reports using what appears to be a post 1990 version. If that is correct then Troels crossover improvement  suggestion may be in error for pre 1990 models.

I have owned four NS1000s, three were circa 1980s, and one 1995 model, which sounded very dull and ordinary by comparison. If one is assessing a dull sounding later version, then I can agree.

The only way to prove that is to measure each version to see if there are in fact any differences.

Reference to the NS75T might seem useful and they may well be better but to the vast majority they are virtually obscure, unknown and unobtainable to be of useful information value in this discussion other than a mere curiosity.

Edited by Al.M

It needs to be kept in mind that the Yamaha NS1000 was designed as an extremely accurate studio monitor (in the true sense of the word, not a sales pitch like modern speakers that use this terminology). It was designed to be placed in small studio monitoring rooms, some as small as 3m x 2.5m and the sealed boxes pushed into corners gave a tight accurate sound suited to these constrained monitoring environments. Put the same speaker in a large domestic lounge room, and yes, the bass will lack warmth and character, but that does not make the speaker any less accurate.

The NS1000 uses the finest material and design technology in its time, possibly still unsurpassed to this day in terms of crossover, box and driver construction. The beryllium drivers do have a special sound (the snap and speed that Al M talks about) and you either cotton onto and like this sound or perhaps not? Personally, I like it and place the NS1000 at the pinnacle of sound reproduction and respect it a lot. That said, I also have had about fives pairs pass through my hands as they do not always satisfy in my large 8m x 6.5m domestic room.

Having lived with the NS1000 (on several occasions) and heard Thomo's Yamaha NS-75T I can understand why he is enamored by them as the 75T does sound very musical with a fullsome bass, good clarity and it behaves 'normally' in a domestic environment. Unlike the NS1000 which can be very picky about the room and the ancillaries feeding it, which can make-or-break-it. At the end of the day it doesn't really come down to personal taste - if you are chasing accurate music reproduction, the NS1000 is better built in every way and it measures and sounds that way ...its beryllium signature is crystalline and pure sounding beyond something like the titanium in the (albeit excellent) 75T.

As to the new kid on the block the NS5000, I am confident it will sound very good as it follows in the footsteps of the NS1000, but more importantly it should sound better in the bass as it has been designed for the home, lets hope the zylon driver material lives up up to its promise.

Steve.

Edited by Steve M
  • Like 4