Cambridge Audio CXN, experiences and a couple of questions

Spotify was probably the biggest reason why I went with the CXN.  Our internet is challenged here at the best of times so no TIDAL for us.  My experiences with this unit have been all very positive.  I currently have a 1TB HDD that is being added too weekly.  While not an ideal solution (like the SONY unit), it is working a treat for me.  Once I figured out the artwork and such, easy as pie.  All though those Antipodes units look tempting....

I will add that if anyone in the Sydney area is looking to have a listen, I am more than happy to oblige.

Edited by Strykerhawk

• 7 months later...

Ive had the unit for a year now and like it but have 2 major complaints.... Which i cant believe they haven't sorted yet.

1) You cannot fast forward through tracks at all. You can only skip.

2) You cannot control it over your Macbook Pro (El Capitan). I don't have an iPhone/android so i don't have a remote control option... (I have a blackberry)

Ive had the unit for a year now and like it but have 2 major complaints.... Which i cant believe they haven't sorted yet.

1) You cannot fast forward through tracks at all. You can only skip.

2) You cannot control it over your Macbook Pro (El Capitan). I don't have an iPhone/android so i don't have a remote control option... (I have a blackberry)

Yeah, I've had the 351N for a few months now and same thing, only skip, no FF.  Strange they'd consciously go with this...

• 6 months later...

+1 for Spotify Connect. The CXN is the first device I have purchased with Spotify Connect and honestly the quality of sound and ease of setup is great. I've had a few speed problems with the Wifi (when using the Wifi wireless dongle) but that's no surprise given the fact that there are a few concrete walls in the way. I recommend Ethernet connection.

Probably my favourite purchase so far given the fact that I use Spotify quite a bit.

• 4 weeks later...

Seriously considering the CXN but not too interested to a network to access my music library. I'm more interesting in connecting a hard drive via USB. I know Cambridge has cautioned that not all large hard disks will work. For those of you using an external hard disk with your CXN and have had a good experience, are you able to share details of the hard disk you're using? I saw an earlier poster mention issues with a solid state drive - has anyone else had a good experience with a solid state drive?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

First time post but I've been reading these forums for a while now and it's been invaluable in helping me understand downloading music, FLAC's, network players etc.

Anyway, I bought the CA CXN a month ago and I absolutely love it. Easy to set up and the sound is fantastic. One gripe is the CA Connect app which is pretty basic (plus my album artwork looks pretty fuzzy). I was looking at using Plex instead. I've downloaded the free trial app and it is much more pleasant to use than the CA app.

One question - if I use Plex will it stream FLAC to the CXN? I'm using a Synology DS216j and the Plex app is on my iPad (wirelessly). I've noticed that when I use the CA app the the front screen on the CXN says it's playing a FLAC file (and 44.1kHz/16bit PCM) but when I use the Plex app to play my music none of this information is on the CXN screen at all, which is why I have my doubts. I've only done a brief listening test by comparing if there is a difference in sound, and I thought it sounded slightly better when using the CA app but it could be just my imagination......

I'm new to all this so please excuse if I've asked a dumb question!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Goomeister said:

One question - if I use Plex will it stream FLAC to the CXN?

In plex advanced settings you need to set audio output to 'original" it is default to MP3. 

Thanks for the tip - I've now set it to "original".

Bluesman - I didn't think you could use Roon with the CXN because I didn't think it was compatible with RAAT?

On another note, any idea how I can increase the resolution of the album artwork in the CA app? I've had a look at the settings in my NAS but couldn't see anything obvious. The Plex app shows the album artwork crystal clear so I don't know why the CA app does not. Also, can the artist image be visible in the CA app? Obviously this stuff isn't as important as the sound but I'd still like all the stuff in the app good to look at.

1 hour ago, Goomeister said:

Bluesman - I didn't think you could use Roon with the CXN because I didn't think it was compatible with RAAT?

On another note, any idea how I can increase the resolution of the album artwork in the CA app? I've had a look at the settings in my NAS but couldn't see anything obvious. The Plex app shows the album artwork crystal clear so I don't know why the CA app does not. Also, can the artist image be visible in the CA app? Obviously this stuff isn't as important as the sound but I'd still like all the stuff in the app good to look at.

You can use with the CXN, as a matter of fact you can use Roon with multiple CXNs at the same time and control each one individually, I know as I own 2, I can control the volume on and stream on both of them as well as my Anthem 720 at the same time, as far as the resolution goes for your album art just upload bigger sized images in your album art, are you using Flac files or Apple Lossless?? For the record Roon works perfect with the CXN as well as Tidal

3 hours ago, Goomeister said:

Sorry Goomeister, I read your post wrong as I thought you were talking about the screen on the CXN itself, mate not sure about the actual app as I've never really taken notice of it, i can recommend Roon though as the artwork and information that gives you is stunning as well as it integrates your collection with Tidal, it costs but is definitely worth a look

4 hours ago, The Bluesman said:

Sorry Goomeister, I read your post wrong as I thought you were talking about the screen on the CXN itself, mate not sure about the actual app as I've never really taken notice of it, i can recommend Roon though as the artwork and information that gives you is stunning as well as it integrates your collection with Tidal, it costs but is definitely worth a look

Hmmm, I may trial Roon then. I like the idea of being able to read artists' biographies, album reviews etc. Thanks for the tip as I would otherwise not have considered it. It seems to make the most of the internet which is one of the reasons why I'm a bit disappointed with the CA app, although I do realise there's a cost involved to have all the features that Roon has.

Actually the album artwork on the CXN display is also a lower resolution when I use the CA app - its just not as noticeable as it is on the iPad. And yes, I have tried bigger sized images but this doesn't make a difference. I'm using FLAC files. I think I'll ask Cambridge Audio.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Goomeister said:

Hmmm, I may trial Roon then. I like the idea of being able to read artists' biographies, album reviews etc. Thanks for the tip as I would otherwise not have considered it. It seems to make the most of the internet which is one of the reasons why I'm a bit disappointed with the CA app, although I do realise there's a cost involved to have all the features that Roon has.

Actually the album artwork on the CXN display is also a lower resolution when I use the CA app - its just not as noticeable as it is on the iPad. And yes, I have tried bigger sized images but this doesn't make a difference. I'm using FLAC files. I think I'll ask Cambridge Audio.

Now you have the CXN the CXC is the next step, hey I just like using my CXNs without the app, I do use it but I get sick and tired of my iPhone so I like to walk on over to my equipment and touch it and press buttons, very convenient and nice bit of gear!!

But that's the reason I got the CXN - I'm phasing out my cd collection due to storage limitations (I need the extra space for my vinyl!). So, I don't think I'll get a CXC. I'm happy with my Arcam CD17 anyway. But there's no way I'm getting rid of my cd's - they'll be going in storage in our garage. Too many good memories to keep.

Guest thathifiguy

@Goomeister Just be aware that using Roon with the CXN involves it running using Apple's AirPlay protocol. It is not a Roon Ready Endpoint.

Edited by thathifiguy

7 hours ago, thathifiguy said:

@Goomeister Just be aware that using Roon with the CXN involves it running using Apple's AirPlay protocol. It is not a Roon Ready Endpoint.

Does this mean that my FLAC files will be downsampled (e.g.from 24 bit to 16 and 16 bit to...?)? Are they converted to ALAC files or something else?

Also, will this also happen if I use Plex?

Guest thathifiguy
Does this mean that my FLAC files will be downsampled (e.g.from 24 bit to 16 and 16 bit to...?)? Are they converted to ALAC files or something else?

Also, will this also happen if I use Plex?

Well, AirPlay only supports 16/44.1kHz max, so anything 24 bit will either be downsampled or won't play.

The fact they are FLAC rather than ALAC could pose a problem too, I'm unsure whether AirPlay supports FLAC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk