monaro8

LUXMAN PD-277 ISSUES!! MOTOR NOT SPINNING-HELP PLEASE

My Luxman PD-277 Automatic turntable has stopped spinning properly.

Have sprayed all speed pots etc and no improvement.

Does the main drive motor ever need lubrication? 

I can spin the centre spindle with my fingers but it feels very stiff...or is this normal?

When I flick the 45-33 speed switch back & forth the centre spindle moves a fraction and then stops...sometimes in 45 RPM it may keep spinning but very slowly (certainly not spinning at 45 RPM), switching to 33 RPM hardly spins at all.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks...Vanch  :thumb:  :(

I can spin the centre spindle with my fingers but it feels very stiff...or is this normal?

No not normal, you should be able to spin that by your fingers.

The last time I saw a Luxman TT main bearing was when @@unclemack send his to Vince.  Not sure about yours but they contained brass sleeves, which is the worst thing to use in a bearing.  if you are confident to lift that spindle up, you'll find that that sleeve has accumulated impurities or hardened lubricant that must be cleaned out, this is what I suspect if it uses a brass sleeve.

Start cap rooted?

Start cap rooted?

+1

I believe that that is the correct technical description of this malady.

Edited by Telecine

Sadly, the advice you've received so far will not assist. Nor will mine. The PD277 uses an electronically comutated, brushless, DC direct drive motor. The fault could lie anywhere in the drive circuit, or, worse, one of the motor coils. You will need to take it to the man for professional service.

And, to answer your questions:

1) The main drive bearing rarely requires lubrication. Dunno what kind of oil the **** use in their DD motors, but I reckon it is designed to last a couple of centuries.

2) Yes, the motor will be quite stiff. You will probably feel that it tends to 'cog' when you try to turn it. Switching the power off should make it somewhat easier to spin. It will still not spin freely though. There's a lot of magnetic attraction going on under the hood.

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox

Start cap rooted?

Great name for a punk band.

When I flick the 45-33 speed switch back & forth the centre spindle moves a fraction and then stops...sometimes in 45 RPM it may keep spinning but very slowly (certainly not spinning at 45 RPM), switching to 33 RPM hardly spins at all.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

i would think the motor having some problem as you can't seem to spin the spindle freely which normally it does.

Duc

Hey guys thanks so much for all your comments.

Have taken it to a technician now and hopefully he can sort it out for me.

Will let you know the findings soon in case anyone else encounters a similar problem.

Cheers....Vanch  :cool:

Hi all, I have exactly the same issue. With the same model - PD277.  Everything works as in auto tonearm function, cut function etc.but no motor...

Apparently (according to its previous owner) the t/t was left on but unused.

Because he told me he could see the strobe light illuminated I’m assuming the speed switch was not in the off position- thereby turning OFF the strobe light.

Coild this be another start capacitor thing? After all it’s only 12v at this point is it not...

Posted (edited)

Note this is a revived post.  However,   there is no validity to the start capacitor  causing the motor fault ,  as this is a direct drive turntable that uses  a D.C brushless motor. Given the age of the turntable, cleaning and lubrication would  be part of a service procedure but, be aware the electronics could be at fault. Take it to a technician .

Edited by VanArn
correction.

Posted (edited)

Hi, I'm the technician Markie took the PD-277 to, and I'm stumped. The motor's windings seem OK. I soldered up a couple of loose posts on the turntable motor control board, but no luck. The service manual isn't much use. It has a circuit diagram, but doesn't explain the functions of the motor control board components or give any test voltages. I'd say the fault's on this board, but I'd have to service it "blind" so to speak, and that would mean desoldering most of it, testing each part, and putting it back together again with no guarantee of success. I can tell someone's already had a crack at this, which is not encouraging. I think I might test the output transistors, at least.

The two turntable motor drive windings read about 1.4kohms each, and the sensor winding is about 300ohms. Would that be about right?

Edited by SusanB