Darren69's stuff, to date.

10 minutes ago, mikey d said:

Man, I would love to come up & have another session with you & the lads. My head is spinning with all this digital talk. Really just wanna check out the mighty JBL's :)

I’ve been thinking the same thing.

• Love 1

Katatonia's 'City Burials' currently rumbling through the new addition in the form of the Lumin U1.

It's the best it's ever sounded and I cant stress enough to Nucleus users the benefit of adding a good quality server to your system as opposed as straight to the dac from the Nuc. Just gorgeous.

Bass through the big JBL's has me wondering if I still need the subs. They do flood the room with foundation when head banging though...:D 

Katatonia - Behind The Blood (from City Burials) - YouTube

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Katatonia's 'City Burials' currently rumbling through the new addition in the form of the Lumin U1.

It's the best it's ever sounded and I cant stress enough to Nucleus users the benefit of adding a good quality server to your system as opposed as straight to the dac from the Nuc. Just gorgeous.

Bass through the big JBL's has me wondering if I still need the subs. They do flood the room with foundation when head banging though...:D 

Glad to hear Dazza, was pretty confident you'd get a considerable improvement with the Lumin- they have an excellent reputation for good reason!

They provide an "analog" quality missing from many of the competition, in a nutshell. ?

• Love 1

1 hour ago, evil c said:

Glad to hear Dazza, was pretty confident you'd get a considerable improvement with the Lumin- they have an excellent reputation for good reason!

They provide an "analog" quality missing from many of the competition, in a nutshell. ?

It was your comments on the Mini that steered me this way. Will be a very interesting trip to @TerryO s abode to pit it against the mighty Antipodes. Just don’t invest in a double headed USB cable as they don’t work on the U1 lol

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

It was your comments on the Mini that steered me this way. Will be a very interesting trip to @TerryO s abode to pit it against the mighty Antipodes. Just don’t invest in a double headed USB cable as they don’t work on the U1 lol

Phew, nothing like putting a lot of pressure on me!

And  with my low credibility, you really should seek opinions from higher up!,?

I'd love to compare my Rhein Z1 Roon core server with an Antipodes, if I'm not mistaken they can effectively be both server and streamer /player - while the Lumin U1 is only a Streamer/ player. ?

1 hour ago, evil c said:

Phew, nothing like putting a lot of pressure on me!

And  with my low credibility, you really should seek opinions from higher up!,?

I'd love to compare my Rhein Z1 Roon core server with an Antipodes, if I'm not mistaken they can effectively be both server and streamer /player - while the Lumin U1 is only a Streamer/ player. ?

Correct, I’m very happy with the Stratos so didn’t need to pay for a dac. I will still try the Lavricable USB, I have a little 5v Teradac PS so will power with that and see how it unfolds. I prefer silver for digital IC’s (dunno if it’s in my head or not, it is what it is lol), till then the trusty Belkin is in place.

Edited by Darren69

5 hours ago, Darren69 said:

I'd like to try a Lumin U1 now. That's 2 other Ayon Dac users that swear by it.  Compared to my convoluted way of getting a half reasonable digital stream happening (nuc server, SMS-200, Singxer, Ayon AES input), I could just sell all that off and try the Lumin....

Or just get an Ayon S3 streamer/dac/analog pre and p!ss off one of my ME pres and repurpose my Ayon CD5s too. ;)

Edited by christosd
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, christosd said:

I'd like to try a Lumin U1 now. That's 2 other Ayon Dac users that swear by it.  Compared to my convoluted way of getting a half reasonable digital stream happening (nuc server, SMS-200, Singxer, Ayon AES input), I could just sell all that off and try the Lumin....

Or just get an Ayon S3 streamer/dac/analog pre and p!ss off one of my ME pres and repurpose my Ayon CD5s too. ;)

You could also just get the U1 Mini and fit an external PSU like I did, and get within a poofteenth performance wise of the U1 - you can use the CD5S internal DAC obviously to save even more! ?

Edit: You will still need a Server/ Roon core.

Edited by evil c

On 24/04/2021 at 3:16 PM, evil c said:

You could also just get the U1 Mini and fit an external PSU like I did, and get within a poofteenth performance wise of the U1 - you can use the CD5S internal DAC obviously to save even more! ?

Edit: You will still need a Server/ Roon core.

Chuck some reflectors from the Tubestore at the CDP and oh la laa

Well the Lavricables Master USB is settling in, almost too much resolution and detail! I believe in burn in/settling/whatever you want to call it, new cables are always glassy sounding in my system and then they become more natural and smooth as time wears on, thats what my ears tell me.

Going to have a play for a while with USB cables, got an Anticables 3.3 coming, will see how that goes vs the double headed Lavricables version. I do like silver digital cables. Some interesting options out there too, Gothic Audio, my loom makers Analysis Plus, Tellurium Q to name a few. Yet to hear an Audioquest Diamond. Have tried the Wireworld Platinum 7, very nice. Also loved the Revelation Audio Labs RJ45 I2s cable I had so wonder if their USB version is as nice. Ye olde Belkin is already very nice. Prices vary hugely but one can usually offload pretty quick and not die wondering....will advice if/when I try any with Anticables first off the rank when it arrives.

Level 3.3 Digital USB Interconnect (anticables.com)