Darren69's stuff, to date.

9 hours ago, Jones99 said:

Initial thoughts.......?

It looks lovely out of the box. :) 

Impressive remote.

Have the cave to myself tonight brother @Jones99 so will set it all up then and have a play. Got some Old Mate Pale Ale to assist, possibly finished off with some Brewdog IPA's.

• Like 2

Holy bloody hell but there is some serious sound staging going on in my house right now.

It took about five or six songs to dial in the twin subs post DEQX.

But since then, it has been nothing short of a revelation.

Meridian does musicality. Meridian digs very very deep into your source and does imaging. Meridian does sound staging to an end game level.

I feel like I have arrived with what I have gathered to date, it all suddenly sounds coherent and three dimensional.

Expect some PS Audio/DEQX for sale soon.

• Like 4

@:) al using the Meridian as a Pre/DAC/CDP mate.

Strange how previously thin recordings are now very beefy yet good recordings are much the same as they sounded through the PS Audio CDT/DAC and DEQX HDP4.

Quite intriguing. Also, I can unplug the subs and it only makes a slight difference.

Very interesting.

• Like 3

I no doubt feel getting the benefit of a good pre but gee meridian make such good dacs and players too ! So many things there no doubt bring benefit Darren, always had good respect of the meridian stuff ! No doubt have a peach there !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darren69 said:

@:) al using the Meridian as a Pre/DAC/CDP mate.

Strange how previously thin recordings are now very beefy yet good recordings are much the same as they sounded through the PS Audio CDT/DAC and DEQX HDP4.

Quite intriguing. Also, I can unplug the subs and it only makes a slight difference.

Very interesting.

Not surprised with your findings the 808 compares superbly with some of the best CDPs available .....true reference machine not a flavor of the month....  hmmm agree with the previous post above a good pre just might add a bit more magic,weight and body.....something to keep an eye/ear to try in the future.....for now though sit back enjoy ....post some pics when you get a chance.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Holy bloody hell but there is some serious sound staging going on in my house right now.

It took about five or six songs to dial in the twin subs post DEQX.

But since then, it has been nothing short of a revelation.

Meridian does musicality. Meridian digs very very deep into your source and does imaging. Meridian does sound staging to an end game level.

I feel like I have arrived with what I have gathered to date, it all suddenly sounds coherent and three dimensional.

Expect some PS Audio/DEQX for sale soon.

There's a set of ML2's in the classifieds. You may be able to afford them if you sell the PS gear. :P  :party

Awesome stuff Daz, must be sounding really good. I'm jealous.

cheers Dave 

• Like 1

I wonder how the Meridian designers did it. I mean, the PS Audio CDT used to buffer the info and then send out so you would wonder how the Meridian seems to 'find' and reproduce so much more sound (from the very lows to the highest highs) and detail. Cliché alert- am hearing stuff off CD's that I haven't heard before.

Also, I think going back to having the mains 'full range' has been a good move, the subs still do work but the music just seems 'more' and 'bigger'. I think sending the lower frequencies away from the big floorstanders to 'make it easier on them' did not do the end product much enhancement.

SO, back to work you big suckers! The subs are turned down quite low now and are cutting in around the 50Hz mark, I think the volume is on a quarter and they are still making themselves felt when the volume rises, so it's all good.

All very interesting. Had a heap more piccies but for some reason the hand wasn't that steady this morning. maybe from throwing out all the empties. Empty stubbies clattering into the yellow bin sound so wrong at 06:45.

I also need to source some 'trigger' leads to go from the Meridian to the JC1's. The JC1's are easy, they take a male 2.5mm jack but not sure on what female plug the Meridian end of things requires.

Edited by Darren69
  • Like 5

31 minutes ago, koputai said:

That's what I like to see Daz, a billion dollars spent on sound, and $200 spent on the TV !

Cheers,

Jason.

Haha, everyone comments on the bloody telly.

Nothing wrong with the old LG mate! :)

('old' tellys these days are over 5years old....when I was boy they lasted for 25 years...not that we could afford the electricity to power them...too busy anyhow, down t' pit digging gruel.....)

• Like 2

Looks fantastic ! What an imposing thing and has fitted in your setup a treat :)

its always great to read someone getting some joy some joy with a new goodie

fantastic to hear you are hearing new things as well. Meridian sure are the masters of digital !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, :) al said:

Meridian sure are the masters of digital !

So agree with the general thoughts about Meridian.

By far been the best CDP I have owned, so easy to listen to, for long long periods.

Interesting to read your thoughts compared to the PS Audio CDT ,  it had been my "must hear" item until I bought the Meridian.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Darren69 said:

('old' tellys these days are over 5years old....when I was boy they lasted for 25 years...not that we could afford the electricity to power them...too busy anyhow, down t' pit digging gruel.....)

My 2009 iMac was referred to by an Apple support worker on Wednsday as... wait for it.... Vintage :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darren69 said:

What Meridian pre would match this unit?

I don't know much about Meridian gear.

I suppose a JC2 Parasound Pre might go good with it as well.

Just purchase a pair of the DSP8000 Loudspeakers and you can do away with the pre, power amps etc.  Its all built-in.

https://www.meridian-audio.com/products/

About Special Edition DSP8000 Digital Active Loudspeaker

The DSP8000 is Meridian’s flagship loudspeaker, and the Special Edition makes its performance even more awe-inspiring than before. One of the few loudspeakers available that can reproduce the sound of a full-size grand piano at realistic volume and with realistic dynamic range, the DSP8000SE takes this landmark loudspeaker even further with the full range of Special Edition enhancements.

2014 marked the 25th anniversary of the launch of Meridian’s first digital loudspeaker – in fact the first digital loudspeaker in the world – the D600 in 1989.

The Special Edition DSP Loudspeaker Range is the result of Meridian’s ongoing research into how we, as humans, “hear” sound. These findings dictated improvements that have led to the loudspeaker’s lifelike performance. Quite simply, the Special Edition DSP Loudspeakers, and matching centre channels, are the best sounding loudspeakers Meridian has ever created.

A VERY SPECIAL OCCASION

Finished as standard in a piano lacquer black or white, the Special Edition Range is also available in any of the 270 Meridian Select colours.

• Like 2

I must say, pre-amps don't really matter that much in a Meridian digi system.

I had been running a Meridian CD player (G98DH), Meridian G56 amp (analogue) combo into Kef floorstanders for a few years, but had been collecting Meridian DSP speakers on the side. I always loved the system as it was, nice and refined, with plenty of power for parties or Saturday mornings when the missus was out and Possesed needed an airing.

About a month ago my wife and I were sitting here listening to some tunes, and I rigged up a pair of DSP3100HC's on DSP3300 stands as a second pair of mains, and A-B'd them with the Kef's.

Right from the start, no competition, the baby DSP's killed the big analogue system. Sure they lack a bit of bottom end, but that was easy fixed by plugging in the Kef active subwoofer. Sure it's not perfect (I hate subs), but it sounds tops!

The definition and detail the the DSP's produce is amazing.

If I get time this weekend, I'm going to open the big box with the DSW DSP subwoofer inside and swap out the Kef. Should be magic.

Sorry Daz, I digress.

Pre's really depend on your sources. If you're in love with your current analogue amps and speakers, and you like the DAC in the CD player, then any decent pre is worth a try. If you like Meridian, there's a few to choose from at various price points, some quite cheap. I know there's guys around here who are really happy with their G02's, but the 500 series is just as good at a much lower price.

Cheers,

Jason.

• Like 1