Sign in to follow this  
Darren69

Darren69's stuff, to date.

Time to shut the doors and curtains.9596D2A6-8FDE-441D-9D04-4412871CFEA1.thumb.jpeg.46146c55c2edbd9c214b4b1e21981386.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Time to shut the doors and curtains.9596D2A6-8FDE-441D-9D04-4412871CFEA1.thumb.jpeg.46146c55c2edbd9c214b4b1e21981386.jpeg

While relaxing maybe play Roy Buchanan-HeyJoe (Live From Austin Texas) loud...

I recently did this and almost destroyed my lounge room in the process.  

@STROP yes mate there are a few suggestions that I need to catch up on, all top shelf no doubt.

All- I am so happy with the 4367's. These babies just don't stop delivering. I mucked around with some things this arvo, played with the crossovers but have gone back to my original preferences, toed them in a bit to start with but the soundstage was very solid so toed them back out to where to see them in the image and that's a good compromise. In my room with my system they work well with bugger all toe in. Maybe 50-75mm out of parallel. These things throw a massive soundstage.

Another thing I tried was bi wired (latest Lenehan speaker cables) vs the JBL crossover wires.

Very surprising, a big difference. Bi wiring the JBL's using Mikes speaker cables was a significant improvement over using the supplied (robust) JBL crossover wires. In my gut, I always thought bi wiring was a bit of a tug but in my system with the JC1's bi wired to the JBL 4367 terminals, it makes a real difference. Synergy? A crossover designed for such things? Just the difference between so-so speaker cables and well designed ones? I canna answer that, I only know it really worked for me.

The Stratos dac/pre is heaven sent and I just kept nudging the big JBL's higher and higher and all that happened was my ears cried enough. I am in love.

It sounds so good that I am wondering if I even need to spend God-knows-how-much on an audio room. All is so fulfilling as it is.

A concert experience right here in my own lounge room.

13 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

It sounds so good that I am wondering if I even need to spend God-knows-how-much on an audio room.

Dazzle, if you want to hide yourself away from those you love then having an audio room makes sense. If, on the other hand, you want to share the joy and be part of the family then stay where you are.

40 minutes ago, JukKluk2 said:

Dazzle, if you want to hide yourself away from those you love then having an audio room makes sense. If, on the other hand, you want to share the joy and be part of the family then stay where you are.

Need to blast Lazarus soon.

The partner often comments on my playlists. From the other end of the house.

Edited by Darren69

I reckon you should try moving those speakers left and right  as far apart as possible. Widen that sound stage as much as you can. They look like big bastards, get 'em apart and get your arse back in the room as far as you can --- Well from a photo that's what I think anyways mate....Sit in the backyard if you need to -- do some gardening whilst listening ;;;;LOL... Enjoy... :D

I haven’t read the thread, but are the lenehans gone?

9 hours ago, Sime V2 said:

I haven’t read the thread, but are the lenehans gone?

Yes mate, went to Brissy.

I’m not surprised your loving those big JBL’s, love to hear them myself. 

2 hours ago, Sime V2 said:

I’m not surprised your loving those big JBL’s, love to hear them myself. 

Weren't you with me at the Hi Fi show in 2017 when we wandered into the Convoy room, or was it @frankn ?

21 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Weren't you with me at the Hi Fi show in 2017 when we wandered into the Convoy room, or was it @frankn ?

Wasn’t me. 

‘‘Twas me I think. 

On 15/06/2019 at 8:59 PM, Jventer said:

Pm'd you with LOTS of thanks re the new toy got the same message that you cant receive PM's 

New toy is working beautifully - even my wife is impressed!

So your PM is working.

I thought it had stopped for some reason🤔

So here’s the covers, very protective, probably the only gripe I have with the speakers is there are no little cloth tags to aid removal. That’s it. Apart from that, I just bloody love them. Do they affect bass? Dunno, haven’t got that far yet .

@Muon N'

A58369E1-E19B-48EC-9810-23BB835A2350.thumb.jpeg.af71a42b2e4b89a76fbaf25e4fb8d34f.jpeg

Edited by Darren69

Covers won’t affect bass one iota. 

Weston Acoustics Time Machine Pre is on the way. ;) 

1 hour ago, Darren69 said:

Weston Acoustics Time Machine Pre is on the way. ;) 

That’s exciting news mate. Will be interesting to see how it slots into the system. Have fun with all the new toys. 🤘

That’s the spirit Darren. Now that we can no longer rely on @Tubularbells to buy three new things a week we need you to grab the good gear so we can all live vicariously through your purchases and brighten up our otherwise drab lives.

It's been an epic saga, I ordered the amp, then @ehtcom got really crook, then he got better, then I hammered him for completion, then he got it to bloody TNT who sent it off to bloody Darwin. :D

Waiting for it to get back to Earle who will check and resend. Mine has the polished transformers, oak plinth I think etc, will look fantastic I reckon.

Awesome set-up Darren, to die for!

Just a question on the speaker platforms, are they for acoustic reasons or just to tie everything together aestically?

7 hours ago, Darren69 said:

It's been an epic saga, I ordered the amp, then @ehtcom got really crook, then he got better, then I hammered him for completion, then he got it to bloody TNT who sent it off to bloody Darwin. :D

Press the button or turn the wrong knob on a Time Machine and it can end up anywhere. 😏

Has it come back as a fully evolved design?

8 hours ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

Awesome set-up Darren, to die for!

Just a question on the speaker platforms, are they for acoustic reasons or just to tie everything together aestically?

Acoustic reasons mate, to bring the tweeter up to height. Am a bit anal about tweeter height. Ahem :D 

Those little feet under the speaker plinths cost a bloody fortune from a  furniture mob to tie in with the unit feet so I am glad you noticed :D 

I have to share this, I cleaned the horns on the JBL's with some Plexus.

http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/about.html

I believe this has really opened up the top end and therefore enhanced the bass further.

So then I used an old Driglo nappy and found that gave a more homely, warm sound, like your favourite pair of jeans. Awesome.

So then I tried a microfiber cloth and it gave a lot of detail, maybe a bit harsh really, but good for those who like a more modern sound.

Definitely try it and let me know how you go.

Are you having a moment Daz 😉