Darren69

Darren69's stuff, to date.

One thing I have learned about valves Darren is dull remains dull but hard usually softens. I would give the Siemens a good load of hours. The Phillips are hugely underrated in my opinion. Affordable, obtainable and do very little wrong. Any sins are sins of omission, always the smart path, they don’t attempt to over play their hand . If you desire full fat midrange Amperex 6dj8 is a guaranteed heart attack brew.

My guess is the Phillips may sound a little soft when they go back in ,but sibilance can FFEFFFAA-9EC3-4F06-B57A-AC291291A73A.thumb.jpeg.a19d5b4c1b66e6777a10d2cfcbe98370.jpegdrive you insane once it becomes apparent. Hopefully it will disappear and the sound fatten, often what I have heard with quality detailed valves.

10 hours ago, Ooogh said:

One thing I have learned about valves Darren is dull remains dull but hard usually softens. I would give the Siemens a good load of hours. The Phillips are hugely underrated in my opinion. Affordable, obtainable and do very little wrong. Any sins are sins of omission, always the smart path, they don’t attempt to over play their hand . If you desire full fat midrange Amperex 6dj8 is a guaranteed heart attack brew.

My guess is the Phillips may sound a little soft when they go back in ,but sibilance can FFEFFFAA-9EC3-4F06-B57A-AC291291A73A.thumb.jpeg.a19d5b4c1b66e6777a10d2cfcbe98370.jpegdrive you insane once it becomes apparent. Hopefully it will disappear and the sound fatten, often what I have heard with quality detailed valves.

Ooogh, great post and thanks for sharing.

Yes as I mentioned, will give them some time to settle, if I get the time I might do a bit of a test this weekend, supposed to be rainy. Although it is hard to 'test' valves back to back because as I now know, they need time to settle.

In my humble little collection to date, I have SS, Phillips, Elektro Harmonix and the Siemens. To date my faves have been the SS and the Phillips but again, need to let the Siemens settle. Have not tried the EH yet. The 6H30Pi's are EH with spare Sovteks that came with the preamp but I believe they are the same thing.

At the moment, my gut feeling is I will get back to SS or Philips after trying the EH. Also wouldn't mind trying the Genalex Gold Lion at some stage too.

3 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Ooogh, great post and thanks for sharing.

Yes as I mentioned, will give them some time to settle, if I get the time I might do a bit of a test this weekend, supposed to be rainy. Although it is hard to 'test' valves back to back because as I now know, they need time to settle.

In my humble little collection to date, I have SS, Phillips, Elektro Harmonix and the Siemens. To date my faves have been the SS and the Phillips but again, need to let the Siemens settle. Have not tried the EH yet. The 6H30Pi's are EH with spare Sovteks that came with the preamp but I believe they are the same thing.

At the moment, my gut feeling is I will get back to SS or Philips after trying the EH. Also wouldn't mind trying the Genalex Gold Lion at some stage too.

Have you tried putting some dampeners (e.g. Herbie's audio dampeners) on the tubes?

I find the dampeners make the tube sound more "focused" and tighten up the bass a bit. Especially for preamp tubes. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, cyberkank said:

Have you tried putting some dampeners (e.g. Herbie's audio dampeners) on the tubes?

I find the dampeners make the tube sound more "focused" and tighten up the bass a bit. Especially for preamp tubes. 

Hullo dear Cyber, no I haven't. They are in a heavy enclosed case but might be worth a play with I guess, thank you.

Edited by Darren69

Seems like you’re still having fun with the beast? I can safely tell you it’s the most suited pre for your heavier music that I’ve tried. This Supratek is nice, has an interesting sound about it, lively but nothing like the presence of that Stereoknight

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gremrock said:

Seems like you’re still having fun with the beast? I can safely tell you it’s the most suited pre for your heavier music that I’ve tried. This Supratek is nice, has an interesting sound about it, lively but nothing like the presence of that Stereoknight

Brother Grem, spooky, was just thinking of you.

I don't know why you sold me this pre, it is to die for, you are correct about it's strengths and I love it.  :D

I have had a fun arvo trying some 6922 tubes, the usual test track of 'Runaways' by The Killers and my notes are as follows-

Siemens A frame 1960's- they just don't kick a goal for me and certainly don't live up to the hype, well not in my system and with my music at least. Good mids, great bass but fatiguing sibilance in voices which shows no sign of abating and a general harshness/glassiness. Very lively. Will sell off methinks.

JJ 6922- fantastic tubes but for my tastes a bit too 'warm' with rolled of highs. They are nice without any real wow factor anywhere. Would suit someone with very hot tweeters. They would work well in such a system methinks. Will sell off methinks.

Elektro Harmonix 6922- bloody good. Why does no one froth over these? They wipe the floor with the Siemens IMO. Excellent everything. Will be kept as spares.

Phillips E88CC SQ- the winner. Just beats the EH, better than the EH but not enough for me to sell the EH off either. They seem to pull off the ultimate, doing all frequencies well, beautiful, liquid and smooth but still with detail but no fatigue. Excellent. Do yourself a favour and hunt a pair of these down if your pre uses 6922!!

Only others I am interested in trying now would be the Telefunkens and Matsushita's. I will be very surprised if they top the Phillips but I don't like to die wondering. Now I must continue to get liquored up and blow my head off, seeing as everything is now fully at operating temperature on this rainy afternoon :)

Edited by Darren69

Haha can you spell f***wit? I can!!

i promise I wasn’t even marketing the thing to you before you bought it, just describing it, and I think now you believe me :).

i made the decision I wanted a Supratek so I poured money in and made it happen. It’s nice, it’s different and it’s quirky as hell, so I guess it suits me 🤪. Plus the Missus doesn’t like the knight carved into it for some reason. I think I should have charged you more seeing you’re so happy hahah

If you get the chance to try some 1960s Mullards go for it - decent bass, great mids and clear but tamed tamed highs when I used a pair in my Enigma.  The factory EH were very far behind the Mullards in my system.

Dam, I’m using EHs, may need to try some others.

51 minutes ago, joz said:

I suspect the quality of the EH 6992s has improved since I ran them, as 3 out of 6 in my system (had the M100 monoblocs too) died in the first few hundred hours.

16 hours ago, joz said:

I think they are great Jozza, they sounded very nice to me up against the others, as I ranted above. Get some SQ Phillip's if you can, sound to die for.

They aren’t the original EH tubes  In daz’s Pre though, and I feel like they have a couple of versions of the 6922s?  All tubes were removed when it was thought to have a fault, since they were cheap, just putting all new tubes in made sense lol