Darren69's stuff, to date.

1 minute ago, Rob181 said:

600 is a good starting point...

Would not go any shallower...

So just maybe you've hit the ML5 sweet spot for your room...

PS...just noticed my dyslexic third line...:):) 

Mike recommends around 700mm off memory but for my room and bass-pigginess-owner-traits, I like them where they are. Have moved them a tad closer together recently.

• Like 1

It's a funny thing isn't it.

Getting accurate bass and giving up the boomy stuff feels like it's to lean.

But once you have gotten rid of the bass humps and peaks and evened it out you can still increase your bass level and keep it clean sounding.

The slam just gets better as the volume goes up but still stays articulate.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Darren69 said:

@125dBmonster will endeavour to put up photos and also the correction graphs which can be uploaded from the machine, apparently. Yes, there is a bypass function but at the moment I have the 'compensation' jacked up as I wean myself from 'The Boom'.

Is Ok, have a good idea of what they the graphs will look like and no need to put you through the stress of hopping in the sack cloth, whipping yourself  again. Just how it looks in the rack

Weaning off the boom must be similar to what I went through completely stopping all smoking, gone done and dusted, since the 2nd of December last. To be honest, drank less than a carton then since too, sort of all went at once. All started when that Dr  was rabbiting on about how drinking beer diminishes the ability to "golden ear" a system and takes a few weeks to recover

I like my hearing/audiophiling/mixing more than I like beer, which is kind of a revelation, still keep beer though and I do have one here and there . 

Well after some hints during and after the GTG, I have taken the speakers down off the plinths and they do sound much better. Bigger and smoother with much better mid-bass etc.

So, the tweeters are now quite a bit below my ear-level but Mike states this isn't as much of an issue with his design as the first floor reflection from the woofer, so there you go. Will get a speaker test CD back from a mate and play a bit further with the speaker placement when time allows.

Have tried to upload the sub-woofer correction graphs from the Anti Mode 2 but it only gives me a list of numbers, sorry. I could take a picture of the 20c-sized screen? haha.

Will be interesting to put the whole lot through the Anti Mode, again, when time allows.

When did time disappear? I remember when I was a teenager, laying around bored and wondering what to do. That never happens now.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Well after some hints during and after the GTG, I have taken the speakers down off the plinths and they do sound much better. Bigger and smoother with much better mid-bass etc.

So, the tweeters are now quite a bit below my ear-level but Mike states this isn't as much of an issue with his design as the first floor reflection from the woofer, so there you go. Will get a speaker test CD back from a mate and play a bit further with the speaker placement when time allows.

Have tried to upload the sub-woofer correction graphs from the Anti Mode 2 but it only gives me a list of numbers, sorry. I could take a picture of the 20c-sized screen? haha.

Will be interesting to put the whole lot through the Anti Mode, again, when time allows.

When did time disappear? I remember when I was a teenager, laying around bored and wondering what to do. That never happens now.

Well when you were 15 , one year was a 15th of your whole life.

Now!

• Like 1

On 2/11/2018 at 11:25 AM, Darren69 said:

I was rarely bored as teenager always getting in to trouble or working out how to getting out of trouble was a full time job for my brother and I from making weapons of minor destruction to driving the go cart along side the railway tracks with a mate hanging off the back to get into town instead of waiting for the bus.

Edited by Two Flies
  • Like 1

Two blissful days off work and have been mucking around some more with the anti mode.

IMG_0472.thumb.JPG.4a6107ed7a55bf17eb5b7b1ccaf65491.JPG

Sorry for the screen shot, you can only download lists of numbers from the unit. This was fr the subwoofers only, on '0.2 stereo subwoofer' room correction mode with infrasonic filter enabled to attenuate anything below 20Hz. red before, black after.

IMG_0473.thumb.JPG.31b2f2277d9dea8ce76e610840cf160d.JPG

Tried to do the mains but I didn't like the corrected sound, the mains are more natural and organic without correction methinks and this is a duplication of my previous findings with the DEQX.

But the device is absolutely fantastic for subwoofer room correction. Once you get used to less boom and better quality bass it's very very good value. Subs crossovers set to their highest crossover, sub volume set during the pre-measurement set up and the rest sorted through the device.

Even then you can still play with treble and bass further if you like and it shows your changes against the above graph as you do this. If nothing else it really helps a measurement duffus like myself understand whats going on with it's simplicity and visuals-as-you-tweak.

Tomorrow am thinking of playing around with the Meridian 808.3i pre vs the Parasound JC2 pre, going through the Lenehan gear, have not tried that yet.

For now, blasting the debut album way back in 2000 from Tomahawk before the long suffering partner returns from earning the filthy lucre-

Tomahawk-tomahawk.jpg.bdf1e07cdcafda260df68a726515bc6f.jpg

• Like 3

Subs crossovers set to their highest crossover

@Darren69 Just wondering what's your reasoning for having the crossover so high, I would think that there is a possibility that the bass might be a bit muddy with the subs and the mains doing the same frequencies.

I usually integrate subs so that they are supplementing the frequencies that are lacking, thus reducing as much smearing as possible. 

• Like 1

My understanding is the subs are set @ there highest setting to essentially get out of the way letting the Anti Mode do its thing with regards to EQ, level and Xover frequency.

Edited by Tubularbells

24 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

My understanding is the subs are set @ there highest setting to essentially get out of the way letting the Anti Mode do its thing with regards to EQ, level and Xover frequency.

That’s the one, it’s what DSpeaker advise to do as a step in the process.

Edited by Darren69
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Thanks TB...that makes sense...

• 1 month later...

New interconnects in da house, Mikes latest and they sound amazing, Mike advises they open up more after 150 hrs or so. The speaker cables teamed with the IC's are the best loom I have hjad in my system to date.

IMG_0583.thumb.JPG.68c016bde54ab76c9a5bd16dfd0b9d5e.JPG

IMG_0584.thumb.JPG.6357fef91cdb900cb89718d1c568031a.JPG

• Like 7

New interconnects in da house, Mikes latest and they sound amazing, Mike advises they open up more after 150 hrs or so. The speaker cables teamed with the IC's are the best loom I have hjad in my system to date.

They look beautifully made.
  • Like 1

On 18 April 2018 at 9:43 AM, Darren69 said:

I have to agree with Dazzle about Mikes latest version of both speaker cables and interconnects.

I was lucky enough to have Mike loan me some of his speaker cables and a pair of interconnects for several days last week and the difference in sq as soon as you plug these cables in is huge. I found myself actually turning the PrimaLuna down when listening with these cables, the clarity and definition plus improved sound stage has to be heard to be believed.  

Maybe not for everyone, but it did it for me. The only potentially negative thing I found with them is they don't respond well with poor recordings.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, frankn said:

No cables should make poor recordings sound good. Think what they’d be doing to good recordings - making them sound bad. 

That is actually not what I was trying to say frankn, it's more a case that poor recordings become almost unlistenable, for my ears anyway.

For some people who own plenty of poor recordings that may be a problem.

cheers Terry

Edited by TerryO