Darren69's stuff, to date.

10 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Should have contacted me, the Boomslang would have been perfect for you. Awesome coax. Not quite as good as the Clearer Audio Silverline Optimus though, IMO.

I thought it was USB!!

• 3 weeks later...

Well scoff if you like (wooohoohhooo...hang on...)

USB cables make a difference and the Mad Scientist Black magic beats the Wireworld Platinum in my system. Mad Scientist copper had nicer vocals but Wireworld had bigger soundstage and more instrument separation. Mad Scientist won in the end for overall engagement with the music.

The final test is USB-Black Magic-Off Ramp 4 - Revelation Audio I2s vs Black magic straight to the dac through USB.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Decided to give an AES cable a run from the Off Ramp to the Ayon Stratos, wow what a difference, went straight back to the I2s connection. AES was quite thick and bloomy in my system, I2s reintroduced the airiness and timbre with cleaner bass. I re-purchased the Black Magic USB as it was so close to being the best, didn't want to see it heading off to the ballers and flippers :) 

Might give it another burl at some stage, geez everyone, close to not having anything left to play around with I must say...still haven't found that JC2 though....gets popcorn and waits...

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hullo all, have been quiet for a while but had a inkling to fiddle again.

Got one of these coming-

https://www.lavricables.com/cables/master-20-core-dual-headed-silver-usb-a-b-interconnect-cable/ 

ticks all my digital IC boxes, silver construction and I can power it from the linear supply from the Keces P8 USB connection, other USB will go between ROON Nucleus and Ayon Stratos...see if it beats the so-far-unbeatable Offramp/Revelation Audio I2s combo...watch this space.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

USB cable not here yet but I am going to have a play with an SoTM Ultra 200 Neo and see if that connection method beats the Off Ramp USB converter from the Nucleus. So the SoTM sits on the network and feeds a USB signla to the dac whilst the Off Ramp ran off USB from the Nucleus and then converted the signal to I2s and then to the dac.

Capeche??

25 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

USB cable not here yet but I am going to have a play with an SoTM Ultra 200 Neo and see if that connection method beats the Off Ramp USB converter from the Nucleus. So the SoTM sits on the network and feeds a USB signla to the dac whilst the Off Ramp ran off USB from the Nucleus and then converted the signal to I2s and then to the dac.

Capeche??

Que?? RelievedFearfulBlackfootedferret-size_restricted.gif.7cbfa9d843981ad307556331ecf36686.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Servers are awesome, Lumin U1  coming from Krispy and will eventually be pitted against the might Antipodes at Gold Coast Hi Fi when I cart the Stratos dac etc up there, will be a fun exercise no doubt.

Can anyone help me remember the name of those subs, they fire upwards, 18 in I think? Am wracking my brain but I cant find the name. Very occasionally for sale in the classifieds.

On 31/03/2021 at 6:15 PM, Darren69 said:

Capeche??

As a fellow Ayon user, Im wondering how to best use the Ayon I2S input. Do you have an HDMI to RJ45(?) converter of some sort ? It might be back a few pages in this thread but I had a quick look and couldn't find it. 

Gerhard from Ayon told me once that the Ayon usb is 'not an ideal option'. I currently use an SMS-200 with an Xmos based converter to spdif. The converter also has an I2S output that does sound better with my other DAC (Holo Spring) 

Edited by christosd

On 17/04/2021 at 9:39 AM, christosd said:

As a fellow Ayon user, Im wondering how to best use the Ayon I2S input. Do you have an HDMI to RJ45(?) converter of some sort ? It might be back a few pages in this thread but I had a quick look and couldn't find it. 

Gerhard from Ayon told me once that the Ayon usb is 'not an ideal option'. I currently use an SMS-200 with an Xmos based converter to spdif. The converter also has an I2S output that does sound better with my other DAC (Holo Spring) 

Hullo Christosd,

I have tried the Off Ramp 4 through an RJ45 I2s cable to the Stratos dac but to my ears a server sending a USB signal to the dac sounds better, hence the sale of the Off Ramp 4 and Revelation Audio I2s 'swizzle' cable (wired to join the Off Ramp and Stratos)...but we are talking very small differences and it would be system dependant no doubt.

I have been told in the past that AES is the best connection for the Stratos so there you go...

21 hours ago, Darren69 said:

..but we are talking very small differences and it would be system dependant no doubt.

I have been told in the past that AES is the best connection for the Stratos so there you go...

I have a battery powered SMS-200.  I probably should spend time with a better usb streamer directly into the Ayon before I comment further. For me the AES and Coax are lineball.  Ive got to also appreciate that the Stratos USB input card might be different.  There was a time when Gerhard was updating them.

Edited by christosd

1 hour ago, christosd said:

I have a battery powered SMS-200.  I probably should spend time with a better usb streamer directly into the Ayon before I comment further. For me the AES and Coax are lineball.  Ive got to also appreciate that the Stratos USB input card might be different.  There was a time when Gerhard was updating them.

I do know that the SoTM 200 Neo was a good improvement over the Off Ramp USB converter direct to the dac from the ROON Nucleus . This then flowed onto the Lumin purchase. So for me, it became more about the management of the signal through a good server/ethernet/LAN than being about connection methods to the dac..or maybe thats exactly what its about LOL...if that makes sense...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

I do know that the SoTM 200 Neo was a good improvement over the Off Ramp USB converter direct to the dac from the ROON Nucleus . This then flowed onto the Lumin purchase. So for me, it became more about the management of the signal through a good server/ethernet/LAN than being about connection methods to the dac..or maybe thats exactly what its about LOL...if that makes sense...

No worries Daz - to me it makes sense.

I may be wrong, but as far as I understood you had an Offramp 4.

Unfortunately in Computer/digital audio things have moved on since that was released, e.g. Offramp 5 and also Sotm, Rendu and many other products.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jventer said:

No worries Daz - to me it makes sense.

I may be wrong, but as far as I understood you had an Offramp 4.

Unfortunately in Computer/digital audio things have moved on since that was released, e.g. Offramp 5 and also Sotm, Rendu and many other products.

True and fr what you would pay for an OffRamp 5 with a few nice options thrown in, you could get a Lumin U1 mini et al.

• Like 1