Darren69's stuff, to date.

25 minutes ago, TerryO said:

Dazzle, when I mentioned music in my previous post I did by the way mean .... LOUD MUSIC!!!!!!!  ... and lots of beer! .... ?

They go hand in hand my brother from another mother. 

Edited by Darren69
  • Like 1

Got four of these little tackers a few days back-

https://www.avaustralia.com.au/ac-infinity-multifan-s5-dual-80mm-quiet-usb-cooling-fan/

Two on the vent outlets of the Stratos dac and two for the same on the Auris II Pre. They are inaudible on 'M' setting, they are plugged into the P3 regenerator so they come on when I warm up the pre and dac. Pre and dac reach operating temperature in the same time as before but the component cases are nowhere near as hot to the touch after extended listening. I believe this can only be a good thing for all of the boards within.

They are placed at the rear vents of each component, above the majority of the valves and are hard to see from the LP.

They arrive in robust packaging and exude quality, a big recommendation from me for the AC Infinity products and to AV Australia for stocking them.

Now back to the wall of sludge metal that is 'Soma' by 'Windhand'. Rock on.

https://www.avaustralia.com.au/fan-only/

https://www.acinfinity.com/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Winno said:

Thanks for the link.

The cupboard my Mac and router live in is now rather toasty. I just ordered a couple of these (intake and exhaust) for the back of said cupboard.

Cheers

My pleasure  mate, they can run by USB or USB power adaptor to the wall etc. You'll be impressed methinks.

• Like 2

I think you are just the man I need young Darren. 
I am looking high and low for an Ayon CD5S. Very fine thing in my opinion. Shows my AudioNote M5 , Rega Saturn R a clean set of boots. Only becomes an affordable option using it as a preamp/DAC/CD player. (Flog my pre and player to lighten the cost).This works because the Analog pre stage is so good. It runs  their R2R DAC.

I believe you previously owned the Sigma DAC prior to the Stratos which is also a Sigma DAC but uses the analog preamp section rather than a digital volume control which the Sigma DAC uses. Are you using the Stratos direct to your power amps? I am guessing the analog output surpassed the digital of the original Sigma. Did you get to compare the Sigma DAC to their R2R offerings?

I hope all, or even some of that makes some sense! The Ayon line up is not an easy one to figure out.

14 hours ago, Ooogh said:

I think you are just the man I need young Darren. 
I am looking high and low for an Ayon CD5S. Very fine thing in my opinion. Shows my AudioNote M5 , Rega Saturn R a clean set of boots. Only becomes an affordable option using it as a preamp/DAC/CD player. (Flog my pre and player to lighten the cost).This works because the Analog pre stage is so good. It runs  their R2R DAC.

I believe you previously owned the Sigma DAC prior to the Stratos which is also a Sigma DAC but uses the analog preamp section rather than a digital volume control which the Sigma DAC uses. Are you using the Stratos direct to your power amps? I am guessing the analog output surpassed the digital of the original Sigma. Did you get to compare the Sigma DAC to their R2R offerings?

I hope all, or even some of that makes some sense! The Ayon line up is not an easy one to figure out.

Good Moaning dear Oooghy.

I don't know what R2R is sorry.

I used the Stratos direct to the JC1's for maybe 6 to 8 months before being lucky enough to be able to lane the Auris II pre in balanced version. Did the pre bring a lot to the table? At first no but as everything settled in I think it brought some more depth of soundstage and a slightly nicer sound but really up there in the realm of diminishing returns by now.

The analogue pre section is very very good in their components and your plan will work a treat for you, I believe.

BIG tangent- one of the best things I have done is go ROON/Tidal Hi Fi. I ripped all my CD's etc but if the NAS blew up tomorrow, I can't think of a good reason to replace it really. 

You could strategize all the funds towards a Stratos-ROON set up...ooogh la la!! :) 

Ohterwise, as mentioned, using the CD5S as a pre will work just great...assuming it is the same analogue pre setup as what is in the Stratos. Maybe chat to Michael and Boris at Absolute Hi End to confirm?

Does that help at all?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Good Moaning dear Oooghy.

I don't know what R2R is sorry.

I used the Stratos direct to the JC1's for maybe 6 to 8 months before being lucky enough to be able to lane the Auris II pre in balanced version. Did the pre bring a lot to the table? At first no but as everything settled in I think it brought some more depth of soundstage and a slightly nicer sound but really up there in the realm of diminishing returns by now.

The analogue pre section is very very good in their components and your plan will work a treat for you, I believe.

BIG tangent- one of the best things I have done is go ROON/Tidal Hi Fi. I ripped all my CD's etc but if the NAS blew up tomorrow, I can't think of a good reason to replace it really. 

You could strategize all the funds towards a Stratos-ROON set up...ooogh la la!! :) 

Ohterwise, as mentioned, using the CD5S as a pre will work just great...assuming it is the same analogue pre setup as what is in the Stratos. Maybe chat to Michael and Boris at Absolute Hi End to confirm?

Does that help at all?

Just what the doctor ordered thanks Darren. The R2R is a ladder DAC so varies from the Sigma Chip type found in yours. How different they sound and which each person/ system would prefer is the great unknown. As you say the Ayon pre sections in these DACs are something special. Cheers Amigo,

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ooogh said:

Just what the doctor ordered thanks Darren. The R2R is a ladder DAC so varies from the Sigma Chip type found in yours. How different they sound and which each person/ system would prefer is the great unknown. As you say the Ayon pre sections in these DACs are something special. Cheers Amigo,

So as usual, when I make a statement, a hand from the clouds knocks me down ?. Internet was down today. If I hadn’t had the ripped music on the NAS I would have had no tunes. Looking forward to hearing how you go.   

• Like 3

On 23/03/2020 at 3:30 PM, Darren69 said:

My pleasure  mate, they can run by USB or USB power adaptor to the wall etc. You'll be impressed methinks.

They arrived today and were promptly zip tied over two holes in the back of the cupboard. 

the Mac is now actually cool to the touch. Previously it ran very/too warm. 
I run my pair on their fastest speed and I cannot hear them from my listening seat. 

• Love 1

• 1 month later...

So the sickness continues unabated...

Since the Nucleus went in I have reinstated the Sovteks into the Ayons which sounds nicer (not surprising, they were designed around that tube) and removed one pair of the Lenehan Foilteks running to the horn crossovers on the JBL 4367 and re-fitted the shorting wires which made another improvement. The Lenehan cables could still be king but it did pique my interest in that area so I have the EGM V2 SC's coming to try out as well as the (deep breath) Analysis Plus Oval 8's that Psycho has sold to me through the classifieds....yes, the sickness continues.... but will be very interesting...

Digitally, I have the https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/collections/digital/products/ifi-nano-igalvanic3-0-usb-galvanic-isolation coming, done three laps of NSW now due to Aus Post + Covid= havoc but should be here soon(?)

Then I shall try the following to see if there are any changes to SQ...I remain cynical but then again I thought I heard a difference between previously owned RCA digital IC's and very much liked my favourite, the Clearer Audio Silverline Optimus so who knows...

http://www.elijahaudio.com/products.html (Quad Braid MkIV)

against the 200mm Curious (Version 1) off the Classifieds recently.

So, plenty there to keep me busy whilst in isolation...whats that? We can visit people? Meh..over rated...

GOOD MORNING!!!

Edited by Darren69
  • Like 4

This will be interesting Darren. I know you have been chasing copper cables to help tame  the JBL’s a little. I bought the Analysis plus Silver Oval 2 and the identical in copper. I was previously never a fan of silver always found it thin and brittle. In my system I found the Silver far preferable due to it’s speed and incredible detail.  However with your requirements the copper may prove to be the wise choice.

I hope one of the two new contenders shows all others a clean set of heals. We all await the results of the latest slugfest!

12 hours ago, Cardiiiii said:

What are you upgrading from?

Possibly nothing depending on the listening session this weekend :) am currently using the might Lenehan Foilflex full loom. They are so good.

I don't really 'upgrade' anymore, it's more honing to my taste...or more importantly, getting my system to sound how I like it...which seems to be a supercharged version of the Sony-Bose system I had for over 20 years :D ..but I know what you mean..

So it will be a very interesting weekend for sure, quite a cross section of cables to play with..only speaker cables though, no IC's.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ooogh said:

This will be interesting Darren. I know you have been chasing copper cables to help tame  the JBL’s a little. I bought the Analysis plus Silver Oval 2 and the identical in copper. I was previously never a fan of silver always found it thin and brittle. In my system I found the Silver far preferable due to it’s speed and incredible detail.  However with your requirements the copper may prove to be the wise choice.

I hope one of the two new contenders shows all others a clean set of heals. We all await the results of the latest slugfest!

Yeah I have tried high end Siltech in the past and didn't like with the Focals...I don't think it would go well with the JBL horns either but I can imagine it would go great with other systems.

All of the cables currently in my listening room are of excellent build quality, really made with love.

• Like 1