Darren69's stuff, to date.

1 hour ago, blybo said:

So a big night in @Darren69 nor are you letting it burn in before sitting down to enjoy?

I leave new gear running while I’m at work to speed up run in ?

I had a semi blast last night, it still had that slightly glassy 'I'm a tube that's yet to burn in' sound happening but still very nice. Will have a few more semi serious blasts until the wow moments start to arrive. Maybe not this weekend, have my son tonight and tomorrow night and the The Island on Sunday as you mention.

Am toying with the idea of moving the Reflektors to the pre or leaving them in the dac. I think if I full pimped out the dac and the pre with Reflektors, not only would I be terrible broke but I am wondering if they might get a bit too analytical, am thinking I should leave the matched Sovteks in the mix somewhere. Meh, experimenting eh? The 6H30 is a relatively 'new' tube to the scene so apart from Reflektors, not a lot of hoo haa aout there about them.

How much do I hate moving stuff around nowadays? Am very paranoid when it comes to unplugging and plugging stuff in now as well as getting around behind the system, don't know when that started.

Again, another utterly beautiful component, I cant speak highly enough of the Ayon product.

Edited by Darren69
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

How much do I hate moving stuff around nowadays? Am very paranoid when it comes to unplugging and plugging stuff in now as well as getting around behind the system, don't know when that started.

I used to Single Room demo quite a lot mate and it used to scare me as well. Especially in front of a customer who thought you new what you were doing. Even though I did.

I remember before I got my triple hernia done, if it was after lunch, I used to have to excuse myself from the room for a bit to push it back in. Otherwise while listening to Mozart, a Gurble could be heard in the corner.?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Muon N' said:

You mean more DR's, Darren?

I'd go the way you are leaning, and stick with the standard ones at least for the time being :thumb:

Might even move the DRs to the pre and shift the Sovtek to the DAC. Hmm

Guest Muon N'
11 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Might even move the DRs to the pre and shift the Sovtek to the DAC. Hmm

I think in the last position, whatever you use will be most dominant in the sound signature.

• 3 weeks later...

Just borrowed an Ayon CD 5s Darren. Spinner, DAC, valve pre all in one. Seriously, seriously, good. If yours is producing the same big, full,dynamic, detailed sound I think you will be rather pleased with your new inclusion.

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎16‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 1:19 PM, Ooogh said:

Just borrowed an Ayon CD 5s Darren. Spinner, DAC, valve pre all in one. Seriously, seriously, good. If yours is producing the same big, full,dynamic, detailed sound I think you will be rather pleased with your new inclusion.

Wish you were closer mate, I could rock up with the pre and dac and boom!

I love the Ayon sound, there should be more of it out there.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

ROON Nucleus on the way, lifetime sub to ROON and a Tidal yearly sub.

What a journey from 2013 eh?

I only keep CD's now for my 2009 Toyota Aurion...

Nearly gave them all away to my bro and sis but remembered I need them for the car.

My brother replied...he giveth, and he taketh away... hahaa!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Darren69 said:

ROON Nucleus on the way, lifetime sub to ROON and a Tidal yearly sub.

What a journey from 2013 eh?

I only keep CD's now for my 2009 Toyota Aurion...

Nearly gave them all away to my bro and sis but remembered I need them for the car.

My brother replied...he giveth, and he taketh away... hahaa!!

That’s the same approach I take and I’m sure many others do the same, but I like to keep the CDs as a physical backup. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well everything is going great here at Che Daz, all hooked up to the ROON Nucleus + Tidal as well as 2700 + albums on my NAS.

Haven't had time to compare CD SQ to Tidal yet.

As soon as ROON saw I was choosing an Ayon end point (Stratos Dac) it automatically selected all the best settings for it which is pretty cool for someone like me who can get a bit overwhelmed with choice.

Just spent an arvo blasting a bit of Pallbearer and a few drinks with the beloved before heading off early tomorrow morning towards Philip Island for the World Superbikes, all sounds lovely.

I like how ROON suggests other artists I might like, will have to delve deeper into that time permitting.

So yes, a lot has changed here (and everywhere I guess) since 2013 when I stood at the edge of this rabbit hole but I guess I can summarise.

I have not built an audiophile system.

I have built a supercharged 454 Chev version of a combination of all of the stereo's I have ever enjoyed from 1976 until 2012. My love of the poetry and raw emotion of lyrical music aligned with the live experience has remained, no doubt due to being lucky enough to have lived through the 1970's and 80's and accessed no end of very high quality gigs down at the 'insert pub here' in Sydney whilst courting a lovely lady for some years, we are still friends, it didn't last.

I have something old, something new, something borrowed, nothing blue :) 

I am on here bugger all now, I still don't know a great deal about audiophile stuff but one thing I will always say, I don't care about the mastering, I don't care about the image, I don't care about the soundstage, I don't care about the labels and the genres and I don't care about the money. I don't pursue about anyone's approval.

This isn't a rehearsal and it's all about soul. Feelings. Being alive.

It's about the connection, it's about the hell we have lived, it about someone bleeding for you, it's about crying into your beer, it's about being alive while we are still live. It's about owning all the imperfection that we have become, who we are. Whenever.

At night I come home after they go to sleep
Like a stumbling ghost, I haunt these halls
There's a picture of us on our wedding day
I recognize the girl but I can't settle in these walls

Ciao for now :D 

• Like 13

13 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

As soon as ROON saw I was choosing an Ayon end point (Stratos Dac) it automatically selected all the best settings for it which is pretty cool for someone like me who can get a bit overwhelmed with choice.

It's a bit sad that Roon only recognise Ayon Stratos but not Sigma. Maybe I should pretend mine is Stratos to share the good settings :) 

1 hour ago, TDX said:

It's a bit sad that Roon only recognise Ayon Stratos but not Sigma. Maybe I should pretend mine is Stratos to share the good settings :) 

Does the Sigma have the USB option?    Is ROON seeing the device? If so just ‘identify’ the device as Ayon, choose whatever model it suggests and just go with it. You can always adjust the settings if you like.

2 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Does the Sigma have the USB option?    Is ROON seeing the device? If so just ‘identify’ the device as Ayon, choose whatever model it suggests and just go with it. You can always adjust the settings if you like.

I’ll use BNC as you know ;)  but yes I will identify as Ayon. Cheers 

Daz it is great to hear you have reached a point where your really happy with your system, it has been a interesting journey to say the least and I only got to witness half of it. 

Regarding TV’s, if your still thinking of buying a new one, then I’d recommend that you consider buying the best biggest one you can. They all look way to small sooner than later.

Talk soon.

cheers,

Terry

Edited by TerryO
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 27/02/2020 at 9:44 AM, TerryO said:

Daz it is great to hear you have reached a point where your really happy with your system, it has been a interesting journey to say the least and I only got to witness half of it. 

Regarding TV’s, if your still thinking of buying a new one, then I’d recommend that you consider buying the best biggest one you can. They all look way to small sooner than later.

Talk soon.

cheers,

Terry

So you coming here or am I going there ?

22 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

So you coming here or am I going there ?

Jeff (Cafad) is coming down here next weekend if you would like to join us, there is a spare bed for you. A warning though, attendance will entail, Music, BBQ’s, Beer ... sound like an idea?

If not convenient then we will get something sorted soon.

Call you later.

?

• Love 1