Darren69's stuff, to date.

Tried it for one track without subs.

Nope, love my subs, they just keep that little 5% of subterranean bass foundation there for the rest of the music to tower tall on.

So next is to re-test the DSPeaker management through the Ayon and play a bit more with speaker position and crossover settings.

My music seems to sound nicer with the 24/192 upsampling switched off and on filter 2.

Sounding very bloody nice right now.

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Tried it for one track without subs.

Nope, love my subs, they just keep that little 5% of subterranean bass foundation there for the rest of the music to tower tall on.

My music seems to sound nicer with the 24/192 upsampling switched off and on filter 2.

What those pissy little things... ?? ?

Strange, normally upsampling done well takes things up a level.

• Like 1

Looking superb mate, has it got that rock ‘n roll factor you are looking for? Lots of new stuff, might take a few days of blasting to show it’s true potential, new valves and woofers seem to dig deeper once they loosen up. You lucky bastard!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ooogh said:

Looking superb mate, has it got that rock ‘n roll factor you are looking for? Lots of new stuff, might take a few days of blasting to show it’s true potential, new valves and woofers seem to dig deeper once they loosen up. You lucky bastard!

Thanks mate, when are you dropping in for a liver and eardrum punishing weekend?

Never a truer word said, everything (including myself) needs to settle and then what's real will unfold. But for now, it can only get better and to answer your question, I am very happy with the big rock and roll sound of the JBL's. I wont say they are better than the Lenehans, the Lenehans remain the best sounding speakers I have heard and I think my partner likes them more than the JBL's but she listens to different stuff differently to me. She rightly commented that the JBL's don't have the quality bass that the ML5's have and it's true. But I listen to big stuff at big volumes and this arvo the big JBL's really delivered without protest. Where the ML5's would have been giving out warning whacks as the driver reached it's limits, this setup just blew my head off :D 

Have toed them in a bit and now the Filter 1 seems to be in place. All very interesting. @Jventer coming around this Sunday arvo for a little blast?

Am thinking I will toe them back out to halfway from whence they came but time will tell. I owe, I owe so off to work I go tomorrow so nothing more until Sunday.

Bluesound N100 also working excellent through the dac.

Have really missed hi fi of any kind (inc watching telly)  since offloading the Sigma and pre amp, very glad we have the option back.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, mikey d said:

I wouldn't be making judgements just yet Daz. Give it a while

As Mikey d said, Daz give it some time, the bass is the last thing to find its groove, especially with speakers. I think you will be wasting your time doing any tuning or setup until you have at least 30-50 hours on your new bits, just experience and enjoy until then.

• Like 3

Good lord man....soo happy to see you have (hopefully) arrived at that sound we're all been chasing. Mate im the first to admit my 4435's may not be the most accurate speaker out there bt they tick more boxes than they cross off for me so there keepers. 

Rock on brother!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Good lord man....soo happy to see you have (hopefully) arrived at that sound we're all been chasing. Mate im the first to admit my 4435's may not be the most accurate speaker out there bt they tick more boxes than they cross off for me so there keepers. 

Rock on brother!

Yep , I that your new rig is gunna be a lot of fun. Your gunna be grinnin & diggin the music rather than thinkin about it.

36 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Rock on brother!

That's exactly what its about, big huge Rock N Roll mate. Purpose made for tragics like us :D 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Darren69 said:

What a tank, got a hernia now ?

3E25750A-4D92-4C47-8C59-51C7B46B0F13.thumb.jpeg.c17a7a89c902a90cb448bdf95d31b62b.jpeg

Well 234V seems oddly specific...?  :ermm:

3 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Thanks mate, when are you dropping in for a liver and eardrum punishing weekend?

Never a truer word said, everything (including myself) needs to settle and then what's real will unfold. But for now, it can only get better and to answer your question, I am very happy with the big rock and roll sound of the JBL's. I wont say they are better than the Lenehans, the Lenehans remain the best sounding speakers I have heard and I think my partner likes them more than the JBL's but she listens to different stuff differently to me. She rightly commented that the JBL's don't have the quality bass that the ML5's have and it's true. But I listen to big stuff at big volumes and this arvo the big JBL's really delivered without protest. Where the ML5's would have been giving out warning whacks as the driver reached it's limits, this setup just blew my head off :D 

Have toed them in a bit and now the Filter 1 seems to be in place. All very interesting. @Jventer coming around this Sunday arvo for a little blast?

Am thinking I will toe them back out to halfway from whence they came but time will tell. I owe, I owe so off to work I go tomorrow so nothing more until Sunday.

Bluesound N100 also working excellent through the dac.

Have really missed hi fi of any kind (inc watching telly)  since offloading the Sigma and pre amp, very glad we have the option back.

Jesus!  Just how loud do you listen to stuff?  Living in an apartment sucks sometimes.  :( 

12 hours ago, mikey d said:

I wouldn't be making judgements just yet Daz. Give it a while

Ayon suggest 20 to 50 hours of play time. I can't say I have heard huge amounts of change as things settle, in my experience anyhow. You guys have better ears than me though.

Edited by Darren69

16 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Blasted the usual test tracks.

2F413513-2C6C-4D18-B25A-0CDD19C01395.thumb.jpeg.bb83ed9d35d2238f04e262720c877255.jpeg

B47A45DF-62E5-44DF-8EF7-280E8D0E45D7.thumb.jpeg.317bcede4da8a8b7f403eea40774ab48.jpeg

Initial crossover settings 

091B1472-6A26-4BBE-BC56-F6073DAC15CC.thumb.jpeg.9ed215a7119bfc1d1cc9b07310ba04ee.jpeg

The other new beast.

8DCA8EE0-C391-455E-AD25-4DA8884C9D7C.thumb.jpeg.7f9a6cf82a3692d7576f230d681df203.jpeg

Seems to like Tool, the evil bastard.

8471A3F0-745A-4657-BA92-369A9EFBA8B7.thumb.jpeg.a9343c3c95b6d4a3526fb8b576e2ae40.jpeg

sweet lamb of Jesus...…..   Lovely stuff Dazz.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

Ayon suggest 20 to 50 hours of play time. I can't say I have heard huge amounts of change as things settle, in my experience anyhow. You guys have better ears than me though.

Dazz, if you put new tooooobs in as well, they would be opening up after some run in as well.  That was my experience was I rolled tubes in previous kit

• Like 1

Got to agree that the subs do look a bit puny now, alongside the JBL's, but they probably will not be asked to do too much.

Nice to hear that all is well with the new JBL's and that you are happy with the sound....for now?

4 hours ago, soundbyte said:

Got to agree that the subs do look a bit puny now, alongside the JBL's, but they probably will not be asked to do too much.

Nice to hear that all is well with the new JBL's and that you are happy with the sound....for now?

Yes, they might look 'puny', I would definitely 'bend the knees' if you went to pick one up though :D  Awesome subs, REL, IMO.

Of course I am happy, this will do me for a while mate, I have arrived blah blah...

Nup, next thing is 6x9m colourbond shed with man-bathroom in the back, and new driveway and carport and then pay off house and go get another 400k and renovate.

...unless you come across an Auris II preamp of course......

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Yes, they might look 'puny', I would definitely 'bend the knees' if you went to pick one up though :D  Awesome subs, REL, IMO.

Of course I am happy, this will do me for a while mate, I have arrived blah blah...

Nup, next thing is 6x9m colourbond shed with man-bathroom in the back, and new driveway and carport and then pay off house and go get another 400k and renovate.

...unless you come across an Auris II preamp of course......

Sounds like retirement is a little while off still.

On 26/06/2019 at 1:56 PM, Darren69 said:

Seems to like Tool, the evil bastard.

Yeah that absolutely looks like a set up that would really like Tool ? Rock on brother? 

• Love 1

On 26/06/2019 at 5:24 PM, Darren69 said:

Where the ML5's would have been giving out warning whacks as the driver reached it's limits...

Typical two way audiophile speakers with smallish mid/woofers are seemingly always going to have trouble like this.

But a high-pass filter crossover in the 40-80Hz region pushing the bass to sub-woofers will greatly reduce mid/woofer cone movement and probably allow higher SPL's.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Satanica said:

Typical two way audiophile speakers with smallish mid/woofers are seemingly always going to have trouble like this.

But a high-pass filter crossover in the 40-80Hz region pushing the bass to sub-woofers will greatly reduce mid/woofer cone movement and probably allow higher SPL's.

True, the warning whacks happened at a very high SPL mind.

But yes, had I still had the HDP4 foureggzample, it would have been interesting.

• Like 1