Darren69's stuff, to date.

1 hour ago, Sirmorebeer said:

PS Audio V Parasound given ML5 is the constant. What's the general consensus? 

They are just different kinds of awesome. Different front ends were used as well. Would the Meridian beat the Directstream combo when fitted to the PS Audio gear and visa-versa for the PS Audio setup? We didn't try.

My setup vs the PS Audio setup, I prefer my current set up myself. Others in the room might disagree and it would not surprise me. They are very close.

One thing we all know is, ML5's are the dux nutz and best when teamed with the ribbontek SC's.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

I got 'Say' and the Captain Blue CD as well, looking forward to it.

As mentioned, you might like Anathema's latest mate.

I didn’t get Captain Blue, let me know what you think.

What no t-shirt, a bloke can never have too many black shirts :)

4 songs into the Optimist, sounds good, nice production.

• Like 2

I was discussing tonight again with my partner about your GTG, and she said that there should by somewhere for WAGS of us HiFi heads to vent and discuss their poor lives, geez I laughed.

Luckily they won’t be joining SNA, but I thought it was an interesting thought.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've never heard that big reference Meridian CD player you have, but I find the G series I can afford a bit more laid back with Mikes speakers than the PS audio gear, which makes it very easy to listen to. If I ever get my ML3's back with the new spring feet or my G08 back with a working drive I think i'll live happily ever after, but i've enjoyed seeing all the changes in that awesome room of yours and i'm sure you'll enjoy the ML5's :)

• Like 2

On 1/29/2018 at 7:49 PM, awayward said:

I was discussing tonight again with my partner about your GTG, and she said that there should by somewhere for WAGS of us HiFi heads to vent and discuss their poor lives, geez I laughed.

Luckily they won’t be joining SNA, but I thought it was an interesting thought.

Get them to join SNA and start a section with all the topics that they wish to talk about ........... it's just like reconciliation ........... :):) ....... we'll just be one big happy family

(guess who lives on his own .... ;))

• Like 1

Well I set up my latest toy last night, the DSPeaker Anti Mode Dual Core.

Thought I would check it was fully updated first and it all went OK, hooked up via USB to the Surface Pro. Then it's little screen went orange for quite a while and the computer told me it was still in USB mode and did I want to update again? Now anyone here knows how much  get along with pooters. Anyhoo, I updated again, same message comes up. I leave it for a while (instructions say to let it reboot) but nothing so 'safely' disconnected. Screen went white and stayed that way.

I will now leave out how I went and wore sack cloth, gnashed my teeth, threw dust on my head and denounced God.

Had a beer and went back and emailed DSPeaker support, thinking that was that until maybe Sunday arvo.

They responded within two minutes with the fix, which worked straight away. Amazing service. I thanked them very much, apologised to the inventors family for the curse I tried to implement on them earlier and went back to it.

SO- this was for subs only. Room acoustic treatment and time alignment.

Really easy to use (above withstanding), away it went woomping and making helicopter noises and generally trying to shake the house off it's moorings and wake the dead that are secretly buried underneath. Then it all went quiet after an amusing little end click and proudly told me it was finished and showed me squiggly lines.

Apparently I can get the squiggly lines off the unit through the USB so will endeavour to do so and display them for those who enjoy considering such things WICBA (when I can be arsed).

So (as the manual pre-empted) I am now suffering boomy bass withdrawal but it still sounds very nice. Am very happy with the unit, for the price and it's user-friendliness (read-numpty-proof, almost).

When I can find some OK XLR's (need one more set to go between the JC2 and the unit) I might set it up to correct the full range but Mikes speakers sound so bloody awesome that I doubt anything could make them sound better but watch this space anyhow.

We will see.

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

So (as the manual pre-empted) I am now suffering boomy bass withdrawal but it still sounds very nice. Am very happy with the unit, for the price and it's user-friendliness (read-numpty-proof, almost).

Aah yes, correct bass is not boomy. With any luck you should be able to hear clear and distinct bass notes.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Darren69 said:

Well I set up my latest toy last night, the DSPeaker Anti Mode Dual Core.

Interesting, I have my Subs turned off most of the time for music listening as there is a boomy ness to much bass energy sort of feel. It does not feel clean to match my sealed floorstanders.

Power Av kept banging on how good the DSPeaker Anti Mode was and now you and Peter from Deep Hz also recommended them but he was selling them. I might have to give one a go.

Thanks for sharing your experience sir Dazzler, Very interesting device indeed. Love to hear one sometime with my REL B1 someday as im fighting room modes in my small listening space but what im curious about is that everything i've read about EQ is that it only works at the measured position thus  making it sound worse at any other space than the measured position (i.e only sounds good at one spot and as such is not really a substitute for room treatments).

Can you confirm/deny this? i.e does the bass lobe badly at anything other than the measured possie?

1 hour ago, Tony ray said:

Interesting, I have my Subs turned off most of the time for music listening as there is a boomy ness to much bass energy sort of feel. It does not feel clean to match my sealed floorstanders.

Power Av kept banging on how good the DSPeaker Anti Mode was and now you and Peter from Deep Hz also recommended them but he was selling them. I might have to give one a go.

@jdh500

Edited by Darren69

1 hour ago, Tubularbells said:

Thanks for sharing your experience sir Dazzler, Very interesting device indeed. Love to hear one sometime with my REL B1 someday as im fighting room modes in my small listening space but what im curious about is that everything i've read about EQ is that it only works at the measured position thus  making it sound worse at any other space than the measured position (i.e only sounds good at one spot and as such is not really a substitute for room treatments).

Can you confirm/deny this? i.e does the bass lobe badly at anything other than the measured possie?

Hullo dear Doug,

Jaysus, wouldn't the JBL's fully pressurise the church?

Who doesn't like church pressure. :D 

I do not find this, no. In fact I am trying to get used to perceived lack of bass throughout the house. The bass sweet spot (the loo, haha) is now just the same as any other room. I cannot speak for these commentators as their houses/rooms may react this way but I can not understand how that would work but who knows.

There is also an option within calibration of an advanced setting where one may take multiple measurements and overlay them all to make a widened sweet spot, apparently. I have not done this as I am the only hi fi geek in the house so no one else really cares, so I just have the one sweet spot for me. :) 

Actually, for you it might be very interesting to slot the device in between your power amp and the mains and see how that pans out. A small room with motherous speakers- could work out OK, maybe. (?)

• Like 1

So, my XLR's have arrived, (thank you @scumbag) so at some stage I will experiment with going the full hog through the Anti Mode, ML5's, subs and all!

@awayward, behind my curtains that are behind my system, the window is blacked out with 100mm Polymax. I wonder if I removed the Polymax, if that might help the soundstage depth? Might give it a try.

Edited by Darren69

8 minutes ago, Darren69 said:

behind my curtains that are behind my system, the window is blacked out with 100mm Polymax. I wonder if I removed the Polymax, if that might help the soundstage depth? Might give it a try.

Go your hardest my good man...

Me thinks what's behind curtain number 2...

Won't have an effect any dramatic on soundstage...

What is the distance from the rear of the speaker to said curtain...

• Like 1

Nice work Darren, sounds like the  DSP spl sweep straightener convolution dual core 40bit thingo is fun

any photos of it in the rack ?

From an old room treatment bloke, would expect that leaving the polymax behind the stereo would work better for a deeper sound stage, but hey, might do the opposite for you up there near the equator

@Rob181 about 600mm I think. It's about as far as I can bring them out due to the 'shortness' of the room and they sound right there anyhow, mains-bass-wise.

@125dBmonster will endeavour to put up photos and also the correction graphs which can be uploaded from the machine, apparently. Yes, there is a bypass function but at the moment I have the 'compensation' jacked up as I wean myself from 'The Boom'.

Edited by Darren69