Darren69's stuff, to date.

Had a nice little GTG yestie with @@Jventer and another mate and it all sounded great with my own music and the music that the lads brought along.

Am getting used to the different sound, it has been interesting how the subs and DEQX changed the soundstage slightly but after a few speaker placement tweaks, all sounds lovely and big and integrated and room-filling and smooth.

• Like 1

So, my thoughts so far-

Am really enjoying my system, right now, it has never sounded so good.

Have stopped thinking about trying the Parasound JC2 pre, am a subwoofer convert and I don't believe this pre amp caters for subs.

Sent an email to Parasound but have received no reply.

Would like to try a PS Audio dac of some type (Nu wave-Perfectwave-DSD depending on available funds at the time) at some stage. This would take the DEQX out of the equation and would most probably try a Parasound P5 again, utilising it's subwoofer crossover and bypassing it's dac with analogue-in's using the Fractal XLR's that are sitting in my cupboard. The reason I am curious about this alternative setup is that I would like to see if it widens the soundstage back out. 'Cons' may be that the alternative system cannot compete with the DEQX when it comes to integration of multiple drivers, which it manages effortlessly.

For now though, have hollies coming up in Easter and home renos to do so will simply enjoy. :)

Edited by Darren69
  • Like 3

JC1 - As in John Curl? Are they genuine John Curl designed circuit in the power amps? What type of devices are employed in the output stage?

The JC1 is a genuine designed circuit by John Curl of Blowtorch fame. It employs differential jfet input stage and a pair of push pull mosfet drivers for a quite a few bipolars in the output stage.

EDIT: Seems I got Nelson Pass and John Curl mixed up.

Edited by DefQon
  • Like 1

Awesome set up [emoji106]

What's your go to album when demoing for your mates

Mines tool- vicarious ( the missus puts her devil horns up this )

And then some Santana (now she leaves the room)

I always seem to go straight for these two

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Paul, LOVE Vicarious. That song had one of my mates wives leave the room quickly one night as I wound the wick up for the final crescendo, haha.

A mate of mine loves Tools 'Prison Sex' which was a good test re- the new subs when he recently came around. He has a good ear for hi fi and has heard this song a million times, was pleased when he reckoned the bass was at a good level and well integrated after the song finished.

@@Jventer let out a hoot when it started. :D

Sounds great.

When the mates come around, I give them control of the system, let them play music for me. :)

Edited by Darren69

Nice one, Darren :)

So if you ever reject the 'Audiophile' tag, I'll just link you back to this thread ;)

Power cables even :party

Yeah I was a little bit surprised at the brilliant looking kit (hence the post prompting the thread) kowing from a few posts your taste (I think) for bit of Maiden & Karnivool & the like, that no doubt sounds effing spectacular, but excuse my generalisation that this serious hardware/setup/attention is often used to enable the sonic reproduction of more "audiophile" tunes?

That said, talking Tool I would lurve to hear Laterlaus album cranked through this :love:party:thumb:

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

@@betty boop

My dear brother Al, tis music first my friend. :)

Yeah, methinks if the LG dies, might go for a curved screen, unless they are phased out by then, haha. That's about the limit of my AV approach.

curved !!!! goodness yeesh…we've lost you I feel...

ofcourse music first…can enjoy that on big screen too…hehe and nothing like sitting back watching a flick or two cuddled up with loved ones :D 

• Like 1

Bloody nice mate! Those JC1's are brilliant -- IMO the power amp is the "heart" of any system, it pumps out the sound to your speakers as the heart pumps blood and oxygen through our bodies! John Curl's finest work, exceptional.

A very nicely done design of J-FET input stage, folIowed by MOSFETS at the driver stages, then nine pairs of bipolar power transistors delivering a beautiful 400watts into 8ohms!!

I've taken the liberty of a nudie. 

post-113548-0-25155800-1448187538_thumb.

• Like 5

@@The Fez they are beautiful amps, I am blessed to have had them come up here for next to nothing as one had gone pop, and then blessed again to have Dr Zaph take them under his wing and make everything sing again.

Every time I look at them, and the other stuff (PS Audio-DEQX-Focals etc) I remember that when this all started a few years back, I never thought I would end up with such a quality set up.

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/69056-fs-parasound-jc-1-mono-power-amplifier-one-working-only/?hl=%2Bparasound+%2Bjc1

If and when a JC2 pre comes up at a price I am OK to pay, would like to have a play with that too.

• Like 3