"door to somewhere in your front yard" service

Never forget that 50% of the population has a below average IQ.

Seems most of them work in the delivery industry.

I don't think IQ has anything to do with it honestly, more like complete lack of care factor.  

Dropping a box over a 5-6 foot fence is a deliberate & reckless act and no doubt in breach of the courier company guidelines.  I would think the courier company/PO is liable irrespective of the package being insured, Insurance after all only covers accidental loss/damage.  

Edited by David.M
  • Like 1

I don't think IQ has anything to do with it honestly, more like complete lack of care factor.  

Dropping a box over a 5-6 foot fence is a deliberate & reckless act and no doubt in breach of the courier company guidelines.  I would think the courier company/PO is liable irrespective of the package being insured, Insurance after all only covers accidental loss/damage.  

This.

Absolutely and utterly correct. :thumb:

It is about giving a schit and doing a job competently and with some degree of customer care. An IQ of 180 is not required

• Like 1

Having been in 'control' of some interesting characters over time, the most common affliction is having a set against the world.

Hence, they take out their frustrations upon the freight, often feigning a don't give a **** attitude to cover it.

The second biggest problem is low IQ, without a doubt.

• Like 1

After reading the entire article, I think it only stands to reason that the sender is an idiot. Fine, the goods appear to have been dropped on the other side of the fence but that does not excuse the sender for failure to take out the appropriate levels of cover for the item before sending it in transit with Smart Send/Star Track. If the items are worth so much, how difficult was it to insure the items beforehand?

Signature on delivery does not cost alot of money. Insurance is worth while for the majority of items sent anywhere via Australia Post or any other handling service, to protect all parties in any transaction for goods. I bet the carton depicted in the picture from the article weighs alot more than 5kg so it stands to reason that, without the occupant being at home, the delivery driver would have thought it would be all right to deposit the goods on the other side of the fence. I still think it is risky sending any turntable, no matter what the cost of it, via a parcel service unless you know how to disassemble the platter, etc. and pack individual parts carefully. 

Couriers aren't oxen but are expected to treat everything with utmost care in their roles. It's interesting that there is no "Fragile Handle With Care" tape wrapping the item. I don't feel sympathy which seems to be what the Daily Telegraph has implied the reader should feel from the byline of the article.

Brett.

That seems like a very one-sided interpretation to me.

Yes, the sender should certainly have taken out insurance, but dropping a weighty parcel over the fence looks like a clear cut case of wilful negligence to me. Whoever delivered it would have felt the weight of the parcel, and would have known that their actions would be very likely to damage the contents. The excuses given by the delivery company sound pretty lame to me too. It sounds like they simply just don't care.

I don't think low IQ is a factor. I think a lack of dedication to the job is the problem. If you are dissatisfied with your job then you do not give a stuff. You could be intelligent but if you don't care you will do not do your job properly

I wonder if couriers quit and become plumbers?

They never seem to be happy either

I have had a plumber who became a courier.

But anyway, I had control of 3 merged companies and one of the guys was a Vietnam Vet.............with one arm.

I had a job........20 odd cartons from a solicitor's office on something like the 23rd floor around to another building's upper floor.

I gave the job to a guy with two arms, as I thought he'd be quicker and gave the one armed guy a single box to somewhere out of the city.

In my mind, it was an efficient allocation of resources.

To him (yes, he went ballistic and threatened to kill me........it's why I was behind bullet proof glass) I was discriminating against him by not treating him the same as a two armed courier.

(we'd also had complaints that he was a bit smelly so it was best to have him in warehouseland than in offices)

Edited by LogicprObe

Now you mentioned "insurance", Brett ... but my understanding when you do take out insurance when you send stuff via A/Post, for instance ... is that they will only pay if the item:

• goes missing (ie. does not arrive, and you've paid for tracking/sign for delivery), or
  • is totally destroyed - like, if the delivery truck caught on fire.
They will not pay out for "damage" - which is what happened here.

Andy

With Australia Post, if you haven't paid for full cover for the item, then all you are entitled is " zero" and with registered post its $20. When you ask for insurance, the cost is dependent of the value of the content. To claim in case of lost or damage, ensure you take photos of the contents and the the box it is packaged in, so if in case it arrives damaged you must notify Australia Post ASAP, there are claim forms that must have all the t cross and I dotted, so ensure you fill it out correctly, otherwise the claim gets rejected. Im lucky enough to not have items delivered damaged but some packages have been damaged and possible been tampered with but the content remained intact. I've had them not even tried ringing the door bell and tried knocking on the door and the package left in plain site from the road which is against there policy, so it pays to have a signature or instructions to be picked up at the Post Office.