Gieseler Audio

Low noise power supplies, 5v, 9v & 12v.

Hi Clay,

Registering my interest in a +/-12v and +5v dc supply. ~2-3A would be good. Would like to use it for a Najda DSP module. Could also use it for a miniITX/ppa usb card setup.

Cheers!

Sponsor

Hey just found this

http://www.tortech.com.au/power-supply-australia/ac-power-supply/Input-240v-50hz-output-15v-ac-5amp-ac-power-supply

15 v 5A AC output, looks like it would do the job nicely where you need a bit more current.

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Just thought I'd be the first to ask a standard newbie question but what exactly is the purpose of these low-noise power supplies and what do they go with?

Just thought I'd be the first to ask a standard newbie question but what exactly is the purpose of these low-noise power supplies and what do they go with?

I cant tell you the technical terms, but the theory is that the power you feed your equipment with has an influence on the sound.. Computers were not designed for music, so by improving a few things in there it gets better. These power supplies can power a dac, or a computer and or parts thereof, a hard disc, a usb/spdif converter, a music server etc. 

I have and have had a number of Clays supplies that I use/used for various things.  Mostly its to replace switching mode supplies.  You stick such a supply on a scope, and I have done this at Clays shop where he has the proper test gear, and its full of high frequency hash.  That gets down inside equipment and radiates about causing problems.

1.  I used it on a Chord Cute DAC - it lifts it to another level.  People have posted its then as good their more expensive DAC's but at a much cheaper cost.  I haven't done that comparison but can confirm its a definite step up.

2  Used on my Off-Ramp.  The switching mode power supply supplied produces horrid hash (it was the one I tested at Clays) - and the maker Steve Nugent recognises a linear supply is much better, and will supply his dynamo supply for $769US.  Clays supply is much cheaper than the base price of $769 plus you don't have our bad exchange rate, importing issues and shipping which makes it even more expensive.  I got him to make me one - it was significantly better with it for a much cheaper price.

3.  The supply for a NUC computer as a music server.  Clay makes a full on music server but a simple NUC with a good supply is nearly as good - at a much cheaper price.  Its what I use as a server when I used a computer.  I am moving to my Oppo 105 with Tidal, but having heard the difference between the NUC and a full on server simply couldn't justify the extra cost.

Thanks

Bill 

Edited by bhobba

Ahhh, I see. Thank you Jventer and bhobba!

I might be interested in getting one, depending on what DACs it would be compatible with.

Admin

Well you know I'm interested Clay! :)

for the less technically minded of us here ie. me, is there a way to work out what voltage model i would need for my dac

Sponsor

Hi Murray,

are you talking about the LM502ca? That cannot be run from a seperate power supply.

Wow, nice looking DAC.

Very interested. [How, Clay,do you think the 12V will work vs. Choke-filtered PSU that seem to be well-regarded for music PC?]

Hi Murray,

are you talking about the LM502ca? That cannot be run from a seperate power supply.

Wow, nice looking DAC.

Hi Clay,

Thanks for the reply, yes I was talking about that dac, well that was a short lived upgrade path :-)

Sponsor

Hi zydeco,

the choke design that Chanh showed us is very nice & will probably sound better than even the best regulated designs. It will cost considerable more though. Hammond chokes from the US plus a Hashimoto transformer from Japan & Mundorf capacitors from Germany, brilliant combination. A bit like Grange I suppose, it you want the best but it's going to cost big time. My power supply design is far more down to earth but is well engineered with good quality components & a big step up from the Chinese EBay stuff. I have found some very nice regulators from Japan & after a week of R&D & some new techniques I'm very happy with the results. They will stack up well against the imported opposition, match performance & come with a local two year warranty.

Hi zydeco,

the choke design that Chanh showed us is very nice & will probably sound better than even the best regulated designs. It will cost considerable more though. Hammond chokes from the US plus a Hashimoto transformer from Japan & Mundorf capacitors from Germany, brilliant combination. A bit like Grange I suppose, it you want the best but it's going to cost big time. My power supply design is far more down to earth but is well engineered with good quality components & a big step up from the Chinese EBay stuff. I have found some very nice regulators from Japan & after a week of R&D & some new techniques I'm very happy with the results. They will stack up well against the imported opposition, match performance & come with a local two year warranty.

The Hammond chokes are just cheapy run-of-the-mill production line transformers.  You could get better ones (that cost more of course) in Oz.  I am not familiar with the Hashimotos, but I reckon you could get comparable quality in this country as well.  As for caps, I would almost bet that a larger electrolytic would sound better in this application than a smaller film or paper cap like the Mundorfs.  But still, no easy electrical approval which makes things difficult if you are selling these supplies Clay.  Parts cost alone would be about $400 but you would be doing it with mostly Australian parts and will benefit by not having to be too concerned about the crappy dollar conversion at the moment.

By the way Clay, I like your initiative here with these supplies.  I think there is a good market for them. :thumb:

@@muznuts ....... Cheap though ............. :)

ha, yep cheapest yet...

@@Gieseler Audio, in the interest of being able to sound more knowledgeable, why cant the LM 502ca have an external power supply?  simple version please  :-)

Sponsor

Aftermarket external power supplies only work on devices that have external power supplies. The LM 502ca was never designed to run from anything other than its internal supply that's why it has a IEC mains input socket on the rear.

My power supplies are for things like a NUC, Squeezebox, Rega DAC etc. All of these have external PSU's so the units themselves have small DC barrel sockets, eg 12v DC in.

Aftermarket external power supplies only work on devices that have external power supplies. The LM 502ca was never designed to run from anything other than its internal supply that's why it has a IEC mains input socket on the rear.

My power supplies are for things like a NUC, Squeezebox, Rega DAC etc. All of these have external PSU's so the units themselves have small DC barrel sockets, eg 12v DC in.

Rega DAC isn't external. Unless the DAC-R is...

Sponsor

Hi John - you are totally correct, the Rega DACs use their own internal supplies. I meant to say the Arcam ir DAC. The Uptone Audio JS-2 looks awesum, love the big R-transformer & choke. My PSU's are not in that league, but certainly a lot cheaper. Just did a quick calculation $925 us = $1305 Aus + say $100 freight $1405 now GST $140 so total of $1545 ouch! Probably cop a brokerage fee too, that happen to Bill Hobber recently on a over $1000 item. I will do some costing this morning but doubt even the biggest one will be over $500 & that's including delivery.

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Probably cop a brokerage fee too, that happen to Bill Hobber recently on a over $1000 item

Its worse - a LOT worse than just that.

If they stop it, and they will for the slightest reason, its such a horrid process you really have to engage a broker to sort it out.  And even if there is no duty etc, get this, they charge you a $40 Customs improvement fee to improve their service to you.  I refuse, utterly refuse, to get anything of any actual value overseas any more - it really is that bad.  A few parts worth hardly anything from parts connection etc is all I will do in the future. 

Thanks

Bill 

Hi Clay. I've got a Keces DC116 - which with current exchange rates probably costs a touch over $500. It's dual power - 5v and 9v; both at 2A.

If you can price your units under the $400 mark - my guess is that you would move a lot of them. The 5v and 9v model is perfect for powering a Squeezebox Touch and a Remedy reclocker (both of which I own).

Yep, same combo for me too - then I would "deep-six" my TeraDak toy one

Also looking to power a 12V Antipodes DS with another unit.

As an aside, has anybody ever ripped open an Apple TV and replaced the internal SMPS? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been contemplating hdplex, I need a lpsu that will power my celeron NUC (I think it's 19v, SBT, and my regen Amber from uptone)

Can you pm me with details please? I'd be keen.

I've been contemplating hdplex, I need a lpsu that will power my celeron NUC (I think it's 19v, SBT, and my regen Amber from uptone)

Can you pm me with details please? I'd be [email protected] Gieseler Audio

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD