Low noise power supplies, 5v, 9v & 12v.

Gieseler Audio

Hi John,

Nice to hear from you.

Just had a quick look at the Antipodes DS & yes I think a external low noise linear PSU would definately pick the game up a bit.

Of course you won't know until you try but if you pick up all the freight costs I'm happy to take my PSU back if there is no sound improvement. I have a new higher current version which should be perfect for the DS server.

12v DC out at 5A

Cost $350 delivered.

Cheers

Clay

Clay

Thanks for the reply.

Currently re-looking at the DS, as previously had bought a 2nd hand DX from Rob here on SNA, but the DX had a small accident prior to postage and the DS is now back on my list.

Believe the Antipodes DS would need the higher current PSU, so glad you are now doing these  :)

I may be asking a silly question here, sorry, but what is the difference between semi switchied PU, and Linear PU (like yours). Antipodes say below: 

"The semi-switched power supply uses switching elements in the AC to DC section, which significantly reduces cost, size and heat. But the DC regulation stage is fully linear and so this power supply performs well beyond any switch-mode power supply can for a music server."

Cheers

John

John pretty much all SMPS work that way. The switching side is very efficient so hardly any heat is produced & it is relatively cheap to produce for the raw DC source voltage. Then following that they use normal linear regulators like a linear supply. In terms of instantaneous power delivery a SMPS can often be better than a linear supply. IMO where they fall down is the raw DC voltage always contains HF noise which is often hard to totally remove. The linear regulators following the switching DC source voltage are very poor at removing HF noise. Without actually having one of their supplies in front of me to measure with my scope I have no way of telling how well the noise as been removed.

The bottom line of course is in the listening & in my experience replacing a switching supply with an all linear one on a music server definately cleans up the sound a bit. It seems to remove the graininess & the soundstage & detail picks up a bit.

It is is interesting that the more expensive DX version uses an all linear supply & not a semi switched unit.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Clay. I'm certainly enjoying all this activity and upcoming new gear! Now, it looks like you're mad busy and copping loads of questions about power supplies, your new dac or dac/pre and so on.

Would it save you time if you compiled a lot of these question/answers on the website? For example, under power supplies, you could have headings for 5v, 9v, 15v and so on, and then list the hardware it'd be compatible with? As people ask about their gear, you could add it to the "compatible" list on the site?

@@Suopermanni > So any improvement using the iPower over the wall-wart? (Got my answer!)

But I would like to know: And, did you buy the iPower in Australia or sent overseas for it? Sorry about this... :hijacked:

iPower cannot be ordered in Australia yet as it is undergoing and awaiting electrical compliance certification approval.

Hi juicester,

I'm just having a little trouble working out what sort of PSU they supply with it. Not a lot of info in the specifications from the website.

If it just a basic switch mode plug plug pack then yes there should definitely be an improvement using one of my low noise supplies.

Hi juicester,

I'm just having a little trouble working out what sort of PSU they supply with it. Not a lot of info in the specifications from the website.

If it just a basic switch mode plug plug pack then yes there should definitely be an improvement using one of my low noise supplies.

ill take a photo of it..

Hi, just joined and wanted to give a big thumbs up to Clay and his power supply. I just bought and setup a Raspberry Pi 3 and Hifiberry digital+ as my new streaming solution. I thought I would try a decent power supply as people here were saying it does make an audible difference for a comparatively small outlay. Well I expected to hear a small improvement, but as soon as I connected it up I was blown away by the difference it made. Extended dynamics and timbre are the 2 words that come to mind. So much more definition inside the sound and the bass. Clay was a pleasure to deal with and I look forward to his dac/pre.

• Like 3

Juicester

re psu  - the supplied one is a pretty standard SMPS (switch mode) so I would think a good low noise linear PSU (like mine) would definitely pick up the game in the audio department.

Cost for my standard supply with 24v output @ 700 ma max is $275 which includes delivery.

Juicester

re psu  - the supplied one is a pretty standard SMPS (switch mode) so I would think a good low noise linear PSU (like mine) would definitely pick up the game in the audio department.

Cost for my standard supply with 24v output @ 700 ma max is $275 which includes delivery.

Great thanks.

I'm seriously considering giving something like this a go or this. Any potential dangers? Love the idea of using a battery.

Edited by Juicester

• 2 months later...
On 6/4/2016 at 0:51 PM, Gieseler Audio said:

Hi Matt,

A device only draws as much currents as it needs so a suitable power supply should be able to safely provide more current than the device is rated at. My dual supply has a current rating of 1.5 Amps (1500 ma) on each output so should be fine. The dual can be configured with 12v + 15v or 16v outputs so it would be fine to power both your devices.

Cost is $400 which includes delivery & two warranty. Lead time is normally just a few days.

Hi Clay,

About to place an order (well, my wife will for my birthday!!) but before I/we do, I just want to ensure I have all the details correct for a dual LPS for the following:

1. LH Labs Pulse Infinity 2.0 DAC @ 12 volts

2. Aurelic Aries Mini @ 15/16volts?

Is it still $400 or do you offer birthday specials??

Cheers

Matthew

• Like 2

Auralic actually says 1 amp minimum but it is good to have the headroom if you are (like me) running an external hard drive. Suppliers of aftermarket units will give you upwards of 1.5amps. Clay will remember the spec's on the unit I got off him (it was serial number 0001 after all!).

Edited by scumbag

Hi Matthew,

actually since June when I replied to that question I am now finding that my dual (or triple) PSU really only suits something like a music server where you are powering seperate devices that are all in a common case with a common ground.

In your situation where where you have completely seperate devices they really need independent PSU's. 

I can certainly offer a package discount though for two singles purchased togerther.

When I get to work tomorrow I will work out a package with two seperate PSU's & PM you the details.

Cheers

Clay

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gieseler Audio said:

Hi Matthew,

actually since June when I replied to that question I am now finding that my dual (or triple) PSU really only suits something like a music server where you are powering seperate devices that are all in a common case with a common ground.

In your situation where where you have completely seperate devices they really need independent PSU's. 

I can certainly offer a package discount though for two singles purchased togerther.

When I get to work tomorrow I will work out a package with two seperate PSU's & PM you the details.

Cheers

Clay

Happy Birthday Matthew!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/09/2016 at 7:03 PM, Gieseler Audio said:

Hi Matthew,

Cheers

Clay

Clay,

I got a dual supply to cover my microRendu and Media Converter (fibre optic / Ethernet). Are you now recommending two separate PSUs because of the example above?

I've got no complaints.

John

Hi John,

good question. It is a little tricky to predict weather a dual power supply with a common negative (like my dual supply) will suit a suitation with two independant devices. In most suitations it is probably OK. Your two devices are working correctly so obviously the negative power input to each device goes to ground which is the usual case. Also fiber optic & Ethernet connections are usually isolated from ground. If I actually have the devices in front of me or a service manual I can check this but that is not always the case. I guess I'm just playing it safe as I don't always know what two device will be connected to my dual PSU. The double & triple supplies were originally designed for a music server situation to power say a M/B, HD & USB card all separately. The negative of all those components is common & goes to ground so my supply is fine. Occasionally I have come across externally DC powered devices where there is something unusual going on like a bridge rectifier on the DC input or some arrangement to develope split rails. Powering a device like that with a standard negative earth unit from the same supply would cause a problem. Sorry for the long answer but it is complicated. The large expensive multi output linear supplies have a seperate winding on the mains transformer for each supply/output so all outputs have fully independent floating negatives. I hope this helps explain the situation. 

• Like 2