Low noise power supplies, 5v, 9v & 12v.

Gieseler Audio

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay but I have had a big rush on Klein DAC orders so I’ve been flat out with that.

I have done some prototyping & testing on the power supplies though & have come up with the design for the first two basic models.

Model One.  5v or 9v @ 1.5A It will have a single output which can be 5v or 9v selectable via a recessed switch on the rear panel. Power source will be the same as the Klein DAC, external 10v AC  2.4A transformer. The output connector will be a Neutrik female XLR socket with gold plated pins. For the DC power lead I have picked a good quality 10A 600mm long type with a pre made moulded on barrel connector. This type is far more durable than making up one with the usual DC barrel plug. It will be available in the usual 5.5mm dia with either 2.1mm 2.5mm centre pin size. Custom or odd sized ones can be requested on ordering. The cable will be terminated with a matching Neutrik gold pin male plug. The Neutrik XLR connectors are very good with a 16A rating (3 pin), low contact resistance & far better that the usual flimsy CB microphone types that a lot of supplier use.

Model two. The same as above but with a fixed 12v output  @  1.5A.

OK tech stuff on the DC output quality. After trying various combinations I’ve gone with a tracking pre reg cascaded design using low noise Japanese LDO regulators. I have my own shunt & super reg designs which are great but in this application the cascaded tracking pre reg works best.  I have also done a little circuit tweaking with CCS’s & CLC filtering. The output is current limited & short circuit proof. As usual all electronic components will be of top quality. Cree Schottky SIC Diodes, Nichicon Fine Gold & Elna Silmic II caps, Vishay resistors & the whole lot on a high quality PCB with Zero internal wiring. I’m just waiting on a new low noise active scope probe but from initial testing & calculations the output noise level should be around 20 to 40 uV’s  & ripple rejection 100+ db. Using an external transformer gives super low hum levels as well. I have not tried to achieve ridiculously low uV noise levels as this does not automatically equate to the best sound quality. I remember once during a PDX DAC tweaking exercise I removed the well implemented  LM317/337 design & replaced  it with super spec  mega low noise regs & it actually sounded way worse.  This design is similar to my previous 12 v NUC unit which received excellent feedback on its sonic qualities, Bill Hobber feel free to comment!  I’m hoping to get the PCB design finalised this weekend & send it to the fabricators  so  all going well I should have some finished units ready for sale in a couple of weeks. Costing? Definitely under four hundred but I will I need to check figures again & will get back with a final price over the weekend.  

Regards Clay 

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 4

I'm guessing that my little Chinese 12v 1.5A supply for my Bel Canto CDP would be a prime candidate for this. Wonder if there would be sonic improvements given that I only use the digital out from it (transport)

Edited by Grimmie

\Bill Hobber feel free to comment!

At the moment I have lent my Off Ramp with Clays previous power supply to Mike Lenehan.

I am hoping to pop down to Clay soon to drop off my Truth pre so he can check it against his new pre.  Its a tough test - the Truth is very transparent - at first I thought it utterly transparent - but extended listening show it wasn't.  If Clay can have a 12v supply ready we can see what it does with the Off-Ramp.  I am not using my Nuc now (switched over to my Oppo) - probably will sell it later but can see what the new PS does to that compared to the older one.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mac mini 2009 psu's

I thought I would do a post here rather than multiple PM's. I won't be doing a version, the main reason is that Apple used a very odd ball power plug that does not seem to be available anywhere. Power requirements are quite high too at 18.5 v 6A. IMHO it is probably not worth paying big dollars for a MM LPS as due to their age (6yrs) failure rate would be getting higher now. I used to do a lot of warranty work & the capacitor failure rate of modern equipment after 5+ years is high. Anything with a soft touch power switch has quite a bit of internal circuitry powered on 24/7 so the caps are wearing out even in standby. Anyway just my two cents worth.

• Like 1

I had a good chat with Marc the other day & we both agreed that some good quality low noise 5v, 9v & 12v locally produced power supplies would go down well.

I have already done quite a bit work in this area & have built several 12v Intel NUC psu's which customers were most impressed with. I know there are lots of low priced units on EBay but they generally use low quality parts especially in the filter cap, diode  area & the mains input voltage is often a bit low ie. 220v. There are some great units coming out of the US but with our plummeting dollar & high postal cost don't represent good value. What I am proposing is two models & both  will be powered by external fully AUS  approved 240v AC transformers. I love using external AC supplies as  I then have full control over rectification filter cap choice etc.. OK so a 5v or 9v (pick voltage on order) at about 2A & a 12v unit at 2.5A. I am limited to these maximum currents by the external transformer choice, trying to keep everything legal & approved. I know you guys like to see massive current ratings but even a mini itx MB only draws about one amp after initial start up surge. I find diode & capacitor choice has a much bigger effect on sonic qualities than an outright current rating.  Case style will be the same as the Klein DAC series as I have this well sorted now. Canadian manufactured Hammond extruded aluminium case with slide in PCB & zero internal wiring. I will be using high spec very low noise regulators. That give great protection & will make them short circuit proof. Noise levels from these are now the same as the boutique  super regs that are so popular.   Marc also suggested the possibility of a DIY version ie populated board only which could be fitted into a custom server case. Lots to think about & any feed back much appreciated.

Clay,

I've been on a never-ending search for any local versions of the old RS-1 power supply for Rane products of about 20 years old or more. They produce 18vac and do it via "telephone" cables. I've attached the old datasheet. I currently have 2 of the fpe13 parametric EQ's that I want to use and I might look for one of the crossovers, if a 3 or 4 output power supply could be located or built.

I went as far as buying some Harbuch transformers, but as usual, but intentions are far too big for my technical skill.

Any suggestions?

fpe13dat.pdf

fpe13man.pdf

rs1dat.pdf

Hi cloth ears,

Rane gear, nice. I setup a three way active speaker system at home once using one of their crossovers. Worked well.

Now to your power supply. 18 v AC with a centre tap & via rj45 plug. Unfortunately I have nothing even remotely like that. I suggest you find a local Tech & get him to make up one for you. Maybe do a post in the DIY section asking for recommendations on some Vic techs.

Cheers Clay

Guest thathifiguy

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay but I have had a big rush on Klein DAC orders so I’ve been flat out with that.

I have done some prototyping & testing on the power supplies though & have come up with the design for the first two basic models.

Model One.  5v or 9v @ 1.5A It will have a single output which can be 5v or 9v selectable via a recessed switch on the rear panel. Power source will be the same as the Klein DAC, external 10v AC  2.4A transformer. The output connector will be a Neutrik female XLR socket with gold plated pins. For the DC power lead I have picked a good quality 10A 600mm long type with a pre made moulded on barrel connector. This type is far more durable than making up one with the usual DC barrel plug. It will be available in the usual 5.5mm dia with either 2.1mm 2.5mm centre pin size. Custom or odd sized ones can be requested on ordering. The cable will be terminated with a matching Neutrik gold pin male plug. The Neutrik XLR connectors are very good with a 16A rating (3 pin), low contact resistance & far better that the usual flimsy CB microphone types that a lot of supplier use.

Hi Clay,

Would this model you mention here suit a W4S Remedy Reclocker?

Cheers,

Tarkan.

Guest scumbag

@, I believe you need 9V - not sure of the amperage but you can easily get this off your current power supply. Clay will have to check but the proposed units he will be supplying will do 9volt and 1.5amps which will be fine as your unit will probably only require 1amp at most. Clay will be able to confirm

Mark

Hi Tarkan,

Yes it should be be perfect for that.

Quick up date. The design for the basic model has been finalised & the PCB's were ordered on Wednesday. Probably this time next week I will have the boards so I should have them available for sale in say ten days. It is quite flexible with internal jumper settings for 5v, 7.5v (USB Regen), 9v, 12v & 16v all at 1.5 Amps. The 12v & 16v range will require a different transformer. Price, should be $350 delivered Australia wide but I will confirm this next week. The 12v/16v option will require a bigger & heavier transformer so will probably end up at $400 delivered. I'm very happy with the final design, ripple & noise levels are so low I'm going to have to upgrade my test gear to even see it. It is short circuit proof as well which is always handy. I have also tracked down a high current (8.5A) Aus approved external transformer so this will be perfect for a dual output version. Say 12v @ 3A (or 5A) + 9v or 12v @ 1.5A so perfect for a Atom based M/B with a Sotm USB card. This should be available in less than month as I'm working on the boards now. I can also supply a customised voltage output in the 5v to 16v range, just specify when ordering. Also18v to 24v will be available as well but as it is less popular just PM me about it.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 4

Guest scumbag

Clay,

Just to confirm (I might be having a thick moment again) but you mention 2 power supplies that both offer 16volt. I also see that the smaller unit offer 16v at 1.5amp. If I need the 16v and 1amp then can you confirm that the smaller unit would be suitable for the Auralic Mini as I don't think I need high current and volts?

The unit I am using for my reference is this one: https://www.sbooster.com/botw-pp-eco-15v-16v/auralic-aries-le

It has a switch for 15v and 16v and when set to 16v outputs 1amp. This ties in with the power pack that Auralic offers themselves that they state can be used with the Auralic Mini - http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/auralic-aries-hardware-impressions-and-information-21261/index3.html (note comment - "It is a very typical DC 5.5/2.5 jack rate at 16V/1A.")

Thanks, 

Mark

Hi Mark,

The power supply I am about to release has a output voltage range of 5v to 16v which will be preset by an internal jumper. There is only one model but the external transformer I supply with it will depend on what voltage you require. For voltages between 5v to 9v it will come with a 10v 2.4A transformer ( same as the Klein one) For voltages between 12v to 16v it will come with a 16v 2.5A transformer. Regardless of what output voltage the power supply is set to there will a maximum of 1.5 Amps available. The device it is powering only draws enough current to run correctly. For your Auralic Mini you would need the bigger transformer as it requires 16v. It just makes it more versatile as someone that brought a 5v version can later change it to a 12v simply by upgrading to a different external transformer. This will be way cheaper (say $50) vs buying a whole new power supply. I hope this makes it clearer.

Regards Clay

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Clay

I dont understand all these things, so have a question please. 

Does it matter if one has more amps than necessary? So if one has a product that require say 5V at 1A is it OK to use a power supply that produces 5V at 1.5A. I thought so, but just want to make sure, please.

• Like 1

Guest scumbag

Mark as you only need 1 Amp for the Auralic mini I could supply a lower current transformer so that would bring the price down to the same as the 5v - 9v version ($350)

Clay,

If it doesn't compromise performance that's great. If you feel there's any risk that it might cause some sort of compromise then I am happy to revert to the higher spec' transformer.

Regards

Mark

It is ok @@Jventer because the item you are powering will only draw what it needs. However, the higher current power supplies can be more noisy so if you only need 1A then you will probably get a better result with a 1A supply rather than a 5A supply. That is not a solid hard and fast rule but a generalisation, because with a fair bit of effort the higher current supplies can also be very low noise.

• Like 2

It is ok @@Jventer because the item you are powering will only draw what it needs. However, the higher current power supplies can be more noisy so if you only need 1A then you will probably get a better result with a 1A supply rather than a 5A supply. That is not a solid hard and fast rule but a generalisation, because with a fair bit of effort the higher current supplies can also be very low noise.

Thanks Anthony

The unit I am using for my reference is this one: https://www.sbooster.com/botw-pp-eco-15v-16v/auralic-aries-le

It has a switch for 15v and 16v and when set to 16v outputs 1amp. This ties in with the power pack that Auralic offers themselves that they state can be used with the Auralic Mini - http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/auralic-aries-hardware-impressions-and-information-21261/index3.html (note comment - "It is a very typical DC 5.5/2.5 jack rate at 16V/1A.")

Thanks, 

Mark

Hi Mark,

I would like give a short reaction on the above.

First of all, thank you for using one of our upgrade products!

The 15-16V BOTW P&P ECO power supply has a power rating of 15V - 2.5A and when you switch to 16V the output is rated at 1.85A instead of the 1A you mentioned.

By the way, the power consumption of the Aries mini will depend on the configuration and the USB connections of the Aries Mini. A power supply with a rating of 1A will be sufficient, if you use the Aries Mini without internal HDD and without USB devices, that need to be powered by the power supply of the Aries Mini as well.

An installed internal HDD will generate a high peak load in case of a high performance solid state drive. Our advice is to use a power supply with a power rating of 1.5A or higher when you want to use the Mini with an internal SSD and external USB powered devices.  This to make sure that you have enough head-room and to have all the components perform at their best.

Regards,

Karin

Edited by Karin

Guest scumbag

@@Karin,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your detailed and very helpful response! So, to summarise, 1.5A is OK but more might be good to provide a buffer for peak power usage. Very useful information.

Regards

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Sneak preview.

Boards finally arrived late yesterday,  one up & running today, passed all test with flying colours including thermal & short circuit - powering  my NUC as we speak.

Just finalising pricing & models. I will post more info in the next few days.

post-112957-0-44250800-1446199498_thumb.

post-112957-0-94569800-1446199591_thumb.

• Like 10