SOLD: FS NAD M51

Item: NAD M51 DAC

Price: $850 FIRM plus shipping

Item condition: Excellent condition as barely used.

Reason for selling: Sticking to vinyl and cd, managing music files a PIA

Payment method: Cash and local pickup preferred. Willing to ship interstate but at buyers expense

Extra info: Comes with all accessories, manual, remote and box.  Looks new

Can post​ picks if required.

​

• Like 1

Sticking to vinyl and cd, managing music files a PIA

I never thought someone would consider managing music files more of a pain than using vinyl - or cds. You must be doing it wrong :)

Isn't there like heaps of maintenance with vinyl? Cleaning records, turntable set up, tonearm adjustments, storage, getting up to turn the record over after a handful of songs, etc. All that stuff. Shuffle mode must be a real workout.

Oh well - I guess it is as good a reason as any.

Edited by aab
  • Like 3

I never thought someone would consider managing music files more of a pain than using vinyl - or cds. You must be doing it wrong :)

Isn't there like heaps of maintenance with vinyl? Cleaning records, turntable set up, tonearm adjustments, storage, getting up to turn the record over after a handful of songs, etc. All that stuff. Shuffle mode must be a real workout.

Oh well - I guess it is as good a reason as any.

It can be such a PITA especially if you're into classical music.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It can be such a PITA especially if you're into classical music.

Now I am more confused. I'll assume your are saying classical musical files are a PITA and are more of a PITA than other music files but not sure if that is what you mean.

It make no sense to me. If I have 10 classical albums worth of music files and 10 rock albums worth of music files, they are all as easily loadable into a media player (of your choice) as each other and you can get one file to play the same as any other file. How does the genre make any difference?

I am hoping you don't mean that if you are into classical music then that means you are computer illiterate. You are all using this website so if you can do that you can use music files.

Maybe by "managing music files" you guys mean something other than what I think that means. To me it means what you do with them after you have purchased them and have downloaded them to your computer, you need to put the files in you media player somehow, maybe make some playlists, maybe change the tags/metadata. That is some initial work (some of it optional) but fairly easy and once that it done you pretty much just have to turn things on and press play. What is there to manage?

If you have to extract the files from your CDs or record them from vinyl that would complicate things - but only the first time.

I'll put it another way, if you have 300 albums in vinyl, and 300 albums in the form of digital files, which is easier to manage?

The first option takes up heaps of room, it is probably difficult to find the exact record you are looking for, you have to get up all the time to change records, all that.

The second option, you press play. If you want a particular song you use the search feature of your media player. You can play music all day without leaving your chair.

Sorry for stealing this thread - at least the item is sold. I'll stop if you like.

@@aab sorting files. Naming each file that has no public DB. Just a pain when youre starting up. Each movement has a long title. You can have 30 different recordings of a Beethoven symphony. One conductor can have 3 different recordings of a particular Mahler symphony with 2 different orchestras. Etc etc.

Once youre on the track i guess its all good tho

Edited by davidro
  • Like 2

@@aab sorting files. Naming each file that has no public DB. Just a pain when youre starting up. Each movement has a long title. You can have 30 different recordings of a Beethoven symphony. One conductor can have 3 different recordings of a particular Mahler symphony with 2 different orchestras. Etc etc.

Yes - davidro has just summed it up nicely..

Interesting posts.

Vinyl, no meta data or playlists to maintain, no NAS, networking, awkward location of a laptop or pc, driver updates. Vinyl and cd albums contain the coverart and playlist,  put them on the shelf alphabetically by artist/composer and you are sorted.

If you handle your records by their edges you only need to give them a quick spin with a carbon brush. Done in less time than JRiver opens. I have never cleaned a cd, how do they get dirty?

Turntable set is a once off unless you change something.

That's my take.

• Like 4

'Molto Adagio – Andante – Heiliger Dankgesang eines Genesenen an die Gottheit, in der lydischen Tonart. Molto adagio – Neue Kraft fühlend. Andante – Molto adagio – Andante–Molto adagio. Mit innigster Empfindung'

The above is just the title of a movement from a Beethoven quartet, and we haven't even begun the name of the quartet...

Exactly.

I have over 20 different recordings of Bach's cello suites for example, and I have the same cellist recorded the same piece 3 times and with different period instrument...

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Congratulations on the sale of your item. If you feel you have benefited from using this system for the sale of an item through our classifieds system then please consider making a donation.<br /><br />Donation Payment Options<br /><br />You can make a donation via Paypal (using Credit Card or Paypal Balance), or Direct Deposit.<br /><br />Click below to make a donation:<br />donate-button.png<br /><br />Thank you, your support is appreciated and every dollar makes a difference.