Tannoy westminster se build

tvcollector

Great build! I've owned the SE Royals and they are a very musical speaker, you will be rewarded.

Just a note, while you still have the opportunity, there is a lot of energy that is present in the cabinet, especially at the lower frequencies, I would consider adding additional bracing between the parallel surfaces. They must not interfere with the horn, thus be small and rigid.

I ended up being shipped a second pair due to the first having an intrusive resonance in the cabinet. (Got to keep the second pair at 30% of the cost!!)

There is a great article by Dr Harvey Rosenburg (Gizmo) on his Royal adventure, which will be well worth a read. He eventually filled them with sand and put threaded rods through the sides...

http://www.meta-gizmo.org/Tri/potty/TANNOYMANIA.html

Enjoy! 

Wow great article, 

Cut and lined up the book ends and sheets for the front panels lot harder than i thought.

No room for error as i only have 8 sheets of this veneer and it needs 4 each side.

So far s o good turned out ok barley see the lines. Hopefully it looks good once cleared 

20170203_201622.jpg

20170203_214026.jpg

20170203_215054.jpg

• Like 1

On 03/02/2017 at 7:13 AM, ZOOTYtooty said:

Great build! I've owned the SE Royals and they are a very musical speaker, you will be rewarded.

Just a note, while you still have the opportunity, there is a lot of energy that is present in the cabinet, especially at the lower frequencies, I would consider adding additional bracing between the parallel surfaces. They must not interfere with the horn, thus be small and rigid.

I ended up being shipped a second pair due to the first having an intrusive resonance in the cabinet. (Got to keep the second pair at 30% of the cost!!)

There is a great article by Dr Harvey Rosenburg (Gizmo) on his Royal adventure, which will be well worth a read. He eventually filled them with sand and put threaded rods through the sides...

http://www.meta-gizmo.org/Tri/potty/TANNOYMANIA.html

Enjoy! 

Have been thinking about what you said and i am going to do som bracing im making up a few extra peices to support inner walls plus once finished im looking at clear coating all the inside timbe to seal and keep free of moisture is that a good idea or will it promote vibration? 

Clear coating will make no real difference either way. It's the flare of the horn that determines the bass. The bracing though will certainly not be wasted!

I know this is controversial, but I prefer the sound of the ferrite  magnet and found my westminster TW's far more neutral than the Royals. They have a shorter throat and don't require the drilled pepper pot instead using the tulip waveguide. If you can land your hands on a pair of pro 15" dual concentric's, grab them, as you will be one of the lucky few able to make the comparison side by side! They also use a far less complex x-over. I actually have a very nice letter from Tannoy which I'll try to find and scan which explains the differences.

• Like 1

Putting together the side panels and cleared starting to look like a speaker now and i went through and glued every joint again to make sure there all sealed and no leaks there is only one part im not happy with and that is the b panel that the angle wasnt 100% perfect but all 4 are exactly the same. It still is in the exact position but will have to be sealed once the back is on everything else in the build has gone like it should pretty happy. Just have to veneer the second front and then make the crossover mountings for the next step. 20170209_203406.thumb.jpg.91e456247d0aafe93ef12af51a58600d.jpg

20170209_171015.jpg

20170209_165659.jpg

20170209_174733.jpg

20170209_183121.jpg

20170209_184100.jpg

20170209_190057.jpg

20170209_191435.jpg

20170209_201848.jpg

20170209_202135.jpg

20170209_203143.jpg

20170209_203348.jpg

• Like 4

On 2/12/2017 at 10:52 AM, tvcollector said:

Contact adhesive same as you use in motor trimming very tough stuff 

Is this a spray on adhesive? If you could post a link that would be great. When I did my speaker cabinets I used the iron on veneer and it was shocking. In order to get enough heat to melt the glue sufficiently for the bond to be permanent you seem to end up applying too much heat to the veneer and causing it to start splitting and / or being raised with the changes in grain. I was more successful applying a thin layer of glue to the other side and waiting for that to dry before applying heat, but contact adhesive sounds like it could be a winner. 

I'm heading to South Africa (I'm from there) in April, and am considering bringing my Royals and Kingdoms back if I can still get them in, (as I've been living here for eight years). Would you be interested in them @ $15k? I'd probably sell the Kingdoms for the same, would like to keep either of them so whatever doesn't sell.. 

13 hours ago, ZOOTYtooty said:

I'm heading to South Africa (I'm from there) in April, and am considering bringing my Royals and Kingdoms back if I can still get them in, (as I've been living here for eight years). Would you be interested in them @ $15k? I'd probably sell the Kingdoms for the same, would like to keep either of them so whatever doesn't sell.. 

Wow unfortunately the reason im building these is because i could not afford the real ones 

And second my passion is building and challenging myself i really enjoy it. 

• Like 3

So the crossover rebuild begins !!  at least they will be better this time the first ones when i made them i thought of other things i could,change to make them better so will do that on these. Starting with the base of marine ply. They are very difficult to make with the pins that change the energy everything has to be lined up and insulated except the plate of alloy hard not having the original to go off.

20170215_195031.jpg

20170215_195112.jpg

20170215_203925.jpg

20170215_203931.jpg

• Like 1

Lowpass crossovers nearly done waiting for the big caps 2x 100uf in each instead of a single 200uf 

Then they are done havnt spent too much time perfecting them because i want to hear how they soound 

And if they need tweeking i can then once they are perfect ill glue all the components down and finish. 

20170216_204717.jpg

20170216_204722.jpg

Very tidy! I recall that my first Westminster from the '80's had a bank of smaller (still large) caps, sitting on the shelf above the drive unit, where the Royal HE's had a single Atlas insecticide can sized unit. So something in the middle of the two sounds just right! 

So had a crap night tonight working on the tannoys i got all the veneer lined up awsome and sprayed the glue and was lining up the Centre and it slipped and fell onto the glued panel too low nothing i could do,it was stuck and i dont have any spare veneer  but at least its centre left to right. Im hoping i can add a strip at the top or its going to look like crap sux. But i got the sides done ready for the curves so at least something went 
Right. So i thought id do a cleanup and go home early but halfway through got distracted lol i put the driver in to see how it lines up and looks

• Like 1

On 7 February 2017 at 7:04 AM, ZOOTYtooty said:

Clear coating will make no real difference either way. It's the flare of the horn that determines the bass. The bracing though will certainly not be wasted!

I know this is controversial, but I prefer the sound of the ferrite  magnet and found my westminster TW's far more neutral than the Royals. They have a shorter throat and don't require the drilled pepper pot instead using the tulip waveguide. If you can land your hands on a pair of pro 15" dual concentric's, grab them, as you will be one of the lucky few able to make the comparison side by side! They also use a far less complex x-over. I actually have a very nice letter from Tannoy which I'll try to find and scan which explains the differences.

I very much agree with ZOOTYtooty and got similar feedback from some engineers I spoke with at Tannoy.  They said the Alnico and Pepperpot units were what the market wanted but felt the TW units were far superior.  This has also been my experience.  I love my TW Tannoy drivers but didn't have complete satisfaction with the older Pepper Pot models (4 pairs of Golds, a pair of Super Reds and quite a few pairs of HPD's in a range of different boxes, some horn loaded).  

LPG