Berkeley Alpha Reference DAC

I know you said you wouldn't, but when you decide to upgrade, I'd like to be first in line. Just saying.

I'm quietly thinking that will be a cold day in Hell.. But a wise person once told me 'never say never'.. So I guess you're first in line then..

TBO what is the onboard volume control like, did you try bypassing the Binkmann preamp? What IC's are you using too...

Onboard volume control on the Berkeley is good.. 0-60 in one tenth steps.. They advise using 54 if running through a pre, which is the setting I've adopted.. I tried both with and without the Brinkmann.. My preference is to use the Brinkmann.. The ability of the Brinkmann to remove any noise from the system (processes signal in and out of phase and then removes everything that is the same from the signal path before passing to outputs) may be part of that.. The other is what I think is just a slight softening/rounding of the output due to the tubes in the Brinkmann..

I'm using AES from media server to Brinkmann and Balanced (using a custom Y adaptor of very similar cable to speaker cables) from Brinkmann to the monoblocs.

Hope that is of some use..

Very cool, you should get some matching Brinkmann monos to go with that pre...

I thought I knew all the australian speaker manufacturers, but Sophera is new to me. Very unique, kinds reminds me of the Norh speakers from way back, but much nicer.

• Like 1

Very cool, you should get some matching Brinkmann monos to go with that pre...

I thought I knew all the australian speaker manufacturers, but Sophera is new to me. Very unique, kinds reminds me of the Norh speakers from way back, but much nicer.

LOL.. I think I'd need to refinance the house, as I'd need four monoblocs to achieve the same horizontal bi-amp connection with balanced leads!

And indeed, having listened to many (most more expensive) monoblocs, the NewClear Audio stereo monoblocs (which are designed for balanced inputs) are producing the best sound I've heard. Of course, the Spheres do not require massive power to drive them - and the Subs are active, running a 1000W Sledge amp in each.

As for Michael's speakers, he's a musical genius rather than a marketer - and I've never heard anything to match the sound they produce - particularly his Isobarics. An audio engineer recently measured the non-iso speakers and was astounded by how much better they measure than speakers 10x plus more expensive..

Thanks for the feedback.. :)