Next Gen OLED TVs

the other day walking in JB I noticed they had the latest LG OLED's finally the latest gen and the flat ones both in 55" and 65".

1stly like dogs balls the curved screens next to the flat once looked very whacky. like satellite dishes and causing all sorts of funny reflections with the lights off the ceiling. the flat ones though looked pretty decent. I know probably cranked to the max in the store and they dont show any real material i.e. fta tv or anything or disc. but they did look good.

I hope to hell our plasma never dies but if did I dont think id be disappointed in one of these flat oleds. the 65" still quite pricey at nearly $8k but the 55" pretty reasonable at $4.5k am sure with time they will drop down too price wise to even more sane levels. I know some more concerns exists e.g. colour uniformity, dead pixels etc and hopefully thats something sorted in subsequent gen too.

but atlast it would appear there is a new pretender to the throne :)

What you saw was last year's flat screen models released this year. 

LG have not yet released the 2016 models yet in Australia. 

Edited by metal beat

The biggest problem with current OLED tv's is they come from LG, who has by far the worst image processing technology of the 4 major manufacturers.

So motion is terrible, and upscaling is terrible, and things like general image quality, sharpness e.t.c are lacking

These flaws are nothing to to do with OLED panels, but with LG's software processing, which has always been one of the worst.

I sure hope Sony get some OEM panels from LG, as they consistently do the best in this regard. Will have to wait for CES 2017 to see if they do...

Edited by agisthos

The biggest problem with current OLED tv's is they come from LG, who has by far the worst image processing technology of the 4 major manufacturers.

So motion is terrible, and upscaling is terrible, and things like general image quality, sharpness e.t.c are lacking

These flaws are nothing to to do with OLED panels, but with LG's software processing, which has always been one of the worst.

I sure hope Sony get some OEM panels from LG, as they consistently do the best in this regard. Will have to wait for CES 2017 to see if they do...

Panasonic are in the game using the LG panel though aren't they?

I really hope OLED tech comes along and other players get in the market in the next few years. 

I really hope OLED tech comes along and other players get in the market in the next few years. 

Yes the Pany panels are sourced from LG and use Pany processing BUT the suggested RRP of these beasts is likely to be in the five-figure territory (if and when) we get what was shown in the U.S. and UK earlier this year.

Bear is mind this was just a single 65 inch THX certified HDR premium capable set - no word on anything other than that flagship model from Pany using OLED at this point...

• Like 1

instore likes of jb will only use those loops optimised for tvs by the maker no doubt. still best pics in store on the day.

have no doubt better can be done though, as others have mentioned pana is using the same panel but outrageous in cost. philips is doing oled using the lg panel as well though no idea if / when coming here though.

Yes, and the Panasonic OLED's, despite being the same panel, actually have a proper near black to black seamless transition, unlike LG, which has artifacting at 1 grade above black.

Again, this is nothing to do with the panel, but is an example of LG's poor image processing software.

LG  was never in the high end segment of TV manufacturing, and thus are inexperienced and behind the 8 ball. They lucked into being market leaders when Samsung's RGB OLED manufacturing process ended up being a failure.

I don't expect LG to bother to catch up either on the software front. We will have to wait for Panasonic OLED's to come down in price.

Edited by agisthos

Can you elaborate on your claim of LG having worst image processing technology?

I have a 60" LED LG and am extremely happy with it and I compared it to Samsung, Sony, Panasonic side by side when I was buying it. It had the best picture in every aspect.

Note: I have no affiliation with LG, just a happy customer. Previously I had a Fujitsu 50" plasma which I paid $11,000 in 2005 (ouchhhhh) and thought nothing would better it in picture quality, boy was I wrong.

Can you elaborate on your claim of LG having worst image processing technology?

I have a 60" LED LG and am extremely happy with it and I compared it to Samsung, Sony, Panasonic side by side when I was buying it. It had the best picture in every aspect.

Note: I have no affiliation with LG, just a happy customer. Previously I had a Fujitsu 50" plasma which I paid $11,000 in 2005 (ouchhhhh) and thought nothing would better it in picture quality, boy was I wrong.

I think you really need to know what to look and a good video processor would produce a great clean image you can almost passe it off as near to HD level clarity.   I doubt in a shop you will get to see them putting on a SD type material to let you view the content and most of the show room material I have seen are play in dynamic mode, in bright colour.  In actual viewing I found bad upscaling and processing is often found around the edges of an image, look at a picture of a wall and edge of a human face you will most likely seeing a ghost line running alone,  bad video processing can also lead to loss of detail.   In my video chain I use  Lumagen Pro video processor this is about as good as you can get, with this set up my mid level Samsung plasma was able to get get close view of facial features of the person,  I could almost see each strand of person's hair, pore on her/his skin.   It is not unlike listen to a piece of music on a good system to realize the amount of detail you are missing out on with a budget system.    

the shops will only show you pristine 4k uhd demo material ...with very slow movements everything perfectly sharp .... no motion artefacts no upscaling artefacts nothing. the stuff looks so perfect I honestly feel in some cases its actually cgi. infact some of the city scape stuff has to be cgi or well the screens are making them look a bit fake :D 

of course in everyday watching you are not presented with anything remotely like that. for starters no one is watching 4k uhd native stuff day in day out...so everything literally everything has to be scaled by the display. and you cant avoid this the display scaler cant be bypassed. then theres motion interpolation schemes which are pretty much rubbish on anything. no matter the brand. some like it ...but I find them making action a bit cartoony. so yeah really with all their processing it really depends what you feed them and what is engaged :)

the shops will only show you pristine 4k uhd demo material ...with very slow movements everything perfectly sharp .... no motion artefacts no upscaling artefacts nothing. the stuff looks so perfect I honestly feel in some cases its actually cgi. infact some of the city scape stuff has to be cgi or well the screens are making them look a bit fake :D

of course in everyday watching you are not presented with anything remotely like that. for starters no one is watching 4k uhd native stuff day in day out...so everything literally everything has to be scaled by the display. and you cant avoid this the display scaler cant be bypassed. then theres motion interpolation schemes which are pretty much rubbish on anything. no matter the brand. some like it ...but I find them making action a bit cartoony. so yeah really with all their processing it really depends what you feed them and what is engaged :)

Bit like HiFi isn't it? The manufacturers will always strive to demonstrate their TV's/ HiFi using the best possible source material. I'd love to get my hands on a Oled for a week or so to take home so that I could properly evaluate it's performance in a real world environment. My cheap LG plasma is still such a lovely screen to watch. Still preferable to any LCD based tech I've seen...

M

• Like 1

Bit like HiFi isn't it? The manufacturers will always strive to demonstrate their TV's/ HiFi using the best possible source material. I'd love to get my hands on a Oled for a week or so to take home so that I could properly evaluate it's performance in a real world environment. My cheap LG plasma is still such a lovely screen to watch. Still preferable to any LCD based tech I've seen...

M

+1

M

yes um would love to see these how they go on real world everyday stuff :) if get the chance do be sure to let us know. yeah am not been satisfied with lcd to date ... not even in the shop in best of conditions :)

• Like 1

I was in Goodguys today in Moorabbin.... :D

Most of the sets were tuned to free to air SD. You can tell that they're all on dynamic setting; the skin tone looked like they just came out of the oven or been sun baking for 24hrs ...:D. And one look like it rose from six feet below. :D. The another was green a result due to a connection issue in the component R RCA lead or something was wrong with the set on the Red processing that's gone on the blink.

Even though free to air SD is going to be close to in field evaluation, it should not be the ultimate decision in purchasing a panel. Asked about the absence of Panasonic and the salesperson confirmed they were too expensive to bring in as LG were 50% cheaper. Have to admit the LG OLED was very impressive of the SD loop source and there's the Sony and Samsung that's equally impressive on there own SD loop. I guess there demo SD loop are designed to function within the out of box dynamic settings to compete with the panel on the shelf beside it, or it'll look bland if it was set up correctly, and all the other panels beside it was set to out of box dynamic.

There's a comment on this thread about LG digital processing. To be fair, every manufacturer has issues with processing, with Samsung, if you quick enough you will see the trailing pixelation of moving objects and also the mosquito effect infront of that object, some Samsung models are that detailed that you think it's miles detail compared to the opposition, however it's not detailed at all, it's digital noise pixelation... A good test on Samsung panels is watching the waves in water or the white waves of water crashing onto the beach, on Sony is trailing edge ghosting, if you're eyes and brain is quick enough you will see that the there is a comet trial ghosting that appears to trail behind objects. Hence ever notice that when you check out Sony's demo they always seem to have demo on Slow moving objects such as a snake checking out its environment...:D. Even though the technology is there to eliminate these issues, if you look hard enough and know what to look for its all there..... Unfortunately all due to the speed of LCD or the way it was shoot... :D

Edited by Addicted to music

Of course you can bypass the display scaler by outputting the native resolution of the display. 

• 1 month later...

Just a quick heads-up.  Myer has a 2 day 20% off sale ending today.

I just bit the bullet and bought one of the new Panasonic DX900's.  TH-65DX900u to be specific.  Myers had the RRP at $5999, but I've seen it higher, including on Panasonic Australia's website.  So, the price was $4799 and I get Myer one points.   Hardly Normal don't even have stocks in SA yet but I did see one in the flesh at JB.

If you look at the reviews and info on the net, this is a pretty good set, rivaling the OLEDs with its honeycomb backlighting and may even be better for the type of viewing we do, generally in a well-lit room.  It has decent sound so there maybe no need to turn on the stereo to watch things like the news and current affairs etc.

Downsides are that it's heavy and not as pretty as some of the snazzier offerings, but I think the conventional aesthetics will suit our place when it's wall mounted in an alcove.  Build quality appears to be high.

Just couldn't be bothered waiting for the LG E6 or G6 when the Panny might just be better for our purposes and is under half the price.

Used the same credit card I originally got when I bought the current 50" Pioneer plasma from Myer in 2005.  It's still going strong and I hope it will be happy in "the shed."

• Like 1

I wonder why only LG produce the OLED TVs.

At this rate it will take forever for them to reach $750 - $900 price point..!!

Sony was actually first but gave up when yields were poor and the GFC hit.  LG have poured the farm into OLED and since they've invested in the tech and the plant to build it, are now reaping the rewards.

Sammy, Panny and Sony are now all using an enchanced LED process involving a nano crystal layer on the glass substrate.  This gets the colours and blacks close to OLED. 

LED will remain brighter for the time being whilst OLED boasts true blacks.

Hourses for courses :P

I wonder why only LG produce the OLED TVs.

At this rate it will take forever for them to reach $750 - $900 price point..!!

sony made a little 20" ? one some years ago cost $8k ! others e.g. samsung I think it was made it and gave up, just issues and cost/scale reliability etc not worth it. only LG has persisted to be able to do cost effectively am not sure out of the woods with regards issues still keep reading rumblings of dead pixels, color uniformity etc. on the shop floor though without doubt for me they are the leaders of the pack. price too is now reasonable when consider what we have paid to date for top line panels :) as in best in class :)

the big thing with OLED is like plasma they can do true blacks and down to pixel level unlike LCDs even if LED lit and zoned its only down to zones or completely switching the whole thing off !  

~

LED will remain brighter for the time being whilst OLED boasts true blacks.

Hourses for courses :P

yep intersting isn't it in the two extremes e.g. with HDR  how both come at it from either angle. LED LCD will attain higher nits ...but wont get the blacks...whereas OLED will attain better blacks but wont again the heights of LCD when comes to nits and brightness .... both have the same dynamic range  ? dont know about that :)

• Like 1

Correct but for example my Galaxy nexus of 3-4 years ago was OLED and now my motoG is LED/IPS.

I was hoping that given the time there will be an 'OLED vs LED' war akin to the good old Plasma vs LED. At the moment there's simply LEDs everywhere!

I'm keeping my plasma I guess.

Just a quick heads-up.  Myer has a 2 day 20% off sale ending today.

I just bit the bullet and bought one of the new Panasonic DX900's.  TH-65DX900u to be specific.  Myers had the RRP at $5999, but I've seen it higher, including on Panasonic Australia's website.  So, the price was $4799 and I get Myer one points.   Hardly Normal don't even have stocks in SA yet but I did see one in the flesh at JB.

If you look at the reviews and info on the net, this is a pretty good set, rivaling the OLEDs with its honeycomb backlighting and may even be better for the type of viewing we do, generally in a well-lit room.  It has decent sound so there maybe no need to turn on the stereo to watch things like the news and current affairs etc.

Downsides are that it's heavy and not as pretty as some of the snazzier offerings, but I think the conventional aesthetics will suit our place when it's wall mounted in an alcove.  Build quality appears to be high.

Just couldn't be bothered waiting for the LG E6 or G6 when the Panny might just be better for our purposes and is under half the price.

Used the same credit card I originally got when I bought the current 50" Pioneer plasma from Myer in 2005.  It's still going strong and I hope it will be happy in "the shed."

sounds like a good deal, would have considered it if I was in the market for a TV, waiting for OLEDs to go down, could be a long wait though. :P

Guest Sime

I just recently saw some of my first OLED TVs at Harvey's, pretty impressive stuff, I'd love to get one home and calibrated if only they sold them in the size I need (40-48inch)

Just a quick heads-up. Myer has a 2 day 20% off sale ending today.

I just bit the bullet and bought one of the new Panasonic DX900's. TH-65DX900u to be specific. Myers had the RRP at $5999, but I've seen it higher, including on Panasonic Australia's website. So, the price was $4799 and I get Myer one points. Hardly Normal don't even have stocks in SA yet but I did see one in the flesh at JB.

If you look at the reviews and info on the net, this is a pretty good set, rivaling the OLEDs with its honeycomb backlighting and may even be better for the type of viewing we do, generally in a well-lit room. It has decent sound so there maybe no need to turn on the stereo to watch things like the news and current affairs etc.

Downsides are that it's heavy and not as pretty as some of the snazzier offerings, but I think the conventional aesthetics will suit our place when it's wall mounted in an alcove. Build quality appears to be high.

Used the same credit card I originally got when I bought the current 50" Pioneer plasma from Myer in 2005. It's still going strong and I hope it will be happy in "the shed."

I still have a Pioneer 507XDA and the picture quality is outstanding. On 1080i through Foxtel watching sport and National Geo channel really highlights just how good these panels are. Hope I can get another 9 years out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still have a Pioneer 507XDA and the picture quality is outstanding. On 1080i through Foxtel watching sport and National Geo channel really highlights just how good these panels are. Hope I can get another 9 years out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've always been very happy with this set, which hasn't missed a beat in 11 years and still looks great.  But I think the new Panny will offer some real advantages and we can really use the increased size in a fairly large room.