First turntable and concerns about vinyl

the idea of adding a good pre to dac already have is a good one..

here is another option...

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/87502-nad-c375-amp-with-mdc-dac-module-same-as-c375bee/

and then get the optional phono board for another ~$150  :)

http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi-mdc-modules/PP-375-Phono-Preamplifier-MDC-Module

should fit in nicely for amount planning on spending on the peachtree :)

• Like 2

The Peachtree 125e has a line level analogue input, but you will still need a phono preamp (to add gain/volume and RIAA equalisation) if you want to hook up a turntable. Alternatively you could keep your Emotiva DAC for your digital sources and look for a preamplifier with an inbuilt phono stage.

As others have said records are delicate but durable. You have to be careful with storage and handling, cartridge alignment and tracking force. But if you are they will play well as long and as often as you want to play them. That shouldn't be a concern.

Think twice about the cost though. It's increasingly hard to find decent cheap second hand records, whereas CDs are getting cheaper and cheaper and streaming options are increasing. And adding a turntable as source splits your hardware budget another way, funds you could otherwise put towards other upgrades, more music, a nice holiday, whatever. I'm not saying don't do it - I have - just think twice and proceed with your eyes open.

Thanks for the post, definitely something to think about for sure.

Do it Josh!

Once you sort out the technicalities, nothing beats vinyl.

I'm a fan of listening to a vintage medium on vintage equipment, so I cant help you integrate a phono stage to your digital stuff, but nothing beats the ritual of putting a record on.

There is a bit of cleaning and a bit of care required, but it makes for the experience. Amplification is the cheap part, a good cartridge and stylus will cost but its worth it.

A good cart can make a cheap record sound great, you dont always have to buy new vinyl.

• Like 1

I'm in the same league, my first starter TT will turn up "hopefully" this weekend.

Cheap and cheerful Dual 503, but a TT never the less,,,,,,,,,hope it travels Ok.

Now for a record or 2 and a pre amp.

Cheers

Do it Josh!

Once you sort out the technicalities, nothing beats vinyl.

I'm a fan of listening to a vintage medium on vintage equipment, so I cant help you integrate a phono stage to your digital stuff, but nothing beats the ritual of putting a record on.

There is a bit of cleaning and a bit of care required, but it makes for the experience. Amplification is the cheap part, a good cartridge and stylus will cost but its worth it.

A good cart can make a cheap record sound great, you dont always have to buy new vinyl.

Totally man. Playing music via streaming on Tidal is fun, convenient  and it's great quality, but it does leave you feeling a little cold and detached from the music. I'm thinking I will only buy vinyl to music that I really love and I feel lends itself to the medium more than other music I listen too and the rest will be CD/streaming.

• Like 1

These are a all in one DAC / Headphone and Phono Stage and pre amp ! very compact and great for desk top audio. Bit over budget but you could sell the Emotiva ?

http://www.krispyaudio.com.au/products/ADL-GT40-Alpha-Dac,-Headphone-Amplifier,-Phono-Stage-%26-Preamplifier.html

Only other thing I know that combines is the sprout which also has a amp 

http://www.turntablelab.com/products/ps-audio-sprout-integrated-amplifier-amp-phono-pre-amp-dac-bluetooth

Edited by Chill3
  • Like 1

These are a all in one DAC / Headphone and Phono Stage and pre amp ! very compact and great for desk top audio. Bit over budget but you could sell the Emotiva ?

http://www.krispyaudio.com.au/products/ADL-GT40-Alpha-Dac,-Headphone-Amplifier,-Phono-Stage-%26-Preamplifier.html

Only other thing I know that combines is the sprout which also has a amp 

http://www.turntablelab.com/products/ps-audio-sprout-integrated-amplifier-amp-phono-pre-amp-dac-bluetooth

Thanks man, that's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Would save me $1300 with the way I was thinking of going. Cheers

So I'm just about to finish paying off my KEF LS50's and then ill be in the market for a turntable. I've read good things about the Rega RP3 but thinking I might just go straight for the RP6. Would like to hear some suggestions from the more experienced guys out there. My second question is, I've wanted to get into vinyl for a few years now but haven't been able to for various reason, but one is the concern of vinyl durability. I don't want to invest sometimes into the $100's for a vinyl for it to only wear down and having to replace it. Is this just a myth or does it in fact happen and if so how long would a typical well looked after vinyl last?. Cheers guys.

I've just purchased an RP6 - unfortunately it showed up without the power transformer.  Once it has arrived, you're more than welcome to come around for a listen.

If it is worth anything, I still have and play, records that I bought 50 years ago, the oldest CDs that I own are around 25 years old, none of my digital files are older than 10 years.  Some of my LPs are even older and still play fine, with current gear they sound the best I have ever heard them.

• Like 2

Hey Josh,

I recently bought an RP3 with the Ortofon Blue 2M on advice from my old man. Subsequently, I scored a Tom Jones - Live in Las Vegas LP for $3 at a charity store. It's like the music leaps out of the speakers and engages you more than its digital equivalent (my experience anyway).

On the RP3 vs RP6, my old man owned the RP3, then traded up to an RP6, says he would wouldn't be sad if he had to go back to the RP3.

One thing I've found about LPs, obvious really, is that I don't purchase 'just average albums', I have to want to listen to 90% of the songs on an album because skipping songs isn't really an option in my opinion. So most of what I would listen to digitally doesn't make the cut because its on an album with half a dozen b-side filler tracks.

The RP3 is very good.

That's my 2¢

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Josh,

You won't go wrong with the vinyl, fella!

Please take heed of a warning before you go all bunta on a turntable.

Check out this little film for a look at the dangers of becoming an audio fanatic.....

Very sobering, eh? Now for my two cents worth......

A thousand bucks for a Rega!!! GET REAL. Do you own any vinyl? PUH-LEASE! You are just starting out.

I may be howled down by others here, but any of the "quality" name brand direct drive units of the '70's and '80's are to be found very easily for under $500.

I know I am in the wrong state, but I saw a lovely Technics unit at Mr. V. records on Semaphore Road for $400 today. A lovely, reliable, quality unit that was pretty good in it's day and will still do the job you want.

I certainly agree on the cartridge arguement.......and, when the time comes to get serious, definitely check out a Denon DL-103 cart. The best value for money mod you TT will get.

http://hometheaterreview.com/denon-dl-103-cartridge-reviewed/

Once you have savoured the joy of analoge sound, you will not be able to resist those liquorice pizzas. At the mo, I am ploughing my way through over 250 vintage classical albums found in a second hand shop recently. Sure.....I had to plough through about 50,000 records stacked poorly and randomly...... which included the entire discographies of Val Doonican, Perry Como, Harry Secombe and other geriatric crooners........over two entire consecutive Saturdays....but my ears and my wallet are still thanking me.

I have recovered the outlay of $250 (yes...$1.00 each) with a dozen sales on Ebay and I am sure glad I made the effort. I kid you not, these records are in MINT condition and include many Decca FFSS and Columbia labels. Unlike rock and roll stuff, these babys never got invited to a party or vomitted on in their life. All are easily over the 40yo mark and sound as good as anything made since. I am secretly in love with one bloke, surely now deceased (how else did his records end up here?), who lovingly wrote his name and date of purchase in fine print on the rear cover. Never have I seen such taste in classical and care of vinyl.

The point here is, once you have the equipment, you will be actively seeking out new sounds and sources for exploration. I love surfing Ebay for unusual slabs of wax. Just go to records, click on auction only (don't ya love those morons in Woy Woy or Wagga Wagga who think their "20 Country Hits" record is a collectors item at $49.99) and bid accordingly. You can always sell it again. The good bit is finding stuff you didn't know existed.

Take my word for it, mate, there's no need to spend huge amounts on over rated equipment. Let your ears do the work after you eyes have done the reading. Check out the vintage, just to get started, before you turn into one of those crazy Greeks featured in the film above.

Cheers, fella, and good luck.