The new "Listening Room"

I have been searching for a thread I saw recently, which showed various people's "listening room" renos ... but have failed to find it.

So I thought I would start a new thread - and "Room Acoustics & Tweaks" is the right place to do this. :)

Here's the current state of the listening room in our new house.  Further photographs will appear, as the benchtop and the LP storage units take shape:

post-104099-0-56436100-1439798650_thumb.

The room has:

• a 25mm compressed-cement sheet floor, and
  • double gyprock walls & ceiling.

The floor composition was decided after consultation with @@svenr, after we attended an Audio Engineering Society lecture, a couple of years ago (yes, the house has taken that long to build! :( ).

The sloping N wall was forced upon us by Victorian building regs - after a certain height in inner-city Melbourne, you need to implement a 17 deg slope to a wall.  So, while the dimensions of the room are as optimal as I can get them with the room-mode calculator I have (5.8m long x 3.6m wide x 2.8m high), this slope will obviously cause a different in-room behaviour to theory. :(  So the proof of the pudding will be in the eating!  :hiccup

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 12

I can guarantee 10000% improvement in SQ....: :P. Serious. :D

Over what, Peter?  Sure the listening room in this rented house but not compared to my 8 x 5.1m listening room in the last house! :(

20mm gyprock?

Yep, 2 sheets of 'plasterboard'.  It might even be special 'sound-rated' plasterboard at that (I forget).

Andy

Andy,

you must be looking forward to getting into your own room. It look like it will be great.

Thanks, Craig.  But it's not a dedicated man-cave ... just a family lounge that will be used by me - for listening - 90% of the time it gets used. :)  As much 'design' as possible has been put into it ... it remains to be seen how the real-world performance will be. ;)

Andy

Guest Peter the Greek

It'll be interesting to see how that wall turns out (sound wise).

Are the windows double glazed?

Whats the plan for all the holes for the lights etc? do they have backing boxes on them?

It'll be interesting to see how that wall turns out (sound wise).

Are the windows double glazed?

Whats the plan for all the holes for the lights etc? do they have backing boxes on them?

Yes, Peter, windows & doors are double glazed .. but no, light holes are just holes - no backing boxes.  It's the top floor, though (so no-one above).

Andy

Edited by andyr

Here's the pic taken at today's site meeting:

post-104099-0-03150000-1440401270_thumb.

The benchtop is supported by the steel triangular supports (plus end supports) and the spaces at each end of the LP storage bins are for subs.

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

any more pics

Unfortunately, not yet.  I was at the site for a mtg, yesterday and hoped that something more had been done to the room ... but, basically, it hadn't. :(

The next pic will be taken after the birch-ply benchtop has been installed on top of those supports.  (Hopefully this will be next Monday.)

Regards,

Andy

Andy, any reason you chose compressed concrete sheet flooring over a concrete slab? Having these considerations currently myself....

Haha - what you should've asked, MM, was "any reason you chose compressed concrete sheet flooring instead of standard sheet flooring"! ;)  The 'music room' is on the 2nd floor of the house and I couldn't have a slab there - although I would very much have liked to.

But I chose compressed concrete sheet instead of normal chipboard sheet flooring as, in theory, its higher mass results in less transmission of bass out of the room.

If you have a concrete slab (which I had in my last house) you don't need anything on top ... apart from carpet, IMO.

Andy

Edited by andyr

• 2 weeks later...

Not part of the build - but part of the process of getting into the room! :lol:

22 boxes worth of LPs, ready for the movers.

post-104099-0-80890100-1444468401_thumb.

5 of the 22 boxes contain records which I haven't cleaned since buying them (some going back over 8 years! :( ) ... so I haven't listened to them yet! :lol:  And, unfortunately, storing them away like that means I've bought multiple copies of some albums.   :(  That top LP of the few, sitting on the front boxes, that wouldn't fit in the boxes, is a sealed (superfluous) copy of 'Blade Runner' if any one is interested.

EDIT:  BTW, the wood either side of the doorway are the frames for my Maggie bass panels (in their braced frames).

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 9