Sign in to follow this  
TomW

Sydney Audio Club - Sunday 16-Aug-2015 - Music Server comparison

The August 2015 meeting of the Sydney Audio Club sees us once again gather for an afternoon of fine music, great sound and amicable company.

Each month, the Sydney Audio Club presents the finest in high end audio systems for our members and guests.  It's a bit like a private audio show once a month where you can hear and discuss equipment that you might not otherwise have the chance to audition.  And you can bring along your own music to test the capabilities of the system or to just share with like-minded music lovers in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere.

This month we will be focussed on computer audio and music server products.   We’ll compare Audirvana V2, Pure Music V2 and JRiver V20.  Pure Music and Audirvana are available only for the Mac platform, so to ensure a level playing field we’ll compare them to the Mac version of JRiver.  (Sorry, no Amarra comparisons.)  We’ll also compare the FLAC and WAV version of the same recording.  We’ll compare high-res PCM to DSD.  Lastly, we’ll also compare a CD disc, the same CD ripped to disc and a high-res version.  Time permitting, we’ll also compare a CD ripped with XLD (on Mac) and to the same CD ripped with dbPoweramp (Mac version).  

Everything will be presented “blind†so you can determine what sounds best to you without preconceived ideas getting in the way.  Admittedly, hearing a disc player whirling away or me fumbling with the disc player controls might give the game away!  But most things can be hidden from you.   And although the emphasis will be on Mac based products, that won’t invalidate what you can expect to do and hear with a Windows platform.

Details of the system….

Kudos Audio C20 speakers – Refer to http://www.kudosaudio.com/loudspeakers/c20/ and http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/kudos-audio-cardea-anniversary-super-20-loudspeakers/

Audible Illusions L3A preamp – Refer to http://www.audibleillusions.com/products/l3-line-stage-preamplifier/

Plinius SA100 Power amp – Refer to http://www.stereophile.com/solidpoweramps/497plinius/ and http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/amplifiers/plinius/sa-100-mk-iii/prd_116087_1583crx.aspx

Mac Mini (late 2012 version) – with i7 processors, 16GB memory, SSD system disc.  Music on SSD with Thunderbolt connectivity.  Connected to DAC via Vertere Pulse HB USB cable.

Bricasti Design M1 DAC – Refer to http://i.nextmedia.com.au/avhub/australian-hifi_reviews_2014_2014-07_bricasti_design_m1_dac_review_test_lores.pdf and http://www.audiostream.com/content/bricasti-design-m1-dac 

Oppo BDP-105 Universal player – Refer to https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-105/ and http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/oppo-bdp-105-universal-blu-ray-player-and-dac/

Nordost Red Dawn speaker cables and interconnects and WireWorld interconnects.

The second half of the music sessions will be our popular BYO.   Members and guests are welcome to offer music to share with us all.  So bring along your favourite music on CD/SACD or flash drive.  (Sorry, no provision for vinyl this month.)  All we ask is that the music and recordings be interesting.  We'll ask you to tell us a little about the artist/recording before it is played.  Tracks over 6 minutes will be faded out, to give everyone a fair go.

Whether you are a novice or a seasoned veteran, you will have the opportunity to listen, learn and share your experiences with others of a similar mind.

Guests are always welcome – we are a very friendly club so you don't need to know anyone to join us for an afternoon of fine music and sound.  We will welcome you at the door.

Venue:  Epping Creative Centre, Dence Park
Address:  26 Stanley St, Epping

When:  Sunday 16th August 2015

Doors open 1pm
Meeting starts at 2pm

Best regards,

Tom Waters

President

Sydney Audio Club

www.sydneyaudioclub.org.au

tomwaters@sydneyaudioclub.org.au

Edited by TomW

@@TomW @@chefscuba70

Is it possible to have the firmware on the 105 updated to accomodate TIDAL playback too?

Cheers,

Leigh

Edited by ferchersan

Hi Leigh,

I'll have to check whether there is a firmware update available but besides that, there is no internet connection at the centre to stream Tidal from, unless you have a mobile device and connect it to the Oppo.

Hi Leigh,

I'll have to check whether there is a firmware update available but besides that, there is no internet connection at the centre to stream Tidal from, unless you have a mobile device and connect it to the Oppo.

I couldn't recall if there was an interenet connection available or not...

and I have just discovered the Oppo Media Control App won't work on a 4G connection alone.

Not to worry. 

See you this arvo :)

Cheers,

Leigh

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Jovan.s1987
      Current Setup is an LG smart TV, HDMI out into my Yamaha AV receiver. I watch & listen to my content through the apple tv or chromecast, both of which are hooked into the receiver.

If I want to access apps through the TV, so the native Netflix app on the TV for instance, I get no sound - what's the easiest solution?

Should add, the toslink optical input is being used on the receiver from my Google Audio Chromecast. 
    • By D’accordo
      Item: Aurender N10 Music server 8TB in Black colour 
      Price: 9450 AUD( RRP12,999 for 8TB) including shipping to any stages in Australia  
      Item Condition: 99% as new, opened box for photos taking and testing, less than 20 hours running  
      Reason for selling: Funding for house Renovation 
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: Regretful sale due to some urgent issues. I had purchased from Addited to audio in Kew, Melbourne 3 weeks ago as per reciept photo. I haven't have time to tried it out much. This is one of the best Music server in the market I would said. As you can see, Aurender has been used to play with millions dolars systems in almost every hifi shows in the word. the unit solid and sleek looking. It can streaming Tidal, roon via Airplay using the aurender Conductor app.

Feature and Specifications: 
      Ultra High-Quality SPDIF and AES/EBU Digital Audio Outputs
      N10’s AES/EBU, BNC, Coaxial, and Optical outputs provide a superior musical presentation. As opposed to an asynchonous USB connection, where the DAC pulls packets of information from the player, N10’s SPDIF and AES/EBU audio outputs push signal out to the DAC at intervals defined by the on-board OCXO clock. With a clock this precise, trust us, you want to use it!.

Oven-Controlled Crystal Oscillator (OCXO) for Long-Term Jitter Reduction: OCXOs are among the most accurate and stable clocks in use today, and are orders of magnitude more accurate and stable than commonly used ordinary crystal oscillators usually found in computers. Temperature changes cause crystal oscillations to fluctuate, which can lead to jitter in the digital audio signal. Moreover, ordinary crystals are much less stable and lose accuracy over time. In OCXO clocks, a very stable, high-grade crystal oscillator is enclosed in a compartment and kept at a constant temperature to prevent jitter from temperature fluctuations.
      Precision DSD-to-PCM Conversion by FPGA
      Many DACs support DSD decoding only on their USB inputs and not on SPDIF or AES/EBU. That’s why the Aurender N10 (and W20) feature an extremely high-quality DSD-to-PCM conversion by FPGA.
      FPGA-Based All Digital Phase-Locked Loop System
      An All Digital Phase-Locked Loop system (ADPLL) incorporating Field-Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGA) with OCXO clocks precisely times digital audio data transmissions and minimizes jitter to below negligible levels.

8TB Hard Disk Drive Storage with Solid-State Drive Cache for Playback
      Internal hard drives provide either 4TB or 8TB of storage and a 240G solid-state drive is used to cache music for playback. If a selected song or album is already cached to the solid-state drive, the hard drive will remain asleep. This minimizes wear and tear on the hard drive. By caching songs to the solid-state drive for playback, electrical and acoustic noise resulting from spinning disks, moving heads and motors are completely eliminated.

Dedicated USB Audio Class 2.0 Output with Ultra Low Noise Power Circuitry
      The dedicated USB Audio Class 2.0 output is designed to deliver an exceptionally transparent audio signal free of noise, and is shielded from outside electronic interference.

USB HDD and NAS (Network-Attached Storage) Support
      Best performance occurs when music is stored on the Aurender’s internal storage. However, the Aurender platform is also capable of seamlessly integrating content stored on a NAS or external USB hard drive.

Aurender Conductor App Packed with Convenient Features for Full-Function Control
      The Aurender Conductor App turns the iPad into a versatile user interface for Aurender music servers. All settings and functions of the Aurender server can be easily accessed through the Settings menu, and the app comes with extensive features to make browsing and playing high resolution music collections a breeze.

MQA Core Decoder (optional in-app purchase)
      Aurender’s optional MQA Core Decoder upgrade enables “first-level” MQA unfolding to play MQA files at up to 48 or 96 kHz.

N10 SPECIFICATIONS
      Compatible Formats DSD(DSF, DFF), WAV, FLAC, AIFF, ALAC, M4A, APE and others Bit and Sample Rates SPDIF: Up to 24-bit, 192kHz (PCM); 1-bit, 2.8MHz (DSD64)
      USB: 32bit / 384kHz, 1-bit, 2.8MHz (DSD64); 1-bit, 5.6MHz (DSD128)
      User Software Aurender Conductor iPad App, Android App (Lite Version) Solid-State Drive 1 x 240 GB Hard Disk Drives 4TB / 8TB SPDIF Clocking FPGA-based All Digital Phase Locked Loop Audio Clock OCXO Digital Audio Outputs 1 coaxial, 1 optical, 1 AES/EBU, 1 BNC (Impedance 75Ω), 1 USB Audio Class 2.0 Digital I/O 1 Gigabit LAN, 2 x USB 2.0 CPU Board Proprietary Aurender Board Main Memory 4GB Finish Silver or Black Dimensions 430mm x 83mm x 353mm
      16.93in x 3.27in x 13.9in Weight 12.26kg
      27.03 lb Power Consumption Play (27W), Peak (37W), Standby (3.1W) further reviews:  Aurender N10 Music Server Review | AudioStream
      WWW.AUDIOSTREAM.COM Noise. Sometimes it’s hard to hear what’s really going on because there’s so much of it in our lives these days obscuring what we’re really trying to listen to. I mean, do you have any idea how much...  

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By Swart042
      🎄It's Christmas, I would  consider any reasonable offers!🎄

you can pick it up today and listen to great music toning!  Also including cables as per picture.

Item: Kef and Marantz surround sound system
      Price: Originally advertised for $6900 retail $9200 25% off
      Item Condition: Brand new, never been opened, have the original receipts
      Reason for selling: Financial fundrasing
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD and buyer pays for shipment if not picked up
      Extra Info:
      KEF Q400B centre speaker retail $800
      KEF Q 200C bookshelf speakers  retail $800
      KEF Q 300 subwoofer retail $1000 
      KEF Q 700 floor speakers (black oak) retail $2300
      MARANTZ UD7007 AMPLIFIER retail $1100
      MARANTZ 7009 MEDIA PLAYER retail $3200

This system is new we have never opened the boxes never used any of the items.  It would suite a music lover that loves good quality sound.  We are selling as we need to raise money to repatriate a dog stuck in transit overseas.  Please don't make an offer if you are not serious and please be reasonable.  This is NEW, it's just not in the shop anymore, the packaging has never been cut open. If you would like to buy seperate items please message me.

• By Mikety
      Item: DENON DNP-730AE
      Price: 380 + postage (retail price $849)
      Item Condition: New never used 
      Reason for selling: No wifi at home
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal (3%), Bank deposit 
      Extra Info:
      Bought few months ago but don't want to pay for the internet to use with it. Come with box and accessories. 

Network Music Player of the year 

Review:
      https://www.avhub.com.au/product-reviews/sound-image/denon-dnp-730ae-network-audio-player-review-415212

Photos: 

• By Josh Ballard
      Item: marantz pm8000 Black
      Price: 750
      Item Condition: Good. No marks
      Reason for selling: Upgrading
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

Great amp, used it to power some B&W 603 S3s and was very pleased with the warm midrange and delicate highs. 

specs:
      Power output: 95 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)
      Frequency response: 10Hz to 50kHz
      Total harmonic distortion: 0.03%
      Damping factor: 150
      Input sensitivity: 2.5mV (MM), 150mV (line)
      Signal to noise ratio: 85dB (MM), 109dB (line)
      Channel separation: 70dB (line) 
      Switchable class A switch