"Easy" tonearm solution - get a Thales

• 4 months later...

Hi Wilco,

Have you owned any parallel tracking arms and how does the Thales compare?

I had a similar epiphany when I made my glass tube/ball bearing arm which has a few faults but still managed to blow me away with the "just right " sound.

I'm comparing against a Michell and a MicroSeiki MA-505 though :) .

Regards,

kffern

installing a cartridge on the Simplicity looks simple (although mine came already mounted on the turntable by Warwick before delivery). The cartridge mounts into a small bar shaped headshell and is aligned visually in an alignment jig and then mounted on the tonearm

Cartridge Installation on Thales Easy and Simplicity

The Easy and Simplicity have different cartridge mounting systems. The Easy is a fixed headshell and you align the cartridge with the supplied protractor on the turntable. The Simplicity has a removable headshell and the cartridge is aligned using a separate alignment jig with sighting crosshairs. You can purchase spare headshells to swap cartridges quickly.

Thales vs Parallel Tracking Tonearms

Thales tonearms are not strictly speaking parallel tracking tonearms. A parallel tracker maintains perfect tangency to the groove by travelling in a straight line across the record. Therefore there is no tracking error at all. The Thales is a pivoted tonearm that still prescribes an arc across the record. However a secondary rod corrects the angle of the headshell as it traverses the record to maintain tangency at less than 0.006 degrees in the case of the Simplicity and 0.4 degrees in the case of the Easy. Thales avoids the complexity and moving mass of a genuine parallel tracker. However it achieves very low distortion due to the low tracking error, far better than conventional pivoted tonearms.

• Like 1