Confirming AVR and speaker choice and value before purchase

Hi guys

First post, after lurking here and a few hifi forums the past few weeks getting reviews and reading all the good advice on decent gear to buy... and then going around and listening to make sure I like the sound. Now that the tax return is in, I'll be heading in soon to pick something up.

Haven't got ridiculous dollars to spend, and the priority is on surround sound for movies and the occasional house party with a good mix of music on a playlist. It will be playing a very large open living space, with the sitting position about 4.5m from the front speakers. One of the other main limiting factors is that the missus doesnt want anymore floorstanders or even speakers on stands etc at the fronts - so have to be satellites or small bookshelf size so she can hide them amongst vases and crap lol.

So unless someone thinks there is better value out there for $1500 mark, I think my choice is going to be an Onkyo 605 matched to a Klipsch Quintet III pack with the matching 10 inch sub from Klipsch (heard them and like them). Lowest prices I've been able to get are $650 for the Onkyo and $900 for the Klipsch pack including the sub.

Can anyone advise on any better setup to be had for that total of $1550 or will I be happy as a pig in mud with that choice and price point?

Cheers for any comments!! :o

here's a Klipsch Synergy Quintet III system for $600 (New, including 3 years manufacturers warranty)

http://www.graysonline.com.au/lot.asp?LOT_ID=2936544

and they have 7 lots to clear so should not go for much more

If you can pick one of these up for $600 (or close enough) you have a bit more to spend on your AVR.

Cheers

here's a Klipsch Synergy Quintet III system for $600 (New, including 3 years manufacturers warranty)

http://www.graysonline.com.au/lot.asp?LOT_ID=2936544

and they have 7 lots to clear so should not go for much more

If you can pick one of these up for $600 (or close enough) you have a bit more to spend on your AVR.

Cheers

don't forget to add grays percentage and delivery in that, from memory its about 12.5%

Cheers GG

Nah not having floorstanders the only reason I'm allowed to spend money on speakers at all!

Being in Perth the delivery on that Grays stuff is a killer... with the buyers premium and $100 delivery its only just short of the retailer quote where I can just take it straight back if any problems - but cheers for the link. What did tempt me is the auctions for the larger Quintet SL package - same freight price so can get those slightly larger fronts and centre for only a smidge more than the Quintet III store price... hmmm

I think the Onkyo 605 will do everything I need though - I will never be powering a set of pure floorstanders or anything out of this world.... might do a bit more thinking on speaker choice - and check out where I would have to return a Grays speaker to for warranty issues if something went wrong - if its to be posted back to Eastern States then a Perth retail return point would be an advantage.

Small bookshelves with WAF you say?

Allow me to suggest Krix Brix all round, Microcentrix centre & Seismix 3 sub!

In one of the real wood veneer finishes they almost look like a piece of furniture, & being only around the size of a hardcover book (23x15cm HxW), they'd sit perfectly amongst 'vases and crap' as required.

These little speakers create sound that defies their stature, and partnered with a good sub like the S3 would be a whole, whole lot nicer both audibly & aesthetically than a sattelite system.

There is one problem... the speaker setup itself will set you back more than $1600 - though, as the old saying goes, 'you get what you pay for'. Krix are fantastic quality, both in build & sound - not to mention they're Australian owned & manufactured. If budget can be adjusted, id even consider looking at Krix Equinox as fronts - a little bigger than Brix but an even better speaker again! These would all go nicely with the Onkyo AVR you're looking at also.

If you're keen on checking them out - in Perth, go and see the guys at Sound Advice on Murray Street, they're always more than helpful. I know they've done a 'Brix Pack' before consisting of what has been suggested for around the $1700 mark in the black vinyl finish (jarrah vinyl also looks good, though veneer is the nicest - but costs more); thats a bargain considering individual prices.

http://www.soundadvice.net.au/Krix_Bookshelf_Speakers.htm

http://www.krix.com.au/Product/Detail.aspx?p=44&id=5

Edited by FAPOS

Ok if it's bookshelfs and your after quality but limiting budget to roughly $1500 I'd suggest to have a look and talk to Adelaide Speakers also. Aussie made quality and meant to be excelent value. They make speakers of all sizes and can/will even custom their speakers to suit your needs. I think I have read here or on other forums about a few folks in WA having bought these speakers and loving them.

Another good Aussie made option.

Thanks for the replies guys... I showed the 'aesthetics police' (the missus) the Krix etc but anything square and wood vaneer was a no go unfortunately :(

I took the plunge today and ended up getting the Klipsch Qunitet SL - bigger brother of the Quintet III with larger fronts and centre, in order to fill out the big living area a bit better. Got HN down to $1100 for them.... and ended up going with a Yamaha 663 as the AVR... throw in a Wii and a new DVD player and all the cabling and today made anice, but fruitful dent in the wallet :)

All hooked up and sounding superb!

Cheers again for the comments - especially suggesting the Quintet III might be too small for a large open space. I realise the SLs are still not floorstanders - but they are the best I could hope for given the specs laid out by the purse string holder :)

Thanks for the replies guys... I showed the 'aesthetics police' (the missus) the Krix etc but anything square and wood vaneer was a no go unfortunately :(

I took the plunge today and ended up getting the Klipsch Qunitet SL - bigger brother of the Quintet III with larger fronts and centre, in order to fill out the big living area a bit better. Got HN down to $1100 for them.... and ended up going with a Yamaha 663 as the AVR... throw in a Wii and a new DVD player and all the cabling and today made anice, but fruitful dent in the wallet :)

All hooked up and sounding superb!

Cheers again for the comments - especially suggesting the Quintet III might be too small for a large open space. I realise the SLs are still not floorstanders - but they are the best I could hope for given the specs laid out by the purse string holder :)

Good one Brazen- for pushing it and for finding something you're happy with. Is the boss happy too?:(

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Great thread, as someone who's in a similar position (read: aesthetically biased purse string holder & limited budget) I took alot away from it. Thankyou.

I managed to stumble across a set of 'carton damaged' Quintet III's for $770 including extending warrantly through HN. $1100 for Quintet SL's sounds a great price in light of this.