Help setting up a Jenson QX-80 sub

I've just picked up a Jenson Qx-80 sub. It's the first sub I've owned so I need some advice on setting it up. The system is very basic and cobbled together. a Denon micro stereo receiver (UDM31; 2x22w into 6Ω) and a pair of Kenwood LS-9070 floor standing fronts.

The Denon has an unattenuatted full range subwoofer out via a single RCA jack.

The Sub has L/R (paralleled) "low level" RCA ins and outs, plus double speaker wire terminals in and out.

The floor speakers are 3-way, 6 driver; 48Hz to 30kHz 8Ω, 130w max

I don't think the Denon has any settings to designate speakers as small.

So, the first question is whether to just go the simple route and connect the sub to Denon sub out via a single RCA cable. Or, wire the sub to the Denon, then wire the fronts to the sub?

The plate amplifier fitted to the Jensen sums the  L and R signals and the Denon offers a summed signal,so you will receive a sub-bass signal in its entirety with a single RCA  to RCA cable.

The plate amplifier fitted to the Jensen sums the  L and R signals and the Denon offers a summed signal,so you will receive a sub-bass signal in its entirety with a single RCA  to RCA cable.

But is it okay that there'll be no filtering of the bass going to the front speakers? Or does the Denon handle that automatically if a sub is plugged in?

try it both ways and see which sounds better.

sometimes it's good to have overlapping bass sources in the room (ie simply using the RCA out for the sub), but it's difficult to know until you've tried (and better still measured).

More bass sources can assist in smoothing bass response in the room.

Note that when you say "unattenuated" above, it's a pre-out, so it will be after volume control (which is what you want)

cheers

Mike

Edited by almikel

Yes,a little experimentation to achieve the best blend with your Denon receiver is in order.The phase and high pass  frequency adjustment controls on the  QX 80 will help with this and you can use the bass tone control on the amplifier to reduce the amount of bass being fed to the Kenwood speakers,if you feel it gives better result.

Yes,a little experimentation to achieve the best blend with your Denon receiver is in order.The phase and high pass  frequency adjustment controls on the  QX 80 will help with this and you can use the bass tone control on the amplifier to reduce the amount of bass being fed to the Kenwood speakers,if you feel it gives better result.

Ah yes, pre out will mean before any of those adjustments won't it, so I can adjust there.

Thanks everyone.

• Like 1

Sub is now hooked up and thumping.

I don't think the auto-off feature is working though, is this a common fault or is it possible I've done something wrong?

Another question... what do you guys think about the 2x22w receiver powering the Kenwood speakers. I'm wondering whether I'd get get better quality out of them with a bit more juice. I have very limited space so can't really upgrade to anything bigger. But I could stick a still amp in the chain? 

• Like 1

Have you tried the original speakers that came with the Denon now that you have a sub or did you just get the receiver without the speakers?

Also...I wouldn't worry too much about small/large and bass to the Kenwoods. They're a full range speaker and designed to handle an amount and level of bass below which they will roll off courtesy of their crossover and driver characteristics. If you do want to have low pass filtering then the only way to do that is to use the high level inputs on the sub - i.e. Denon - Speaker cable --> Sub and then Sub (speaker cable) --> Kenwoods. In that way the Kenwoods would only be getting frequencies above what you set on the sub.

Oh and...don't forget to turn off that bass boost thing that the Denon has when you connect the sub.

• 2 years later...

Just reviving this thread... I have just picked up a used Cambridge Topaz SR10. I realised after I got it there was a revision that added a sub out to this. I got the V1 without. So now wiring the sub, what's best amp>speakers&sub (the amp has two sets of speaker outs) or amp>sub>speakers?

I don't know much about the speakers. They are think Kenwood fronts, 3-way, 6 drivers, each with 5 x 7cm cones and a tweeter. Rated 48Hz to 30KHz.

The sub has a frequency control knob that goes from 40 to 180Hz.

• Like 1