So today I started to delve into computer audio streaming on a tiny budget

I wanted to utilise my iPad 3 and the Apple TV with my DAC

But how can it be done to access files stored on another storage devise

Let's face it - Audiophiles have more music and in different formats that an iPad can handle

So the questions were asked and as the information was absorbed the answer was simple

If one has a more modern style of router -- That has at least one USB input --

Download an app ( free lite versions are available ) like 1) Remote File Manager or (2) File Explorer

Have your router setup info ready - as in -- admin name & password

Plug in either a USB stick or External Drive into the router USB input and your away

You then have access to the entire information on that storage media - Audio, Text, PDF ect

Choose the file to open contents

You open an audio file and its list will be displayed

Click track and it will play on the iPad via its own audio player ( see photo )

If you want to play its contents on your Hi Fi system you need to activate " Air Play"

The Apple TV that is connected to a DAC will then take over and play the audio files

So far I have had fantastic results

But will test it further tomorrow

Here is a screen shot of the onboard app audio player of Remote File

post-112724-0-26750500-1437910628_thumb.

• Like 3

Testing quality of playback - It's very good and very close to CD quality

I have come across an Aplication issue - it reads the content of FLAC, WMA files but won't play them

This could be because it's the Lite versions of the Aplications I downloaded but I will search for an app that supports FLAC and other audio formats

Has no issues with WAV, MP3 and Apple Lossless

So far very happy with excellent speed and play back quality on this setup

But need to find another App that supports all Audio formats

Stay tuned and I will update later

However don't be shy to post any suitable apps for me to try

Also I would like to compare thoughts and opinions of others that have tried this setup

• Like 1

Well that did not take long

I started searching for a Remote Media server instead of a Remote File Server

I am sure with a bit more research I will find an app that has cover art - but in this early testing phase I'm just looking for free applications until I find the right one

Came across this app that works well

post-112724-0-99123800-1437971775_thumb.

Some screen shots

post-112724-0-69681700-1437972133_thumb.post-112724-0-96176600-1437972148_thumb.

• Like 1

A quick update is in order for this thread

I have been enjoying the set up

Sound quality - if CD is 10 then this setup would be 9

Remote Media Manager Pro app - has worked flawlessly, it's very easy to set up and use, has volume control on the full expanded player but could use a volume slider on the mini player as well

Observations

Solid State media works a little better at wifi transfer than a spinning hard drive but only by a very tiny amount

So far very impressed with this implementation and the Remote Media Manager Pro app

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

What I do is to play my Samsung Audio Note 2014 10.1 through an OTG cable into my DAC, using Audio Player USB Pro (and thereafter to headphones or it could be amps/speaker). So the bit I am missing is that I am playing files off the Android itself and not from my PC which is my media server.

So I should then either plug in a hard drive into the router as you say or else find a way through into the network and find them on the PC.

So long as I am plugged into the DAC, I should be ok, or otherwise, as you suggest, something wi-fi into the stereo that is the equivalent of the Apple TV.

It will all be easier when I am back in my normal house (camping out due to a reno) and I can just access the PC directly!

Also - Audio Player Pro kills the battery on the Samsung in just over 1 hour - but I have a Lavalink cable on the way from the US which is supposed to allow both OTG and charging functionality at the same time (but not guaranteed to work, apparently...we'll see)

Thanks for the thread though...it does get one thinking...

Edited by tfj100

I have contacted the Remote Media Pro Application Developers to recommend some improvements

These are as per my email below -

Congratulations on having the only app that can read and play multiple audio files such as FLAC and others that audiophiles favour

A thread on stereonet.com.au has been recently created on wifi audio

Firstly let me say your app has worked flawlessly so far on my testing

My setup is USB directly connected media on a modern router

RManager reads contents on IPad and transfers via Apple TV to DAC to HiFi system

Your app is being tested on my system

( Note - Reproductions and listening impressions will differ when using other equipment )

A couple of recommendations

In settings -

1) An audio quality setting - or state that it's always on 100% at all times

Reason - Trying to get computer audio to equal or better CD is difficult - so by giving your app the ability to source and send the media / audio file in the highest quality and at the fastest transfer speed would be a fantastic step forward

To my ears it's almost to CD quality

2) A Volulme slider on the small / mini player would also be fantastic

Reason - Currently one needs to use the expanded player to adjust volume

3) Adding a player background image would be a nice feature

Reason - I haven't been able to add an image - so it may be me ?

4) In the future ( But only if the replay quality is not affected )

Add - Artist and Track information ( Cover art )

Paul, back to your original post.

See if someone near you can lend you a Squeezebox, Touch or Classic.

Try before you buy :thumb:

I can't speak more highly of mine.Bang for your $$ it's unbeatable.

If you haven't tried one I would suggest doing so .It seems that you already have everything else that is needed.

But if you are really happy with what you have already, no probs :)

Paul, back to your original post.

See if someone near you can lend you a Squeezebox, Touch or Classic.

Try before you buy :thumb:

I can't speak more highly of mine.Bang for your $$ it's unbeatable.

If you haven't tried one I would suggest doing so .It seems that you already have everything else that is needed.

But if you are really happy with what you have already, no probs :)

Daphile also comes highly recommended, however I cannot get it working on my spare laptop

I already have the controller Apps for Squeezbox & iPeng installed, and was to be used with Daphile. so your suggestion may be a good one to source and trial a Squeezebox and compare