Sign in to follow this  
ELYAS

OMG!!! THERE IT IS!!!!! But now what?

Any comment on my seperate system connected to the same speakers idea?

What you are proposing sounds like just as must of a pain as the set up you already have and the chance of one or both of the amps being damaged is too high.  I would stick with the AVR and get the best out of it for now, a good learning process.  If you want to take it up a level after that take @@Beeman 's advice, movies in stereo can sound fantastic.  In my opinion trying to get the best out of both music and HT is very difficult and a waste of money.  Decide which is most important and achievable and aim to achieve the best results and live with the other being less than "perfect".  Hope that helps.

What you are proposing sounds like just as must of a pain as the set up you already have and the chance of one or both of the amps being damaged is too high.  I would stick with the AVR and get the best out of it for now, a good learning process.  If you want to take it up a level after that take @@Beeman 's advice, movies in stereo can sound fantastic.  In my opinion trying to get the best out of both music and HT is very difficult and a waste of money.  Decide which is most important and achievable and aim to achieve the best results and live with the other being less than "perfect".  Hope that helps.

Thanks. Maybe I should just wait till I can build a theater room, and have my dedicated stereo system in my lounge.

If you definitely want 2 systems in 1 this is the way forward- its what I do, and most other scenarios will be a compromise of sorts. It will cost money but the reward is worth it.

I too have a Yamaha AVR, but I also have a another 2ch power amp and matching pre amp with HT bypass. Run interconnects out of pre-outs for L & R on Yamaha to pre amp, the pre amp the sends signal to 2ch power amp etc. The phono stage goes into the phono input on the pre amp, thus all you will need to do to listen to music is switch the inputs on the pre amp. When HT bypass input is enabled, volume control is still with Yamaha, then when phono input enabled the volume is controlled from preamp.

There a number of manufacturers who do this, also doesn't necessarily need to be separates, it can be an integrated amp also. The two channel gains by having a dedicated pre/power with HT bypass will be immense.

I hear ya. But my receiver doesn't have pre outs.

I was in the same position mate trying to get the best of both worlds, unfortunately youll need to upgrade your avr to something with avr preouts, then buy yourself a good 2ch intergrated to power those beautiful ascension speakers to there glory. Thats what i ended up doing and couldnt be happier

I was in the same position mate trying to get the best of both worlds, unfortunately youll need to upgrade your avr to something with avr preouts, then buy yourself a good 2ch intergrated to power those beautiful ascension speakers to there glory. Thats what i ended up doing and couldnt be happier

Hmm... I hate this crossroad. If I upgrade the AVR, then I may as well upgrade to a beast and not worry about preout's and seperate amps.

I think what I need to do is listen to my speakers connected to a really good 2 channel integrated, or pre with 2 monoblocks or something. If I hear them at their best, that will probably convince me to shell out.

The denon 4311 i bought i thought was a beast of an avr, weight quite abit and had nothing but good reviews yet i hooked it up to a 2ch amp and couldnt belive it. Try both and see what you think. Worse comes to worse you have a much better avr for your new ht room

I use a Emotiva 7.1Ch Processor that runs out to a good 2CH amp and also a cheap 5CH amp for my center and surrounds.

Mostly I listen to music and occasionally it is great to be able to switch to Movie mode and enjoy them when I want all from the same system.

Guest Eggcup The Daft

I think you're hearing distorted bass with uneven response and you like it more than the less distorted bass and more even response that you get with the sub enabled.

Unlikely. My somewhat limited experience suggests to me that for 2.1, the less work the sub does the better, especially with large ported mains, and that's backed up by almost everything I've read. Remember too that it is rare for music to go much below 35Hz and those fronts will get that right, fed a decent signal.

The problem is finding the compromise when you have small rears and large fronts that works for stereo and surround. I've never set up something like that, so good to see Newman's detailed advice and hope it works! Me, I'd change settings for movies and use the large/no sub setup for both stereo music and TV - but I rarely watch effects movies anyway.

So I've got the house to myself, naturally, the DB levels are up there.

I've been having another play around based on some advice here, thanks guys. 

What I have done now is basically set the speakers to large and included the sub in the mix too. However, I had to turn on the Extra Bass feature to get the sub going, as it didn't seem to be doing much unless the speakers were set to small, even if I raised the crossover limit. 

To balance things out, I lowered the crossover frequency to 60hz. I got myself a frequency test CD which has individual tracks spewing out constant bass tones at select frequencies. 

I made sure between 20hz to 60hz the sub was working hard and everything (most) thereafter was taken care of by the speakers. 

My only worry though is that when I chuck a movie on, the bass will be too heavy. But then I also think that LFE is LFE ad it shouldn't be affected.

iam going to order a Niles DPS1. I will use it with an old sansui 717 receiver for music play back

and also new home theater receiver (already has 2 channel nad power amp for fronts)with the Niles A-B switch.

might be usefull till i get a decent 7 ch amp.

the sound of the reciever with or with out the nad power amp doesnt sound

any were close to the sound of the sansui for music play back.

http://www.amazon.com/Niles-Black-FG00003-Amplifier-Selector/dp/B00006HOFR/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Edited by DC1138

URHYNS, I could be speaking for a feature not in the Aventage 710 (I have the 1030), but doesn't Yamaha keep settings based on the source? I'm guessing not - you would have stumbled accross this. Apologies.

I have a pair of VAF's, with the 1030 and an Emotiva 3 channel. I, like you, LIKE both 2ch and movies - in fact I run a 3.1 setup. Very happy, very configurable. Way, way too much volume available on tap. And the 1030 controls things nicely. Sadly, stumping up some coin after a listen with an external amp may be my suggestion...

Apologies if I've missed this in a previous post, too much vino :cool:   But I was in the same position as you and I ended up ditching the surround setup, buying a higher quality 2 channel systerm plus a sub and a sprinkling of room treatment. The mains obviously run full range, with the sub picking up below 40Hz just for movies. I found this far more satisfying and simple to operate than the surround system for both movies and music, and people still think sounds are coming from all directions (as do I).

;) welcome to 2 channel and a seperate obsession

I don't care if all the posts between me and thee are advice on how to have your cake and eat it too ie TT and Av .

You have seen the burning bush yours is now the path to Nirvana.

The holy grail is within your grasp follow the pilgrims before thee on the straight and narrow 2 channel path.

Apologies to thou who hast no evangelical biblical background

Hmm... I hate this crossroad. If I upgrade the AVR, then I may as well upgrade to a beast and not worry about preout's and seperate amps.

I think what I need to do is listen to my speakers connected to a really good 2 channel integrated, or pre with 2 monoblocks or something. If I hear them at their best, that will probably convince me to shell out.

dotn have to go pre and mono blocs and all that….

...you can have best of both worlds….keep you avr…and add a good quality 2ch integrated with ht bypass…will give you a 2ch pre and pwr upgrade in one….and buy one with a nice phono stage built in and get an upgrade on the vinyl side as well too boot :)

and the best part is with the ht bypass the 2ch power amp in the integrated …also gives you a power amp upgrade for your ht side….how many more upgrades can you get with just piece of kit ! 

I appreciate everyone's response and advice.

I have found a happy medium for the time being after playing around with the sub and leaving the speakers set to large. Movies still sound good and music is fine set to Straight with inhancments turned off.

My plan moving forward is to get a beastly AVR. When we build our house with planned theater room, I will integrate that AVR plus an expansion from 5.1 to 7.2. This room will be strictly for movies.

I will also be investing in a dedicated 2channel system in my loungeroom with better speakers and seperates, hopefully something like Osborn.

Nearly all Ascension speakers and subwoofers are Transmission Line enclosures and that helps with the very low frequencies.

I have my system set so when watching movies the main VAF speakers are crossed over at like 80hz. But I can turn off the sub and just use pure direct for 2 channel listening with music.