Yamaha 1030 Airplay issues

Hi all - having an issue on my wifi whereby whenever I stop using Airplay to stream music to the receiver, it no longer is found on the network. It requires unplugging the network cable at the rear of the receiver and plugging it back in again to use Airplay again.

Is anyone else familiar with this issue?

No, but it sounds like a possible DHCP issue. Perhaps try setting the IP address manually in the Yammie and even excluding that address or range from the DHCP server list.

Cheers for that. I'll give it a go tonight. I briefly read over the Yamaha manual and you can select whether to use a DHCP server or not.

Setting it as "Off" means:

"Does not use a DHCP server. Configure the network parameters manually."

Setting it as "On" means:

"Uses a DHCP server to automatically obtain the unit's network parameters (such as IP address)."

Seems like it is constantly losing the IP address when automatically finding? Makes sense I guess. Thanks for the help - I'll advise if it solves.

Well gcgreg - you were on the money. Setup manually (I'm googled how to find DNS settings, gateway, sub mask etc etc) and is working well. Usually it would lose connection once you paused playing from iTunes. So far, so solid. I'l give it a week before I dare change the network name...... (new router.....)

For what its worth - Spotify from an iPhone to the Yamaha didn't seem to have a problem, just Airplay. Fingers crossed it stays solid.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Nice, hopefully remains so for you. Sometimes you also need to reserve the new address in your router (if you haven't done so already) to prevent it from dishing the same address out to another device while the Yammie is off.

The potential issue with the "forever" setting is that other devices such as phones etc that haven't been set to manual IP address could eventually cause the router to run out of addresses (if the lease time is set universally rather than just for the Yamaha).

Wow. That didn't work either. Trying the reserve IP function on the router for the Yamaha. Seems good so far. Will check in 24 hours or so.

Edited by Zoo Tv
  • Like 1

I messed around with my Yamaha a lot and never found a suitable setup that I've been happy with.

Trying to do this sort of discovery over a network is never very good to be honest.

Other Apple devices (eg: Apple TV) solve this by using Bluetooth for the initial discovery/handshake. You're iPhone discovers an Apple TV instantly via Bluetooth which is used to shares its IP then both use the network to do the streaming.

You'll find if you wait long enough your Yamaha will show up again as a device you can stream to (took me a while to realise this - like you I was constant unplugging it) and it's great that it will power the Amp on etc for you but TBH I've pretty much given up on it and just stream via the Apple TV that's hooked up to it.

Thanks for the reply JWM. I kind of went of Apple TV because it's Netflix app was causing me issues. But you are right, streaming music to it just works.

I'll change around what the Logitech Harmony does for music to start the ATV, I'm certainly over trying to get the Yammie AirPlay to work reliably.

Interestingly, at my old place with a different router, no issues.

Oh well,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just read that some routers don't play nicely with Airplay across both the wired and wireless networks, which is what you're running and would explain why AppleTV doesn't exhibit the issue. I'll let you know if I come across any solutions to try.

A further update. I had been using the iPhone or MacBook to wirelessly connect to the router, then control either the Apple TV or Yamaha via Ethernet. I switched to Apple TV but removed ethernet and went wifi. And it appears better. Lets give it more time. 

I'm starting to subscibe to the Airplay WAN vs LAN handshake issues.......

• Like 1

Good news and bad news. First - the bad news. Over a period of years, I have just realised I have totally succumbed to the Apple ecosystem. This was certainly not by design and I'm not about to start preaching like some misguided "it just works" imbicile who requires the approval of others for my choice of one brand. Rather, it started with an iPhone then an Apple TV (and a WD TV at the same time, now multiple Roku's.....), finally a Macbook Pro when I got sick of cheap Asus/HP/Sony type laptops failing around the 18 month mark (usually the HDD FWIW). Now, I've added an Apple Airport Extreme coupled with an Arris/Motorola SB6183 modem. The Technicolor modem/router that the cable company provided was pants. Just pants.

Now the good news. Perfection. The Yamaha, over a period of days, is now ALWAYS available on the network. So is a B&W Zeppelin speaker I was also having trouple with. So is the Apple TV. From any device. 

Joy. Oh - the sheer and utter joy when something isn't broken...... :cool:

Edited by Zoo Tv
  • Like 2

Heh, it seems to happen slowly... I went from deriding Macs (pre OS X days) as overpriced and under specced to the day where I realised "Oh...I have one of everything"... Now I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Mac - craps all over Windows for my needs (software dev), and has a few "nice to have" things that you can't get on Linux, not to mention no screwing about with setup and being top quality hardware.

iPhone/iPad - Just works - I don't have time for the crap the "pseudo technical" seem to enjoy about Android. And lets not mention "stage fright" shall we...

AppleTV - I think I tried every type of HTPC setup known to man, always with dramas, before biting the bullet and getting an Apple TV - being fed from iTunes locally or more so these days just from the store and Netflix / Hulu etc...

Airport Extreme (and now a time machine version) - I reluctantly bought this because the "wake on LAN" functionality of a Mac is proprietary and only works with an Airport - without that the Mac wouldn't wake up to serve my Apple TV... But it's rock solid always.

AirPlay on the Yamaha has been my one and only disappointment which I have pretty much chalked up to the YWA-10 wifi adapter being rubbish. I had a set of KEF X300A Wireless speakers hooked up for a little while and they were great, and will shortly be cabling the house up with CAT-6 so am keen to see if running that direct to the Aventage amp directly will be better...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Heh, it seems to happen slowly... I went from deriding Macs (pre OS X days) as overpriced and under specced to the day where I realised "Oh...I have one of everything"... Now I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Mac - craps all over Windows for my needs (software dev), and has a few "nice to have" things that you can't get on Linux, not to mention no screwing about with setup and being top quality hardware.

iPhone/iPad - Just works - I don't have time for the crap the "pseudo technical" seem to enjoy about Android. And lets not mention "stage fright" shall we...

AppleTV - I think I tried every type of HTPC setup known to man, always with dramas, before biting the bullet and getting an Apple TV - being fed from iTunes locally or more so these days just from the store and Netflix / Hulu etc...

Airport Extreme (and now a time machine version) - I reluctantly bought this because the "wake on LAN" functionality of a Mac is proprietary and only works with an Airport - without that the Mac wouldn't wake up to serve my Apple TV... But it's rock solid always.

AirPlay on the Yamaha has been my one and only disappointment which I have pretty much chalked up to the YWA-10 wifi adapter being rubbish. I had a set of KEF X300A Wireless speakers hooked up for a little while and they were great, and will shortly be cabling the house up with CAT-6 so am keen to see if running that direct to the Aventage amp directly will be better...

Really surprise about the issues with the Airport and the Yamaha. I haven't heard the greatest reports on the YWA-10 either. Have you cabled up the house yet to test?

Edited by Zoo Tv

Really surprise about the issues with the Airport and the Yamaha. I haven't heard the greatest reports on the YWA-10 either. Have you cabled up the house yet to test?

Happening this Thursday. :) I'll let you know how it goes after that.

• 2 weeks later...

All done and the difference is night and day.

Amp is always picked up just as fast as the two Apple TVs are and streaming starts very quickly. Definitely seems the YWA-10 was the problem.

Edited by JWM
  • Like 2

All done and the difference is night and day.

Amp is always picked up just as fast as the two Apple TVs are and streaming starts very quickly. Definitely seems the YWA-10 was the problem.

Interesting. Certainly glad it's fixed, but fairly well proves the concerns I had been reading on the YWA-10. 

Interestingly - I had also been having streaming issues (slow, drop outs, over heating) on the Apple TV with my previouse router (Technicolor listed above) before I changed to the Apple Airport Extreme. Apple TV now running much better and reliably (it's on wireless BTW - not cabled despite it being within easy reach).

Yeah it seems like it's the problem. You could use any wireless bridge and probably get a better result than with it.

Yeah the AirPort Extreme / Apple TV has always been a winning combo for me, wireless or wired.

Only thing it's really benefited from being wired now is a little less latency when clicking through menus to load and buffers a little faster / more consistently. It's noticeably better when doing AirPlay from say iView though, I guess since it's only doing wireless part of the way instead of trying to use it on both ends (device to router and router to Apple TV).