My place of retro happiness

Hi people... I'm pretty new to all this collecting hifi stuff. I have always had one small hand me down amp and some "white van" speakers I picked up 20 years ago

In a car park. These have been hooked up to a technics SL1200 for the last 17 years or so. I love music and have continued buying records since I was a kid, so I figured time to buy some nicer gear to enjoy my tunes on.

So I now have two nice spaces to kick back (or rock on!!) and enjoy the music. Both rooms are dedicated hifi with no surround sound or TVs

So here is my man cave..

de80d9060da00f9d3c1236cbfa294ad6.jpg

3d8e956377e56bef8cef90561a1e5300.jpg

a805912af8a86cf4c44298218a93b75b.jpg

Running Sony ES (mostly) in the cave :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

• Like 17

And here is the lounge...

626c5fa5a075778deb1c17ae6f2f11e3.jpg

ae41303b5492c7df8f505fa846627aad.jpg

Currently running...

Sony APM-22ES - speakers

Sony TA-N220 - power amp

Sony TA-E2000ESD - control pre amp

Sony Mini Disc player (non ES)

Technics SL1200mk2

Linn LP12

& a Sonos connect...

• Like 20

In the other half of the man cave I have another set up... My favourite right now.

ca3ff7406d116bc4ef3e5847e44f83df.jpg

Sony TA-N77ES - power amp

TA-E77ESD - pre amp

And an SL1200mk2 with fluid dampener and Denon high output MC cart..

• Like 9

Oh yeah, running MA - Silver 8's on them right now

430a1f9863b86e1a6721d858f35a08ea.jpg

I have to say I love the sound from those monitor audio's ... And you can see my dodgy D.A. White van speakers (yes, still ticking over).

• Like 9

Love your Sony TA-N77ES - I've been looking for one for ages, so please let me know if you ever feel like 'moving it on'!

I'm pretty attached to that one :). I am selling my TA-N80ES in the next few weeks. Same amp except more caps and no meters. I need to start putting some money toward my next project... A valve amp system

I'm pretty attached to that one :). I am selling my TA-N80ES in the next few weeks. Same amp except more caps and no meters. I need to start putting some money toward my next project... A valve amp system

The big VU meters are so cool!  I'm doing the opposite to you - I have a tube amp, but am looking to add a SS.

Edited by seaninbrisbane

Yeah.... Sooooo purdy!!! :). I can sit there and watch them bounce for hours... I think even if I was on the bones of my butt I would keep that amp

50dfbbe99b549e13c769e632e3eb059f.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 1

There are some really nice SS amps around. I've had a few now... But the N80/N77 definitely have the power behind them :). My N77 has been fully stripped down and rebuilt like new.

The big VU meters are so cool! I'm doing the opposite to you - I have a tube amp, but am looking to add a SS.

What valve amps have you had so far? And what would you recommend?

What valve amps have you had so far? And what would you recommend?

Using a Weston Acoustics Tempest.  Sold it a few months ago, then the buyer tried to negotiate on price so I decided to keep it.  Glad I did.  Where did you source your Sony?

Edited by seaninbrisbane

Don't you hate that? So you would recommend the Weston acoustics equip? What sort of price for something like you have?

Don't you hate that? So you would recommend the Weston acoustics equip? What sort of price for something like you have?

Without hesitation....they are amazing value for money, all hand-built, fantastic value for money.  I was also considering an Accuphase P300x - there was one listed on here recently, but I didn't have enough cash at the time. 

Cool, I will add it to my list of amps to check out ! Thanks for the info.. If your heart is set on a TA-N77es go to eBay.de and look there. They come up sometimes and can normally sweet talk them into getting a postage quote even if they are not advertising international shipping. Be warned though, they are super super heavy. My postage was $600.00

Cool, I will add it to my list of amps to check out ! Thanks for the info.. If your heart is set on a TA-N77es go to eBay.de and look there. They come up sometimes and can normally sweet talk them into getting a postage quote even if they are not advertising international shipping. Be warned though, they are super super heavy. My postage was $600.00

Very nice!! Yeah vice versa... Pity, but I think the shipping both ways would cost more than the amps :)

Edited by hkc

This week I picked up a couple of pieces to get my new system started. I decided to grab a Little Bear T10 and a Sony TA-E86B pre amp. I will run one table off the supposedly excellent phono stage with an MC cart (low output) and the other table through the valve phono pre-amp into the auxiliary inputs on the E86B with an MM cart or high output MC cart.

Hopefully the postage time won't be crazy.

a55eaffb2c484da009161ff4f090339d.jpg

b7f6ebca3dd7e3ab9e1b88339ec0625d.jpg

3897269807dedfa6e38e74e8e72dce36.jpg

Glad I did. Where did you source your Sony?

I sourced the N77ES/E77ES from the USA and the N80ES/E2000ESD from Germany. The N77 is 110v (running a step up transformer). The N80 is multi voltage.

I sourced the N77ES/E77ES from the USA and the N80ES/E2000ESD from Germany. The N77 is 110v (running a step up transformer). The N80 is multi voltage.

I see they are more commonly found in the USA - any issues running with a step up transformer?

Nope, just have to make sure there is enough wattage... I'm running a 3000w unit with two inputs. Built like a tank too. Yeah, the German ones tend to be multi voltage switched. The N80 tends to be champagne not black