Sign in to follow this  
Green Wagon

Luxman RX-102 receiver - "Suckface" Yes, Suckface..........

Its a nickname given by the populace due to its unique design where once turned on, it 'Sucks' the face plate back about 2cm to give access to the dials and lower buttons.

Have you not been paying attention  :cool:

Go stand in the corner until you learn how to behave  :P

:D

Yeah suprisingly, of the few sansuis I've done with that type of terminal, they've all been falling apart.

For whatever reason, these were perfect. No signs of cracks at all.

Best part for me was the new ones could be assembled onto the back panel without having to make a mounting plate. Looks much neater.

But then I did have to unsolder the terminal board and relocate that before running jumper wires between board and new terminals.

Thankfully there was a bit of spare room in that back corner.

GW have you worked on a '73 Pioneer SA 500. I'm going to clean one up, any advice would be welcome.

Hey Steve, I've replied in your thread  (http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/84597-pioneer-sa-500-vintage-gear/#entry1381075 ) with my thoughts on recap etc..

Maybe some others can chime in with their thoughts.

I've got the schematic pdf if anyone wants it. Just pm me your email (its just under 4mg).

Geeny, I was a bit late in getting this guy set up and listening to it... Brilliant!

There's a whole new warmth to the amplifier that wasn't there before. It made me realize that in the 10 odd years I've had this guy, putting up with static in the pots and all else I've never heard it as it was originally designed.

Excellent work, I couldn't be happier.

I took a video of the suckface / servo face working when I originally repaired it about 6 years ago. It's somewhere on the youtube, I'll try and track it down. The problem with them is that they used a small rubber belt in the gear box which inevitably perished after about 20 years (they just don't make things to last!). It's not too difficult to fix them after you know how, but its very rare to find one that's working

Hey John.

Thats ok, I get the impression your a rather busy man.

I suspect we repairers are a little Narcissistic so your praise is like chocolate coated ice cream to a child  :D

I believe that todays caps are far better made than ones of yore, and that accounts for the better sound.

Although, all the orange caps in the signal path in yours were leaking so that can't have been doing any favours.

I didn't pull the face mech apart so its interesting to hear about the belt.

It's disgraceful it only lasted 20 years, I'd be telling luxman to replace it with a new unit. :P

At any rate, I'm glad your happy with it and I see no reason why it won't last long enough to be passed down to the next generation of Scott's ;)

EDIT - 'automated' above posted a you tube of the face in action...

Edited by Green Wagon

Just started to acquire these. I have a 101, 102 and 103. All have various degrees of problems, all have the suck face non functional. I repaired my suck face K101 myself but it really needed little soldering just belts and suck face repair. Done that, yay. but now I want to tackle the r101. since I'm no wiz at this can I ask questions of Green Wagon? I want to disassemble everything as some of the frame has rust on it and would like to sand and repair same. do i just pop off the wires attached to the boards, I see some have clips on the side for easy removal but some don't. Like these:IMG_0087.jpg.d74464dde3944f41e02e9e4a04a733f8.jpg

I assume the wires come unattached from the other end but I want to make sure i'm doing this right before I break something permanently.

Any advice would be appreciated. See the rust?

13 hours ago, Dadrepus said:

since I'm no wiz at this can I ask questions of Green Wagon?

Unfortunately Greenie's profile shows that he hasn't logged onto the forum for almost two years now. :(

21 hours ago, pete_mac said:

Unfortunately Greenie's profile shows that he hasn't logged onto the forum for almost two years now. :(

Geez! I hope he is OK and just busy with life.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

I hope so.

It appears that Nigel still owns and runs Speakerbug, so perhaps he's just taking an extended (or perhaps permanent!) break from forum life.

https://speakerbug.com.au/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=4

Edited by pete_mac

1 hour ago, Muon N' said:

1 hour ago, pete_mac said:

I hope so.

It appears that Nigel still owns and runs Speakerbug, so perhaps he's just taking an extended (or perhaps permanent!) break from forum life.

https://speakerbug.com.au/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=4

He had a bit of a blue.

Posted (edited)

Well, I've decided to plow ahead and start disassembly. What a mess of wires. Second photo seems to reveal the culprit of the big fail. But there still might be more. I've taken a lot of photos for reference to reassemble but I don't think I'll need them as the R102 I also own (which is working just fine) is the exact same inside except for more power. So, I'll just look at that when I get confused.  Lots of rust on the frame, under the power supply, along the rails. I don't understand how people can take such poor care of their equipment. Good thing I only paid $6 for this.

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

Edited by Dadrepus
spelling

I tried to send Greenie an email through his website but his capcha is broken so any email I tried did not complete. It kept popping up google alerts. Oh, well, it would have been nice to get a list of the parts he replaced especially the new speaker terminals.