Sign in to follow this  
btp

New setup planning and purchase recommendation request

I am looking at purchasing a new system for the first time in almost 20 years.

Since I was last exploring decent audio there have obviously been some quite considerable changes, and I am still getting my head around some of them. I would like suggestions on possible paths to take, and decent equipment recommendations.

My previous integrated amp was a Harmon Kardon before they went mainstream, along with a reasonable quality CD player, and B&W 620i floor-standing speakers. Within the last 18 months, the amp has blown, along with every CD player I owned (3), and until now did not have the budget to purchase new equipment. I am sorely missing the ability to listen to good music.

Currently I have ripped all my CDs to a NAS in FLAC format, and would like to be able to use that as my primary source (at least for the time being). I still have the B&W 620i speakers which I will also use initially, with the aim to upgrade in the next 12 - 18 months.

So the question is; what are good possibilities for amplifiers? And what network connectivity / streamer / DAC / whatever else piece(s) of equipment do I need. Was possibly looking at Bluestream Node for connectivity and controller app, but this is subsidiary. Budget around the $3000.

Thanks in advance.

Ben

The soon to be released Auralic Aries Mini streamer comes to mind for the source component, at $599 pre-ordered: http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/82943-will-auralic-aries-mini-kill-the-squeezebox-touch/

It has a built in DAC which means one less expense, as well as leaving more money for the amp. Speaking of which, have a look at this: http://www.lenwallisaudio.com/products/amplifiers/integrated-amplifier/m6i-amplifier it's now discontinued but is still pretty damn good. A mate of mine negotiated a new one from his dealer (not LW) for $3k only a couple of weeks ago. As they say, Nothing ventured......

Thanks for that.

I have had a listen to the M3i which was quite good, and on my list. The M6i I am sure would be a good option if I can squeeze the budget that far.

The Auralic I will investigate further. Sounds interesting.

Do the streamers often come with their own controller apps for phone or tablet?

As much as I have looked lately the answer seems to be yes. Either that or they will accept a third party GUI.

Hi Ben,

If you want CD player - get the Marantz CR610 - it's a perfect all in one unit and you can control it with Marantz iOS app. $949

http://www.whathifi.com/marantz/m-cr610/review

If you don't want CD Player and wants a better amp - get the Peachtree Audio Nova 65SE or 125SE, you can't go wrong with these. $1000-$2000

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2014/09/peachtree-nova-125se-integrated-amplifier-dac-review/

Speakers are open to your choice. If you buy these amps you still have $1000 - $2000 to spend on speakers, should be enough to get decent ones.

Edited by kylevuong19

Thanks Kyle

I figured I could always add a reasonable CD player or transport later, so my preference was to spend a little more on the amplifier.

I have heard of Peachtree but not listened to one before. I shall take a look. Thanks for the suggestions.

Although I ended up with traditional integrated amp and transport and DAC, I considered the NAD D7050 before, but I don't stream that's why it's off my list

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By candyflip
      * Item full name and model etc. ...see below for individual details
      * Location ... Melbourne
      * Item condition description ... varies as detailed in text below (Standard SNA/Goldmine gradings)
      * Price and price conditions ...as specified below 
      * Reason for selling ... latest finds
      * Payment/delivery Methods:  NO PICKUPS SORRY - mail only.
      Bank transfers, or PayPal (Friends & Family only, no notes) are both welcome.

STUFF YOU NEED TO KNOW:
              Once all sold (or near to), a donation to SNA of 5% of items total will follow.
              Any titles here get brand new inner and/or outer quality Blake sleeves as needed before shipping.
              I try and ship 3-4 days a week.

THE SMALL PRINT:
             I fully guarantee everything I offer  - if you don't like any item for whatever reason, return it at my expense for a full refund, no questions asked (verified 30 day+ active Forum members only thanks)..
             Original contents are stored inside the cover.
      I try to ship all records themselves outside the cover, so any postal damage is minimised.
             I use mostly s/hand pre-made cardboard mailers for all orders, and these virtually guarantee safe arrival of your record (they are also MUCH faster to pack).
             Combined postage to anywhere in Australia at cost (or close enough) and is EXTRA (ie. not included in prices). 
            ABSOLUTELY NO LOCAL PICKUPS - don't ask - it's not going to happen.
      Complain to me loudly if anything goes wrong (although it barely ever does) - and it'll be fixed, in your favour. 

Please post in this thread  to reserve your item(s).

Combine with anything in this list to save postage:

Brazil Classics 2 : O’Samba - w/David Byrne vinyl LP. NEW & SEALED. Compiled by David Byrne (ex-Talking Heads). Includes Digital Download. "The music is wonderful, also a historical archive as partial basis for contemporary Brazilian music. Danceable, singable, easy to listen to over and over again."   $35

Jason Isbell & 400 Unit – Here We Rest – 2011 Lighting Rod gatefold &  7" single (…15506) - SEALED and BRAND NEW. Vinyl album w/ 7" single in gatefold cover.  - $40

Jason Isbell – Sirens of the Ditch - US 2018 Special Deluxe Edition 2LP - SEALED and BRAND NEW.  180 gram 2-disc with download card which includes 4 extra unreleased songs not available on the original release. Deluxe Edition hype sticker and New West Records 20 Year hype sticker.  $42

The Incredible Jimmy Smith – Midnight Special – Blue Note 2015 (602547476463)  BRAND NEW &  SEALED. Blue Note Records 75th Anniversary Vinyl Initiative release of fantastic hard to get Blue Note original recordings.   $38

James – Living In Extraordinary Times – EU pressed 2018 2LP vinyl (…393620)  BRAND NEW and SEALED. 180 Gram Vinyl, includes Download Code.  $40

Various – American Epic :The Best Of Blues – Third Man Records 2017 vinyl - BRAND NEW and SEALED. Remastered using a mix of analog and digital technology. A nifty companion to the amazing US PBS documentary series. Single pocket tip-on jacket with soft touch finish, with black poly-lined inner sleeve. Paramount record masters courtesy of Lars Edegran and the George H. Buck, Jr. Jazz Foundation. Jack White as Producer.   $38

Traffic – When The Eagle Flies – 2013 Ltd Friday Music gatefold - BRAND NEW SEALED. Remastered from original Island Records tapes. Mastering by Joe Reagoso w/ Kevin Gray.   $40

Miles Davis + 19 / Gil Evans – Miles Ahead – US 2013 Columbia KG mastered MONO repress. BRAND NEW and SEALED in baggie. 180-gram audiophile mono vinyl LP. Reissue of the original mono version cat.#: CL 1041. Sticker notes the release is 'individually numbered', however there is no number printed on this cover!  Regardless, another Kevin Gray masterpiece.   $38

SOLD
      Miles Davis- Pangaea – US 2012 Double 180gm LP by Four Men With Beards. BRAND new and SEALED.
      Stop - don't run! 
      This 4 Men With Beards pressing is actually great!   
      Recorded live at Osaka Festival Hall, Japan, Evening, February 1, 1975. Original vinyl released June 1976. 
      180 gram double vinyl, gatefold sleeve.  $42

Ry Cooder – The Prodigal Son – black vinyl EU Concord 2018 repress - SEALED & BRAND NEW - Ry back on top form in this highly acclaimed new album. Great reviews!   $35

Fleetwood Mac – Pious Bird of Good Omen – 2012 MOV EU press - BRAND NEW & SEALED. Nice solid bottom, clear mids and very pleasant top end too. Great collection of Peter Green era tunes.  $40

The Stooges – Stooges – 2010 import Rhino Vinyl 180 Gram Repress LP. SEALED and BRAND NEW. Cut from the original analog Masters, incredible SQ. Highly acclaimed.... "this press is definitely the one to get. Dead quiet, great dynamic range and separation, just all around beautiful sound. I don't have an original to compare to, but this version definitely does have the best sound to me...."THIS is the copy to have… $38

Santana – Inner Secrets – US 2014 Friday Music repress - NEW & SEALED in baggie. Lovely copy, Mastered by Joe Reagoso at Friday Music Studios, and pressed at R.T.I. plant.   $42

Lana Del Rey – Ultraviolence – 2014 US 2LP pressing - SEALED and BRAND NEW. With colour insert.  LP mastered by Wes Garland at Nashville Record Productions and pressed by United Record Pressing.   $42

Parallel Single Ended in "Class A" Integrated - Made in Italy

Power: 2 x 35 Watt
      Tubes complement: 2 x ECC802 - 6 x EL34
      Input: 3 line + Phono MM
      Output: 1 line
      Load imped.: 4-8 ohm
      Bandwidth: 18 hz / 25 khz 0 db
      Output Transformer: MastersounD
      Automatic Bias
      Supplied with remote control - R version
      Negative feedback: 0 db
      Dimensions: 43,6 x 40,9 x 18,5 cm
      Weight: 24 Kg
      Made in Italy

Price:  $3000 (RRP - $5200)
      Item Condition: Brand New - still in the box
      Reason for selling: Change of financial situation
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info: 

Pure Class A  2x35 Watt PSET (Parallel Set) which is used in the very high end tube
      amplifiers like Aries Cerat $30K USD. This gives you uncompromising power to run in pure class A almost any 89+ db speakers.  Lack of power is Achilles weak spot of most tube amplifiers and I believe PSET is the best solution used by the very high end manufacturers. Legendary Mastersound brand - makes PF100 tube amplifier $50K USD. Fabulous musical EL34 tubes. To my knowledge, this model is absolutely the best value for integrated tube amplifier in that price range; made in Italy but priced similarly to comparable Chinese models. Includes very good phono pre-amplifier - same as in the flagship models.  This is Box R version with remote control (cost $330 AUD extra).

Links below shows additional information about The Box and Mastersound brand in general:
      http://www.mastersoundsas.it/1/reviews_4451773.html
      https://soundapproach.com/mastersound-box-r-integrated-amplifier-class-a.html
      https://www.technologyfactory.eu/en/mastersound/integrated-amplifiers/mastersound-box/a-5384-10000401
      https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/axpona-2018-integrated-mastersond-box

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By alexb
      Item: Little Dot Mk II Headphone Amplifier
      Price: $SOLD
      Item Condition: Mint
      Reason for selling: Selling head-fi rig
      Payment Method: Pickup, EFT, Cash, Paypal (buyer pays all transaction fees & postage)
      Extra Info:

Great condition and one of the best value headphone amplifiers available. Australian variant with 220v power supply. Upgraded Value Electronic CV4010 KQDD/K and 6H6 VIII tubes.

The device has a single volume knob on the front along with a blue LED and of course, the 6.3mm port. At the back you can find the input and output RCA pots as well as the power button. The specifications of the amp are as follows:

Input: Gold-Plated Unbalanced Phono (RCA) Jacks Output: 1/4" Gold-Plated Stereo Headphone out Driver Tubes: 6JI Power Tubes: 6N6 Frequency Response: 20HZ - 50KHz (-1dB) THD+N: 0.1% (50mW into 300 ohms) Suitable Headphone Impedance: 32 - 600 ohms Pre-Amplifier Output Impedance: 10K ohms Power Output: 300mW into 300 ohms 200mW into 120 ohms 100mW into 32 ohms Average Power Usage: 28 watts Dimensions: 210mm (length) by 110mm (width) by 130mm (height) Weight: 2.5 kg or 5.5 lbs.  
      The Little Dot MK II boasts a SEPP (single ended push pull) circuit (in similar vein to the rest of the MK-series tube amplifiers) greatly increases sound quality, dynamic range, output impedance, and harmonic distortion. The Little Dot MK II also provides gain control of 3, 5, and 10 via internal DIP switches for fine-tuning so you can maximize synergy with almost any headphone you have, whether it be 32 ohms or 600.

Some cheap tube amps have what is called a hybrid design, where the power is provided by a transistor based circuit and the driver circuitry is tube based. Examples of these designs are the headphone amps with only a single vacuum tube (the driver tube). Not only does the Little Dot MK II have a fully tube based design (both power and driver elements are tube based) it actually has independent circuitry for the left and right channels.

So essentially, you have 1 power tube and 1 driver tube for the left channel and 1 power tube and 1 driver tube for the right channel. This is called an SEPP design (think of it as 2 + 2 design).

Photos:

• By sa2013
      Item: Marantz PM-KI Pearl Lite Integrated Amplifier
      Price: $870
      Item Condition: Excellent
      Reason for selling: No longer required
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash
      Extra Info:

I had this amp for about 5 years. There are few very small and hardly noticeable scratches on the right side of the top panel (see photos), apart from that it’s in excellent condition, local buyers welcome to have a listen. I have the original box, manual and power cable. Prefer local buyer.

Key Features
      Ken Ishiwata Edition Integrated Amplifier
      2x 70 Watts RMS (8 ohm)
      Full discrete Current Feedback amplifier technology
      Toroidal transformer
      Copper plated chassis 
      Marantz Original HDAM-SA3
      Power Amp Direct mode

Here's one of many reviews for both amp and CD player: https://www.techradar.com/au/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/audio-systems/marantz-ki-pearl-lite-sacd-and-amp-714688/review

Also for sale Marantz SA-Ki Pearl Lite SACD Player.

Thanks for looking.

Photos: