New TT better than my Commonwealth 12D? It maybe, it ain't no Rolls though

I have got bored with building amps.

So it is time for a new Vinyl spinner, my old Royce is getting an overhaul. I've had this in my TT stash for years and often thought about giving it a new life. Well the time has come for a stripdown and a motor rumble cure. A new plinth for a 9" and 12" arm should see it good for another decade or two. If it's good enough I'll put an ET2 on it.

For those of you not familiar with this old Aussie TT here's a couple of pics post-151141-0-28863900-1435301860_thumb.post-151141-0-72862400-1435301879_thumb.post-151141-0-98534100-1435301900_thumb.post-151141-0-41196600-1435301921_thumb.post-151141-0-41723200-1435301940_thumb.post-151141-0-69266800-1435301957_thumb.post-151141-0-81253100-1435301978_thumb..

• Like 6

Not sure about the plinth yet, I have a couple of nice thick slabs of marble looking for a purpose. Initially I thought of a sandwich of MDF and Brass or Copper sheet. That motor, yes it's a bit of a monster, you gotta love these old machines with their fractional Horsepower motors. This one is rated at 1/3 Horsepower.

Going to polish up the Brass and Aluminium platter/frame and think about new bearings for the motor.

• Like 3

So it is time for a new Vinyl spinner, my old Royce is getting an overhaul. I've had this in my TT stash for years and often thought about giving it a new life. Well the time has come for a stripdown and a motor rumble cure. A new plinth for a 9" and 12" arm should see it good for another decade or two. If it's good enough I'll put an ET2 on it.

For those of you not familiar with this old Aussie TT here's a couple of pics attachicon.gif100_2545.JPGattachicon.gif100_2546.JPGattachicon.gif100_2547.JPGattachicon.gif100_2548.JPGattachicon.gif100_2549.JPGattachicon.gif100_2550.JPGattachicon.gif100_2551.JPG.

Looking forward to watching this. 12 or 16 inch?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

[moderator post] some respect please for the OP, has gone to some trouble to share this project, least we can do is not dump on it from get go [end moderator post]

Agreed, Al.  My apologies.

Andy

• Like 2

• Administrator

For those of you not familiar with this old Aussie TT here's a couple of pics attachicon.gif100_2545.JPGattachicon.gif100_2546.JPGattachicon.gif100_2547.JPGattachicon.gif100_2548.JPGattachicon.gif100_2549.JPGattachicon.gif100_2550.JPGattachicon.gif100_2551.JPG.

Awesome project, look forward to watching this one develop. I just finally sourced (thanks @lovetube) a Garrard 301 to "polish" sometime in the future.

• Like 1

Hi Marc,

I always fancied a 301 but settled for a 401, it was in my price range. I don't pretend for a moment that this will rival my 12D, the title should give it away to all but the least educated (seems to be quite a few here) amongst us. This is after all a cheapo budget job from the dark days of Vinyl. The redeeming qualities being those of a high quality bearing and a super heavy platter. All in all I think it may have a chance at being better than the sum of its parts.

• Like 1

Marc and Al,

I'm going to apologize in advance in case I'm out of order, please don't delete this post.  I have Just noticed that I had 22 replies to my original post while I was out working on my Royce, but they seem to have disappeared.....

Wow, have I missed a hissy fight between the anointed? If you lot need to dump on me, go for it, I don't need protecting from wannabees and legends in their own lunch time.

There are only one or two people that I consider worth listening to. They are the doers and the ones that will show the steps they take to their own DIY heaven or hell. Plus those that put in the time and effort for constructive criticism and suggestion. There are a few of us left.

• Like 4

Marc and Al,

I'm going to apologize in advance in case I'm out of order, please don't delete this post.  I have Just noticed that I had 22 replies to my original post while I was out working on my Royce, but they seem to have disappeared.....

Wow, have I missed a hissy fight between the anointed? If you lot need to dump on me, go for it, I don't need protecting from wannabees and legends in their own lunch time.

There are only one or two people that I consider worth listening to. They are the doers and the ones that will show the steps they take to their own DIY heaven or hell. Plus those that put in the time and effort for constructive criticism and suggestion. There are a few of us left.

Petit-fou-fou, well said. 

For what its worth, these turntables are, IMO, works of industrial art, and worth of plenty of respect. 

It sounds like a great project. Look forward to hearing how it progresses, and your impressions of how it sounds. I've never heard one.

I imagine that it will be quite pitch stable, and that how quiet it is will depend on the design and construction of the plinth.

Guest Hensa

Petit-fou-fou,

I'm not one with the skills for DIY but I love watching these kinds of projects as they unfold with lots of pictures of progress. You don't need to be a skilled at DIY to have an admiration of those who embark on these projects.. I have a feeling this one is going to turn into a jewel!

Good luck and looking forward to following your progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upfront,

It is a 12" platter and very heavy with a lead lining. A high quality brass and Bronze bearing that is nice and quiet.

Well worth the effort mate. In dire need of some elbow grease. Will be interesting to see what you do with it. I've bid on a couple of these.

Great project.

I take it its a belt drive, going to be a big belt.

Hows the platter bearing? Hopefully its not worn or pitted badly. If you can get a smooth running motor and platter you'll have a great deck.

Perhaps you could separate the motor to the platter bearing?.....going to need a heavy plinth.

First step is clean it all up and check for wear. The bearing is fine and runs smoothly. The motor has been running for 24 hours after I put some new bushings in it. The bearings are plain sintel types now. It ran in the fridge overnight to keep the motor cool as the bearings bedded in.

The motor is an absolute dog, it shakes and vibrates like the squeezes' favourite toy. I will probably isolate it and drive the platter through an intermediate bearing.

The platter is going to be bloody heavy. The Marble won't do the job I think I'll have to go with a hollow plinth loaded with Garnet.

• Like 1

The motor doesn't appear to have been balanced by the manufacturer. It looks like the vibration isolation provided by the rubber mounts and the belt was sufficient for the time. When I can get on the lathe the rotor can go between centres and be balanced, I'm hoping this will allow the motor to sit in it's original position. A new pulley might be in order as well, with a bit of pickling to age it. I think the original look should be kept as long as feasible with a resto job. The motor is still almost as rough as the toy (Janes' 73 stroker shovel) In the meantime I will continue cleaning the casting and thinking about a plinth for the old girl. The platter is nicely balanced and spins for a long time after a good push so, a bit of good news.

Pff - you are obviously taking the Commonwealth to a level which is way beyond its original sonic delivery.  Respect! :thumb:

But I suggest, in doing this, it is not necessary to keep sympathetic with the 'original look'.  If a new pulley is in order then maybe a highly polished one will sound better than a 'pickled' one?

And (from my experience) don't be afraid to change to a silicon (round-section) belt, rather than a flat belt - which I assume the original belt is.  IMO, S70 is the best choice.  Renseal in Dandenong South can supply both nitrile and silicon, flat or O-ring, in various N/S ratings and many sizes.

Andy

• Like 1

Hi Andy and Rickhead,

Sorry Nigel I had to do that with the name, it just came over me. Andy I will swap to a decent belt, the original looked like one of those great big Ozpost Green lackey bands.

A highly polished pulley might act as a friction modifier and cause speed variations, I will investigate all options and check the least sensible sounding.

The Chassis (for want of a better description) has been stripped of its paint and looks rather spiffing. I'll give it a bit of a polish tomorrow and put up the pics.

Here for now is the chassis after stripping. The chassis appears to be made of Tobin metal.post-151141-0-41769000-1435428357_thumb.post-151141-0-79262000-1435428375_thumb.

• Like 2

Here it is, stripped and polished. The chassis is Tobin Bronze and sand cast, probably from a board pattern using green sharp as the mould.

I am surprised at how rough n ready the chassis is when compared to the machining quality of the platter. The chassis will have to be bedded as I am not going to plane the back of the casting. Bedding will also give it a bit of help in the isolation stakes.

After showing initial promise the motor may have to go to motor heaven as the motor uses a plain thrust bearing for support of the rotor. I had hoped that the magnetic circuit would hold the rotor in its vertical alignment and running height. To fit a bottom support or bearing is going to be a big undertaking for such a low quality motor, I'm going to have to keep an eye out for a free running one while I think of plinth design.

The platter is a sand cast alloy of unknown type, not that this matters as it is good and hard after all these years so it will take a high level of polish. The machining is first class and the spindle has near perfect run out and concentricity. A better and slightly larger ball for the load end will help with the overall noise of the plain Pot Brass bearing.

The platter still has perfect dynamic and static balance.

I am secretly quite pleased with the unit so far and expect that it will be truly,

"Greater than the sum of its parts"

I'm not damning the Royce with faint praise.post-151141-0-76198300-1435476379_thumb.post-151141-0-51556400-1435476357_thumb.post-151141-0-45141500-1435476311_thumb.post-151141-0-10248100-1435476262_thumb.post-151141-0-91604100-1435476657_thumb.

post-151141-0-08372100-1435476285_thumb.

post-151141-0-01729400-1435476336_thumb.

• Like 5