Chinese Marantz 7 preamp - Ebay

Just a friendly warning about this dubious valve preamp coming out of China at the moment, it has a engraved wooden front panel with the words "Music Angle", even though it's marketed as Music Angel. This should have been a warning as they can't even get the words right. When I too was duped into buying this thinking, gee this preamp looks good - hopefully it will sound the same. BIG MISTAKE, save your money as this preamp doesn't deliver anything but a compressed midrange, too much gain (too many stages for a basic linestage) and an overall flat presentation of the music stage. I tried the different mods that was going around at the time but to no prevail, this preamp just sucked. So don't be like me in thinking that this is a good buy. Build one yourself or just buy secondhand, if not, you could be sending money overseas for nothing as you will, believe me, you will move this preamp on.:):eek:

Just a friendly warning about this dubious valve preamp coming out of China at the moment, it has a engraved wooden front panel with the words "Music Angle", even though it's marketed as Music Angel. This should have been a warning as they can't even get the words right. When I too was duped into buying this thinking, gee this preamp looks good - hopefully it will sound the same. BIG MISTAKE, save your money as this preamp doesn't deliver anything but a compressed midrange, too much gain (too many stages for a basic linestage) and an overall flat presentation of the music stage. I tried the different mods that was going around at the time but to no prevail, this preamp just sucked. So don't be like me in thinking that this is a good buy. Build one yourself or just buy secondhand, if not, you could be sending money overseas for nothing as you will, believe me, you will move this preamp on.:):eek:
I had an original Marantz 7. I thought it sucked stock, so I did all the POOGE mods in AA years ago. Still sucked. Then I found out what it was worth, so I restored it (nothing I did was permanently damaging) and sold it off for a tidy profit. Horrible design.