Cam's System

After a few years of reading and sometimes posting on this forum I thought it was probably time to share my current system. The setup is in a dedicated room and also feeds two other zones of the house.

The room is 3.5m x 5m with a high ceiling. I've had to put up some large panels on either side wall as without them there is alot of ringing/echoes.

Analogue sources

Origin Live Calypso TT with Conquerer arm and 2M black cartridge

Acoustic Research AR-XB TT with FR-101SE cartridge

Project Phono Box RS

Digital sources

Mac mini running standard iTunes -> Schitt Bifrost DAC with uber upgrade

2 x airport express for other zones -> Matrix Mini DAC

Amplification

Prima Luna Prologue Two with KT120 power valves for main speakers

Pioneer SC-LX82 for centre and rear speakers

Rotel RMB-1506 for other zones

Speakers

Zu Audio Omen MK1-B mains

B&W HTM61 centre

Definitive Audio bipolar rears

Subs

DSpeaker Antimode 8033 for bass management

NHT 2 x 12" with external crossover/amp

Emotiva 12" sub

post-104127-0-04081000-1434202114_thumb.

post-104127-0-59899600-1434202162_thumb.

post-104127-0-14642800-1434202191_thumb.

post-104127-0-45695600-1434202232_thumb.

post-104127-0-36438200-1434202266_thumb.

post-104127-0-92155200-1434202303_thumb.

• Like 22

Lovely system, classic layout and minimalist lines. I'm sure it sounds lovely and brings much pleasure. Thank you for sharing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by frankn
  • Like 1

Guest BobbyD

Very nice Cam. Looks like a lot of time and effort has gone into getting this to where it's at now.

......... What's next? ;-)

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks guys. It does sound pretty good. One of the only things I'm not overly happy with is the bass integration. Sometimes it works very very well, other times it doesn't. I did have an old 15" Velodyne servo sub which had fantastic punch behind it. Not sure why I sold it really.

What's next? I'm not sure. I seem to have a pretty good synergy between the current components so it would probably be a speaker change and then the next iteration of finding matching amplification and then possibly sources.

Though I am impressed with the old suspended design AR turntable. It has better isolation from bumps just sitting on the ikea shelf than the Origin Live does at a much higher price point with a granite plinth and vibrapods! So maybe a higher end suspended turntable may be the next path..

As usual with this hobby, there is always something so I'm trying to build on my vinyl collection before the next big step.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• 6 months later...

63a165bae7183392d7cfef21b6140710.jpg

Found some Duntech Barons on gumtree this week. I now get why people get so excited over these speakers.

The poor little valve amp sounds nice at lower volumes but doesn't have the power to push these things.

Time to make a change to a big power amp I think.

The Zu's will be for sale soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Had a clean up after the initial "get home and strip system to plug in new gear"...

fd159c10cf6f0ae318222a7b071db92a.jpg

d367d1b23ce422269a584adf89e46ccd.jpg

d0998a30621b2f2cb0915ca7e68b837d.jpg

2b2295f7fa3c3d94e88c9d65b1e98dd2.jpg

9bfe7163e45d11c14840918d8698597c.jpg

35ef3f4f886879994700eb80157bc3cc.jpg

Everything looks to be in good working order.

There is a little mark from one of the woofer rolls on the fabric - not sure if this means the rolls are giving up or not.

Also not sure if I should be cleaning off the dust and how as I don't want to damage the cones.

• Like 1

Congratulations on getting the Duntechs...

Now for some power to drive them...Believe me, it'll make all the difference!

Cheers

M

I've been reading your thread and was thinking the same. After playing for a few days with the valve amp on them they sound great, but things certainly get a little congested once the volume goes up.

Just a little worried that if I go full on SS that it'll turn into a cold/hard/harsh sound..

Anyone in perth want to bring around a big SS amp to try out? :)

Edited by caminperth
  • Like 1

I've been reading your thread and was thinking the same. After playing for a few days with the valve amp on them they sound great, but things certainly get a little congested once the volume goes up.

Just a little worried that if I go full on SS that it'll turn into a cold/hard/harsh sound..

Anyone in perth want to bring around a big SS amp to try out? :)

The CPs are very revealing and detailed but harsh is not a word i'd associate with the sound. Some decent power will open these things right up and with the right preamp (Prima Luna maybe?), you should be able to arrive at the right balance of detail and warmth... I used to have a Prima Luna and I never felt it to be "tube-like" or overly warm sounding in the first place. Just a crisp yet sweet sounding amp that unfortunately doesn't have the grunt necessary for Duntechs...

With luck one of the good folk from SNA will be able to bring around a decent power amp so that you can judge for yourself.

Looking forward to reading your impressions when this happens.

M

Thanks for the positive comments guys. A mate is heading over today with his Pathos hybrid amp to try - I think around 70w? I'll report back with findings tonight.

Also trying a bit of tube rolling with the PL - it's not too bad as long as I don't expect big volume, though I am conscious of running the little PL too hard. 

Hey Cam, there's a parasound a21 power amp for sale. pair that with the prima pre on sna and you would be well setup.

I couldn't locate the Parasound on SNA? is it selling somewhere else? ;)

The PrimaLuna looks tempting and is a known quantity for me.

Slippery Slope time  :D

I know someone who is selling a sweet 100w Accuphase that will sit beautifully between the AR tt and the Duntechs  ;)

Slippery slope indeed - time to negotiate with the better half..

Thanks for the heads up ;) - though I'd have thought I'll probably need something bigger?

Any thoughts on the suitability of the following?

Integrated:

Accuphase - http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/96178-fs-perth-accuphase-e202-integrated-amplifier/#entry1534155

Jungson - http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/95158-fs-jungson-ja99d-luxury-edition/?hl=consonance

Pre Amps:

Audio Research - http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/spearwood/stereo-systems/bryston-4b-st-amp/1102017581

Consonance - http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/94930-fs-opera-consonance-reference-r11-pre-amplifier/?hl=consonance

Power Amps:

Emotiva - http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/93927-fs-emotiva-sa-250-2ch-power-amp/?hl=parasound#entry1510238

Halcro - http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/96350-fs-halcro-mc30-power-amp/

Bryston - http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/spearwood/stereo-systems/bryston-4b-st-amp/1102017581

Xindak - http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php/topic/95421-fs-xindak-xa8800-mnu-monoblock-power-amplifier/?hl=%2Bpower+%2Bamplifier

Edited by caminperth

Thanks for the read. Are they acoustic panels you have on the walls there?

Sort of. Wood frames, filled with insulation and covered with fabric.

I put them in to tame "ringing" in the room that was very prevalent. Their placement was originally for first reflection points but as the speakers and furniture have changed they are not really setup completely correctly anymore. Seems to work ok though.