Does size matter?

Hi can't resist my 2c worth. YES SIZE ABSOLUTELY MATTERS!

But it has to match the room. You need a large space to experience the best benifit from deep bass. Like 30 M square or more. You can enjoy bass in a lesser space but extension response will be limited. The walls of the room also matter. Like what they are made of. Also is your house brick concrete, wood or fibro. A lot of professionals like audio engineers and acousticians prefer clay brick in domestic environments. I know from experience you want a steep subsonic filter @ 15-17 Hz as the only thing that can hear that is an elephant. Ultra low frequency in that range can cause a lot of problems.

Edward from Adelaide Speakers lives just down the road from me. If you ask him he will say the same thing. I think you need to educate yourself as knowledge is power. Im writing this on my phone so I cant send you the link but look up Pi speakers and their articles on bass . That clearly articulates the advantage of a multi sub set up. None the less 2 is better than one. I seriously think you need to up your budget $1500 would net you 2 of Edward's Adelaide Speakers entry level subs. This is the best bang for your buck I know of in the world. I am also selling my sub as I am moving.

That is a 260 litre 12 inch with a Redgum 180 watt plate amp for $500 I also have a spare driver and the plate amp is still made by Redgum. That would offer you a good start that could eventually make a pair with quality components and world class performance.

• Like 1

Hi can't resist my 2c worth. YES SIZE ABSOLUTELY MATTERS!

But it has to match the room. You need a large space to experience the best benifit from deep bass. Like 30 M square or more. You can enjoy bass in a lesser space but extension response will be limited. The walls of the room also matter. Like what they are made of. Also is your house brick concrete, wood or fibro. A lot of professionals like audio engineers and acousticians prefer clay brick in domestic environments. I know from experience you want a steep subsonic filter @ 15-17 Hz as the only thing that can hear that is an elephant. Ultra low frequency in that range can cause a lot of problems.

Edward from Adelaide Speakers lives just down the road from me. If you ask him he will say the same thing. I think you need to educate yourself as knowledge is power. Im writing this on my phone so I cant send you the link but look up Pi speakers and their articles on bass . That clearly articulates the advantage of a multi sub set up. None the less 2 is better than one. I seriously think you need to up your budget $1500 would net you 2 of Edward's Adelaide Speakers entry level subs. This is the best bang for your buck I know of in the world. I am also selling my sub as I am moving.

That is a 260 litre 12 inch with a Redgum 180 watt plate amp for $500 I also have a spare driver and the plate amp is still made by Redgum. That would offer you a good start that could eventually make a pair with quality components and world class performance.

Himmm, I don't know about his subs but his speakers are not up to scratch IMHO. After reading all the good reviews about Adelaide Speakers, I bought a Summoner (1093EYHTL, 250wrms, 94dB (1W/1M) without listening in the first place, which is not possible with Edward's business model. That was the very first time I have done such a thing and it will be the last time. They looked absolutely beautiful (cabinet maker definitely does a great job) and were not too bad at low listening levels but as soon as the volume was cracked up, they were all over the place. I have never heard such disjointed speakers in my life. It was as if all three speakers in the box were part of different music/melody. I was also not happy at all about the marks on the mids, which claimed to be natural fibres showing up due to some specific manufacturing process according to Edward. I was sent replacement ones which had the similar marks but covered with dark reddish ink which turned out to be black permanent marker marks turned into reddish colour reacting to some chemical contained in the material of the mids. Also one thing grabbed my attention was that how cheapish the mids looked from the back. Anyway it is a long story but at the end speakers were returned and my money was reimbursed.

As I said I cannot comment on subwoofers but the speaker I bought is not worth the half of the money ($1695) it is being asked for (again IMHO) I am very surprised that there is so much bragging going on about these speakers.

Dear howze

It is lovely to have enthusiasm but could you please explain how you came to the conclusion that your particular sub is capable of 10 Hz? At + or - what reference dB and what equipment did you use to measure that response? Was it anechoic Chamber or in Room?

Or was it simply a subjective Guess? My sub does reach around 17Hz @ around -6 dB but it is a 260 litre 28 foot long internal transmission line and that only with added cone mass & serious tweaking that pushes the very limits of what is physically possible with a 12 inch bass driver. 

Any opinions on the following two woofers:

Velodyne Microvee

Rel Strata

Cheers

Have you checked the room size on the velodyne as yet, if it suits room size yes...otherwise no.

Rel strata I'd go for supplementing a 2ch setup but unlikely for ht.

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy a pair of subwoofers and was wondering if the size of the drivers matter to produce good deep, punchy bass.

I was looking at getting some 18" passive professional subs. The seller claims they are great for home theatre, but I'm not too sure if they will be any good for stereo listening. Will they sound too boomy for music listening?

What are your experiences or tips on choosing a good pair of subs.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Two 18" subs would be Massive bass for Audio. I have a JBL B460 sub 18" 2245h driver and it's frighting bass that will tear your head off. It's great for effect on home theatre and audio due to quality but you need to control the 18" with power otherwise the bass can get sloppy and fat, research is key here i think.

Two 18" subs would be Massive bass for Audio. I have a JBL B460 sub 18" 2245h driver and it's frighting bass that will tear your head off. It's great for effect on home theatre and audio due to quality but you need to control the 18" with power otherwise the bass can get sloppy and fat, research is key here i think.

Did you make your own cabinet?

See if you have multiple large drivers for non-directional LF you don't need too much power. The subs need not sweat. Less distortion. Less modes.

Takes up expensive real estate though.

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk 2

Have to agree with Sir Zigmore,

BIGGER IS BETTER, I use 4 x 12 inch 1000W subs "swarm style" (sealed enclosures) with 4 x 1200w RMS into 4 Ohm D Class Amps (1 for each sub) , run the dual (80mm) 4 Ohm coils on the Sub Drivers in parallel for 2 ohms, cross over at 50Hz for integration with the mains, welcome to drop by for a listen :thumb:  anytime .

Tight rock concert bass to 125dB and beyond, is a bit of an understatement for this arrangement. Believably, the only thing better is "more and bigger" although how far does one go ? Better efficiencies are achieved with other types of enclosures, but come at a cost in enclosure size. Mine sit on a bench and are around 25 liters of total area each, tiny.

Edit, forgot to mention, you simply cannot have enough power. Was running the 4 subs from 2 amps, but it became apparent after the install of the other 2400w RMS (2 more amps) that I was definitely under powering the drivers. The recent introduction of a 10 band parametric (sub band) EQ, 32db cross over slope and time correction has sweetened this arrangement some what and improved integration to the point I class my "stereo as 2.0" not 2.1, integration is so good.  2 subs per side under the mains, in stereo. 10 Hz, well you may say this set up is actually able to "do it" and has about 15dB of tweaking at 10Hz on the roll off. There are no sub sonic filters in my world, sadly I can only measure this set up to 25Hz, but it is "flat" to there, below, I don't know.

Time to run a blu ray movie. :P Sunday after all.

Edited by Guest

Ill also be picking up the huge transmission line box from themoronicavenger in the next day or 2

The big massive 12" box in SA?

How come you didn't get the driver with it too? Do you have a better driver?

Better driver or amp, probably not but couldnt afford the whole lot but my current amp + sub i have will be 300rms so it will be interesting

Yeah very interesting indeed. Please do let us know how it sounds. Looks like one big beast though!

Have to agree with Sir Zigmore,

BIGGER IS BETTER, I use 4 x 12 inch 1000W subs "swarm style" (sealed enclosures) with 4 x 1200w RMS into 4 Ohm D Class Amps (1 for each sub) , run the dual (80mm) 4 Ohm coils on the Sub Drivers in parallel for 2 ohms, cross over at 50Hz for integration with the mains, welcome to drop by for a listen :thumb:  anytime .

Tight rock concert bass to 125dB and beyond, is a bit of an understatement for this arrangement. Believably, the only thing better is "more and bigger" although how far does one go ? Better efficiencies are achieved with other types of enclosures, but come at a cost in enclosure size. Mine sit on a bench and are around 25 liters of total area each, tiny.

Edit, forgot to mention, you simply cannot have enough power. Was running the 4 subs from 2 amps, but it became apparent after the install of the other 2400w RMS (2 more amps) that I was definitely under powering the drivers. The recent introduction of a 10 band parametric (sub band) EQ, 32db cross over slope and time correction has sweetened this arrangement some what and improved integration to the point I class my "stereo as 2.0" not 2.1, integration is so good.  2 subs per side under the mains, in stereo. 10 Hz, well you may say this set up is actually able to "do it" and has about 15dB of tweaking at 10Hz on the roll off. There are no sub sonic filters in my world, sadly I can only measure this set up to 25Hz, but it is "flat" to there, below, I don't know.

Time to run a blu ray movie. :P Sunday after all.

Thanks for the invite. Will definitely drop by when we come down to tassie next time! ;)

By the way, any recommendations of good amplifiers and crossovers?

Cheers