A good strong bottom end!

G'day all, whilst my search for a new MM phono cartridge continues, I have to admit that one aspect of the Shure 'house' sound that I really like, is the strong and satisfying bass performance which sounds particularly great with Rock type of musical material, at the very least!

From my personal observations, it seems that whilst many cartridges have good bass response, the Shure's seem to have the edge here!  Can any MM phono cartridges really compete with the Shure's, when it comes to a really strong and satisfying bass end at least in the moderate price range?  Regards, Felix.       

I haven't heard one myself but the nagaoka carts are supposed to have a good bass response

I have heard that said too.

Apparently not exactly the same sound as most, but installed one of these NOS ones on a mates Denon and It's pretty good for Rock music :)

http://www.lpgear.com/product/NAGAOKAJT555.html

Carbon cantilever and the "Ultra-Ex' stylus is like a shibata cut from what I gather, not bad for 110 bucks.

one series of carts ive heard that has a pretty strong output at 6.5mv and is on the warmer side of the fence are the 1000 series goldring carts, i heard a 1012 on a mates rega and it rocked pretty well

They look good, but might be outside of the budget Felix is looking at?

Granted I didn't search for long :unsure:

Damn! I need to stop looking at carts, It's making my upgraditis kick in :rolleyes:

I'm in the same boat with the upgraditis, want to step up from my 2m blue, hence I've been researching like crazy

I originally had the Red and moved to the Bronze, if you like what the Blue does you might like the Bronze even better :)

I like it, and am happy to stay with it through the next stylus replacement.

Luckily i have other upgrades to do instead.....or is that unlucky :lol:

A few meanings of "Bottom end"

Audio - bass

Engines - crankshaft and pistons

Engine performance - torque at low revs

Humans - butt

Australia - Tasmania

Celebrities - Kyle Sandilands

....any more?

:)

A few meanings of "Bottom end"

Audio - bass

Engines - crankshaft and pistons

Engine performance - torque at low revs

Humans - butt

Australia - Tasmania

Celebrities - Kyle Sandilands

....any more?

:)

we are in the "turntables, vinyl and analog" subform, so we dont need to go past "Audio - Bass" no 1 on your list :)

• Like 1

We need a cart sharing system like they have for jigsaws...some kinda deposit system so if you bust something its pre paid and everyone gets a couple of weeks with a different cart - kinda like a group buy system?

We need a cart sharing system like they have for jigsaws...some kinda deposit system so if you bust something its pre paid and everyone gets a couple of weeks with a different cart - kinda like a group buy system?

Only issue with that is, that slight damage or incorrect wear might accumulate as travels from one user to the next and down the line.

Not for me anyway ;)

Sure but think of it more like sharing a demo car rather than sharing the car you will actually end up buying for yourself. But you're probably right, they are a bit delicate for this type of stuff.

Edited by JPete9

@@JPete9

The delicate nature of them is the concern, and not everyone sets up a cart correctly.

The idea still has merit, just maybe not practical in practice :)

I had a Goldring 1042 on my Rock, great bottom end but can be sibilant on some systems, costly now too, I paid $450 for mine, but I sold it a while back.