Klein DAC owners thread

Gieseler Audio

Hmm I'm interested in your thoughts (and whether said member may be interested in loaning it to me.....,)

I'm wanting to hang onto it for a while longer as I'm just getting aquainted with it.

The problem is critical listening time with it, I need more.

So whats the hassle with adding I2S to a dac like this, I'd run it from the I2S off the Raspberry as the USB is crap. Or I'd have to go and buy something like a Wandboard to get better USB. If I2S is much better what not add it or could it be an upgrade or replace an optical or USB output of the dac?

Hi Keitha,

adding I2S inputs would require a redesign of the PCB & new sockets & tooling for the rear panel. If I had a lot of enquires for that I would certainly look into it but to date I have had almost none.

I totally agree by far the best way to extract audio from a Rasberry Pi is via I2S. I actually have the new Pi 2 (& 1) at the moment & eventually plan to build DAC/server using it. The idea would be that the Pi would plug directly into my DAC motherboard so it would be a very short direct I2S connection between the Pi & AK4490 DAC chip. The general feeling out there is that type of set-up should sound even better than the current PC/USB/DAC set-up up that is so common. I'm very keen to get this happening but just struggling to find time due to current work load.

• Like 4

Hello,

any Melbourne based owners willing to have me bring my DAC (iDSD micro) to their place for a comparison (i also bring beer or wine)? or you can come to my place (carnegie) but times are tricky due to kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi clay

Just ads a little more flexibility. The way thinkphs are going, digital media is getting better and better, so the more input options the better

Cheers

Would require a different input switch, which I assume is coming in the next revision anyway - remote-controlled switching with LED indicator and scrap any physical flipper/knob? :)

• Like 1

It's been a good 3-4 weeks of listening now and have to say I like it. I have been using all three input types exclusively driven by my SBT. I'm finding the coax has by far the most live presentation, more spatial resolution and more accurate location of high frequency sources such as cymbals. Vocal sounds better with the usb input and is more pallettable but with the Duntechs I have become a sound stage Nazi. Has anyone improved or played with the USB output of an EDO SBT going into the Klein or do I need a decent pc to get the most out of it. I already have a linear supply for the SBT but is there anything to be gained from providing better usb power in this context?

• Like 2

I have found the usb input to be a fair way ahead of the spdif on my system.

I came across the integer setting on jriver last night... didn't even know jriver catered for integer but gave it a whirl and not sure it was working as the output was still reporting 32 bit under audio path.

Is the Armaro usb input compatible with integer?

Great DAC by the way been a few weeks now and still fiddling around with settings. I think i prefer the relaxed presentation of both filter switches down.

Edited by matt200sr
  • Like 2

Let's be honest, those words are meaningless unless they come from your own experience and are your opinion, because what I consider "musical" you might think is "lean" or "analytical, or conversely "dull" or "dark".

Personally, I think the Klein is transparent, accurate and quite musical....but it all depends on the system around it whether we have similar subjective interpretations of audio.

Basically, take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt until you can hear a Klein for yourself against a known reference.

• Like 2

Thanks spyne but I was hoping it wouldn't go there.  It's only a dac after all, not a cure for cancer so no need for us to be too "analytical" in this hobby. Anyway it's not a perfect world so it helps give an idea if several users have an opinion and/or details of their system in case they are familiar to others.

• Like 1

+ 1 with Spyne.

I have listened to horrifically expensive dacs over the years and found them ordinary Well I consider them ordinary.

It's all about what suits your personal listening tastes.

I can say that the Klein is a very easy DAC to listen to, and even my wife, who doesn't pay much attention to what I do with the gear, immediately noticed what she considered a nice change to the music.

And for the outlay this DAC for me is exceptional

I'm now using a SE version of the Klein and loving it. Not really burnt in as yet, but I'll post my opinions soon

Yes there are

I suppose I can help a little by saying, that the Klein being easy to listen to, is a way of saying its neutral to the source. Making the replaying of music as its recorded and how I think the artist wanted us to listen to it.

It does have some filters that can Ce adjusted to suite your listening taste also

It also extracts an amazing amount of detail from the recording

It's a very small investment to get such pleasure out of our hobby

And let's be honest, Clays stuff resells very easily, so even if you don't like it as much as I do, you can sell and maybe loose a few dollars

• Like 3

Thanks Bill. I am interested in another dac atm but I definitely want to hear the Klein hence my interest here. But I can't be bothered spending money and possibly losing some on an unheard dac when there are so many good dacs available. I'm in no rush so it's always good to read the reports as they come in.

Is it possible for any owners to describe whether this is a "neutral" dac or is it leaning towards "analytical" or "musical" ?

I would say it treads a middle road -  not euphonically musical like the Killer nor overly analytical (some say cold) like a MSB.  The DAC its most like IMHO is the latest incarnation of the Direct Stream which also treads a middle course.  The DS to my ears is just a bit darker, richer and slightly more revealing of detail.

Thanks

Bill

• Like 1