Sign in to follow this  
Gieseler Audio

Klein DAC owners thread

Hi guys - just a quick update.

The Klein II DAC took longer than expected but is at last totally finished & the boards now ordered. I needed to get that sorted first as the new DAC/pre will be using a upgraded version of that for its DAC section. I can now finally get started on the combo model. This should not take too long as the preamp section will be essentially the current preamp (with a few upgrades) so that is all done. One significant change will be removal of the motorised potentiometer for level control. This will be replaced with pure digital control with the level being displayed on the screen in digit form (like the NAD M51) & control via the remote only. Control is much smoother this way & no pot to wear out. The last hurdle with be to find a nice case & sort out how to implement the front & rear panels. It will probably be a full width case (440 mm) so too wide to use the Gravaply which I use for the Klein panels. Stay tuned!

Can't wait!

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

Hi Clay,

will the Klein II Dac and the Klein Pre get the upgrades of the Combo as well, e.g. the pure digital control without the poti?

Thanks

Matt

Guest scumbag

Clay,

Please don't take this as a criticism but I was wondering if for the sake of clarity you might be able to draw up a simple table of your current and proposed offerings. I am a bit confused about what your lineup is and how they all fit together and others may be as well (or maybe I'm just thick?). Proposed pricing would be good too and even a loose time frame though I know how hard they are to stick too from my own experience! 

Mark

Matt - the Klein II is fixed output so no volume control.

The Klein Pre ( updating now) & the new DAC/Pre will both have the pure digital control /display with no pot.

Mark - sorry it certainly is a bit confusing.

So this is the current situation.

The standard Klein DAC remains & stays at $750 inc delivery.

The Klein DAC II will be available for purchase in two to three weeks. The design it totally finalised & pcb's have been ordered.

Cost is $1000 inc delivery.

The new combination DAC/Pre is in the final design stage & I'm estimating a finished product in about a month.

This will be a higher performance product all round & have more features than say a current Klein II DAC + current preamp.

Cost approx $2000 inc delivery

When I actually have Klein II DAC's in stock I will post a full release & add it to a updated website.

I hope this makes things a bit clearer.

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Hi Matt,

Yes still available. With the Klein II I'm getting the feeling it is a step up sound wise so I'm not sure how SE version sits in the range now

I have a well run in SE myself so I probably need to do a thorough sound comparison between it & a new Klein II when I have the finished production version. Will be interesting & I will certainly post the results.

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Clay,

I would appreciate very much if the two boxes solution(DAC II and Pre) is NOT in any form inferior to the combo.

Matt

Hi Clay (@@Gieseler Audio), have you thought about/is there an application for, using the new Burson V5 SS opamp in the Klein products moving forward? Say in the upcoming Dac/Pre unit?

They are available locally (Burson are an Aussie company) and they have been offered to SNA members in the last few months.

Guest scumbag

Wasn't aware of that. I see the "retailers" link takes you to partsconnection. If they sell locally that's great.

Anyone here use a computer with Windows 10? I think that the Amanero Drivers for the usb on the klein dac dont like win10. As long as ive had the drivers on, my computet blue screens ocassionally.

Anyone here use a computer with Windows 10? I think that the Amanero Drivers for the usb on the klein dac dont like win10. As long as ive had the drivers on, my computet blue screens ocassionally.

Hi Suopermanni,

I have Windows 10 running on my NUC with the Amanero Driver installed (since last December) for the Klein Dac and "touch wood" I have not had any issues with blue screen... maybe check to see if it is being caused by USB port conflict... other than that sorry I cant be of much help.

As an aside, when you get it up and running, check you advanced speaker settings and ensure that you have selected all of the highest output options available... I found that Windows defaulted my settings for output to lower levels.

Cheers, Scott

Guest scumbag

No official WIN10 drivers at this point in time -http://amanero.com/drivers.htm so I guess it's a bit of pot luck perhaps. Are you using ASIO?

Mark

Yes, i was using it. I also had another usb dac driver on it so that might have aggravated it.

Edited by Suopermanni

Guest scumbag

Might need to delete the drivers for the other DAC to see if that sorts it out. Just guessing here!

I'm sure the new Burson SS opamp is very good but it is more of a upgrade device to replace a standard single opamp.

I don't use a normal opamp output in any of my products. The output stage is a critical area so I go to a lot of trouble using a special composite stage combined with a high current diamond buffer. The DAC/pre will will be even more extreme in that area - more info on that a little closer to release.

Thanks Clay. Thought it might have been worth asking as there's been such good word about it, not realising what specifically you do/don't use in the Klein circuits.

This account reinforces the old adage that 'you don't realise what you have till it's gone'.  Until yesterday, I was the very happy owner of a Klein DAC, and everyday I enjoyed the music that it produced - highly engaging, agile and very, very lifelike.

In anticipation of the impending Klein II DAC, I sold the Klein and shipped it off to its new owner.  To fill the void until Clay is able to ship the new model, I borrowed a friend's Arcam irDAC, which folks, comes highly credentialed and sells for about the same price as a Klein.  5 stars from What HiFi etc, etc, etc.  The hifi press seem to love it.

To say that I was disappointed is an understatement.  Whilst the Arcam is tonally pleasant and images quite well (left to right but not front to back), there seems to be no life in the music and things happen slowly - very slowly compared to the Klein.  This seems to be the real trump card of the Gieseler in that there is real snap to the music - great timing with very fast rise times.

I previously owned an NAD M51 for a few years and got a lot of satisfaction from it.  Whilst it did a lot of things right and only a couple not so well,  it too was slow paced compared to the Klein.  So my guess regarding the latter's success is not it's processing but the quality of it's output stage.  Clay has obviously put a lot of effort into a high quality class A design solution and it works.

Andrew

Guest scumbag

This account reinforces the old adage that 'you don't realise what you have till it's gone'.  Until yesterday, I was the very happy owner of a Klein DAC, and everyday I enjoyed the music that it produced - highly engaging, agile and very, very lifelike.

In anticipation of the impending Klein II DAC, I sold the Klein and shipped it off to its new owner.  To fill the void until Clay is able to ship the new model, I borrowed a friend's Arcam irDAC, which folks, comes highly credentialed and sells for about the same price as a Klein.  5 stars from What HiFi etc, etc, etc.  The hifi press seem to love it.

To say that I was disappointed is an understatement.  Whilst the Arcam is tonally pleasant and images quite well (left to right but not front to back), there seems to be no life in the music and things happen slowly - very slowly compared to the Klein.  This seems to be the real trump card of the Gieseler in that there is real snap to the music - great timing with very fast rise times.

I previously owned an NAD M51 for a few years and got a lot of satisfaction from it.  Whilst it did a lot of things right and only a couple not so well,  it too was slow paced compared to the Klein.  So my guess regarding the latter's success is not it's processing but the quality of it's output stage.  Clay has obviously put a lot of effort into a high quality class A design solution and it works.

Andrew

I have to concur. Having come along the same path - M51 then Klein (and other DAC's as well), I too found the M51 to be slow-footed (and over smoothed to my tastes). The Klein is fast, detailed but musical (most would assume that those characteristics are usually mutually exclusive). I have had and still own other DAC's but the Klein just provides me with so much enjoyment. The output stage seems to be where the difference lays - there are plenty of implementations of that DAC chip but in the Klein the stuff around them makes all the difference!

Mark

Edited by scumbag

Just wondering how many of you Klein Dac owners run it with a CD player.  I remember reading a while back that whilst it was still a good performer with a CDP,it was better with USB(servers,laptops etc)   Any thoughts?

I the Klein with USB (laptop), Coax (CD Player) and Optical (telly).

All three of them sound very good to me. I especially enjoy movies on headphones through the Klein. Or any other HP listening session from a digital source for that matter. But movies through HP's have a nice ambience to it.

I'm planning on watching "Creed" tonight, but on the speakers, a bit louder since my family is away for a few days. See how that goes ;)

I understand that the USB is possibly the best sounding input on the Klein but I had been using the coax input for my streamer and the results have been excellent.  Really can't fault the sound quality - regardless of price.

Andrew