Klein DAC owners thread

Gieseler Audio

But it's growing Bill and less computing/conversion/noise if done properly.

For sure.

I have done experiments with my Killer and I2S, all other things being equal, I2S is always better.

That said with Keith Eichmann's new SPDIF cable I personally cant be bothered with the hassle and will be using my DAC's via SPDIF from my Opppo.  Admittedly the Oppo has a very low jitter Terra Firma clock, but from just about any source I really like that cable.  Even Clay when he heard it using his DAC was impressed: 'The S/PDIF was very rich & organic without any hint of glare or edginess'  But like Clay I too felt the USB revealed more detail so I guess its how much you like that organic kind of sound - as you may have guessed I love it.

Drop Keith a line to see if you can try one - I think you will be impressed.

That said - yes - I2S is king.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba
  • Like 2

RE Filter settings.

I'm now finding B down (rh looking from rear) & A up. A couple of local Klein owners put me on to this as it is now their preferred setting.

It seems to enhance the bass a bit & the soundstage is still nice. What is everyone else finding works best? I was previously using both up as it added a bit more air to vocals but find bass drops off a tad in that setting now.

Been reading this thread with great interest today.

I'm on the lookout for a DAC (not quite yet but soon) that I can use for my media PC (USB), TV (Optical/Toslink) and Coax (CD Player, future Bluray). From what I've read so far the Klein does fit the bill.

The Klein should be a good fit. It's a very 'true' DAC in my experience - it doesn't add or detract from the material being played and just puts every detail and nuance out infront of you on a nice, big soundstage. For $750 you can't go wrong. The only thing it doesn't do is remote controlled switching of source/input....though I believe Clay is working on this.

Edited by ~Spyne~
  • Like 4

I've had Clays DAC for a couple of weekends now and im mighty impressed. Instantly enjoyable and addictive listening that improves after a few days of run time.

I listened initially with both filter switches down and am now trying both up and i think i prefer down. My speakers are more revealing than most and Klein's filter switching facilitates some handy tuning.

Congratulations Clay great DAC and some of the most enjoyably sound ive enjoyed ever.

• Like 3

I've had Clays DAC for a couple of weekends now and im mighty impressed. Instantly enjoyable and addictive listening that improves after a few days of run time.

I listened initially with both filter switches down and am now trying both up and i think i prefer down. My speakers are more revealing than most and Klein's filter switching facilitates some handy tuning.

Congratulations Clay great DAC and some of the most enjoyably sound ive enjoyed ever.

post-111576-0-20503200-1439119560_thumb.

• Like 2

@@matt200sr

Hi Matt. Which dac were you using before the Klein?

With all the positive comments I'm guessing Clay is planning that home extension and swimming pool when he should be working on the Uber Klein with extra features ;)

Any closer to an ETA on that one Clay?

The only other DAC i currently own is an old tda1541a Audiocentric (killerdac gene) and ive been feeding its spdif input with an Oppo 105 with nice results. I swapped this out with the Klein and everthing is better from top to bottom. Instruments are much easier to audibly define from one and other - this DAC loves complexity. I then set up the Mac Mini via the usb input and it just gets better.

If my audio memory serves me correctly the Klein sounds better than the K-07 i briefly owned, of course everything is system dependent.

Ive tried a few dacs/cdps and the Klein just sounds right from the start. The best sound ive been able to create ever would have been my old ML1 reference system up in my old apartment. The DAC was another one of Clays being the PDX and the amp was a moddified Mingda. I recall Steronut made the comment "Jesus! It sounds like vinyl" interestingly the PDX was not using the usb input and it was a Marantz cd-99 feefing the spdif. Just lovely sound. I also used a Kilkerdac in that system fed i2s from an Offramp 4 and with those two DACs i had a nice sounding system. If only i could slot the Klein into that system!

Zenelectro has almost finished my transport which will feed the Audiocentric with i2s and uses his hand built clock so i an looking forward to comparing that too the Klein shortly.

Edited by matt200sr
  • Like 4

Uber Klein,

Now I like the sound of that. My wife would be more excited about the swimming pool though. All I need is a little more time, would you believe SIX Klein's out the door last week. All this hard work is killing me. I have actually managed to find time to develope the new Klein Pre & I'm almost ready to order the boards. Ended up using a Muses chip to control the volume, gets awesome reviews & is used in the Pass Labs XS preamp. I'm down to four Klein pcb's so furiously trying to finish the cad work on the pre so I can order all the boards together.

• Like 12

Even tempting vinyl junkies these days & in case anyone missed it.

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:16 PM in  Digital, DACs & Computer Audio

My latest acquisition is the Gieseler Klein DAC, and what an exceptional piece of gear it is.  Its been said before but at the price, it’s an audiophile bargain.  I’ve considered other DACs’ over the years but none have been good enough to take my coin.  Each time I considered digital media and DACs I tried and shied.  Too sterile, bland or shrieking hi fi.

The Klein is musical and involving.  I found myself doing something elsewhere in the house and then stopping and drawn back to the music.  Instrument separation is really remarkable.  And the vocals – I have not heard a digital source that plays the human voice so well – the female rendition in Dark side of the Moon was spine chilling.  The imaging is excellent – the separation of instruments and voice ensure this.   It’s not fatiguing, (something that really annoys me with most digital sources and I pull up stumps pretty quickly).  I listened to the Klein more and more – without trying to sound trivial, it was entertaining.  Again that word musical – not hi fi , not shrill,  not demanding or pressured.

My system is synergistic and plays really well. Based around my Linn Sondek , the Klein fits well within the system.  It quickly quipped my Naim CD5/Flatcap 2  - and then it led to the inevitable comparison with my Linn Sondek.  This is brutally unfair – we are talking a flagship transcription device and a system built around the vinyl front end of many many years – cables & all.  Is it better than my Linn – of course not.  But the price difference and fact that it raised the thought is praise enough.  I am certainly going to hunt out some more top quality digital recordings to fully appreciate the Klein.   (And a damn good record cleaner – that inky background from the DAC – dammit!!)

So in comparison to the Linn, the Klein image was constrained in a narrower width and depth.  The absolute dynamics were less.  There was a lack of decay with some music.  But I believe what I was hearing was the age-old differences between digital and analogue.

I also found it interesting that I have played more music since purchasing the Klein.  It just asks to be listened to.  So simply put – this is the best digital source I have heard.  And at the price? – words defy me.

System:

Linn Sondek/Ittok/AT OC9ML/II

Hercules/Linn Linto

Gieseler Klein DAC

Naim CD5/Flatcap 2

TVC Signature Passive preamp x 2

Golden Tube SE40

Yamaha NS10B

By rambada

PS I think Paul actually has Yamaha NS1000's (B for black) so maybe he just missed a couple of zeros.

regards

Clay

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 4

Hi Clay just wondering about the two switches on the back of your DAC, not sure how to use them.

Wouldn't really want to just randomly flick them about :)

Hi Clay just wondering about the two switches on the back of your DAC, not sure how to use them.

Wouldn't really want to just randomly flick them about :)

It is different filters, Clay can describe better what they do. It is like fast roll off or slow roll off etc. Try them in different positions and decide which on you like.

@@joz have a look here to see what the switches do, they operate instead of shifting jumpers internally  http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/81435-ak4490eq-filter-adjustment/

Clays instruction sheet says:-

Looking from rear

Left Switch              Right Switch  

Short Delay, Slow Roll Off                               Up                            Up

Slow Roll Off                                                    Down                       Up

Short Delay, Sharp Roll Off                               Up                        Down

Sharp Roll Off                                                  Down                   Down

post-111637-0-43580000-1439605255_thumb.

Edited by Ancientflatulence
  • Like 2

Thanks guys for the helpful info.

Hi joz - no problem with changing switch positions while playing music. My preference is (looking from rear) right down, left up & some prefer both up to add a bit more life & air to vocals. On a good system (definately yours with the monster Scanspeak towers) you should be able to easily hear the changes especially between both up vs both down. Please let us know what you think.

• Like 1

Thanks Clay and Old Fart, although the system is nearly always on, I just need some me time so I can just sit and listen in the sweet spot.

Difficult it seems these days.