Gieseler Audio

Klein DAC owners thread

Picked up a Klein DAC yesterday so it's still early days.

But first impressions...

It's very natural sounding and not overly etched or detailed.

Only tried the USB input so far and it's better with my iFI iUSB power.

I didn't like up sampling with Audirvana.

I prefer the filter switches both being up.

@GPK  Just wondering ........ Where is the iFi iUSB power going, I thought the Klein didn't use USB power input ..... mine is running with a USB cable with no power wire ....... ??

Hi guys

Don't know if this is the right place to ask this

But

I have a Nad M51 at the moment

Has anyone compared the Klein to the M51.

I'm interested in the Kline but don't know if it would be an upgrade

I'm gut feeling is yes it would

So if you can help please do

Cheers

@@bhobba might know from experience.

I have heard the "older" versions and loved them.

M51 can do a few things that the Klein can't.

Hi Guys

The Kelin IMHO is better IMHO than the upgraded M51 I had.  Note: This was not a direct comparison - but from memory.

Thanks

Bill

@GPK  Just wondering ........ Where is the iFi iUSB power going, I thought the Klein didn't use USB power input ..... mine is running with a USB cable with no power wire ....... ??

Gemini cable from Mac Mini to iUSB to Mercury cable to Klein DAC. I assume that what it's doing rather than supplying power is reducing noise from the Mac.

Interestingly, just this afternoon I've gone Mercury > iUSB > Gemini > Audiophilleo 2 > Klein and I think it's even better. But that's with the filter switches down.

Not even 24 hrs yet, so not making any conclusions as yet.

Sponsor

It is definately an upgrade but obviously I'm biased.

I have had a NAD M51 for several years & often use it as a reference point when evaluating my new DAC builds.

It's features leave the Klein for dead, but the sound situation is reversed. Just listening to the M51 on it's own it sounds pretty good (I'm using v1.39 firmware) When doing a critical comparison between the two the Klein (AKM version) is more three dimensional with more separation between instruments & airiness. Bass is similar but the Klein Is a little tighter & cleaner. The Klein is producing more information & you just seem to hear more things happening in the recordings. The styling, features & operation of the M51 is excellent - I would kill to have all that in my DAC. The weakest area of the M51 is the basic output stage & excessive output filtering plus SMPS psu, this is normal in lots of commercial DAC's. It is in this area that I go totally overboard in the Klein, high current class A composite output stage with lots

of quality cap decoupling & very light final filtering. This has a major effect on the sound, also the AK4490EQ DAC is brand new, & exceptional at decoding digital music files. Hope this info helps, regards Clay.

Edited by Gieseler Audio

Hi Clay

Thank you so much for the detailed breakdown

It might be worthwhile to get one and compare

Cheers

Edited by Bill125812