Klein DAC owners thread

Gieseler Audio

I have a question...

So I have a (second hand) Klein, mainly for the Squeezebox, but I thought I'd try it with my Marantz CD5003 CD player to see if that'd improve its sound.  The CD5003 has both optical and coax out connections, but neither work with the Klein. 

I've switched on the digital output as per the user manual for the Marantz, but the only thing that happens is that when I adjust the volume on the amp, one of the speaker's cones moves in and out.  :wacko:  I can't remember whether that was with the optical or coax though, it only happened with one. 

The optical cable produces sound from the telly to the DAC, and the coax produces sound from the Squeezebox to the DAC, so both DAC inputs work that way.  

Am I missing something?  I know I tend to hook my stereo stuff up while I'm drinking, but I thought it should have been simple enough.

Does sound great with the Squeezebox though!  :)

FWIW, I have the coax output of my bluray player connected to the DAC, just made sure that it's set to stereo.

The CD5003, I used to own that model, there's nothing much you can set up really, is there? Just curious, is it an MP3 or FLAC or so CD? I'm pretty sure the Klein supports only PCM. Just ticking boxes is all.

Cheers,

Alberto

Hi Monk,

that  is odd especially as the coax & optical inputs are working with your other units.

I did notice in the Marantz manual that the pitch control needs to be on zero otherwise the digital output is disabled

Maybe check that.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/650918/Marantz-Cd5003.html?page=29

Also looks like Audio EX2 disables digital out.

Thinking about it more it would appear the DAC’s digital inputs are working fine but the Marantz 

is not outputting a digital signal - some setting not quite right.

Thanks Alberto for your help.

Cheers

Clay

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Thanks 1

On 12/07/2018 at 5:53 AM, Gieseler Audio said:

Hi Monk,

that  is odd especially as the coax & optical inputs are working with your other units.

I did notice in the Marantz manual that the pitch control needs to be on zero otherwise the digital output is disabled

Maybe check that.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/650918/Marantz-Cd5003.html?page=29

Also looks like Audio EX2 disables digital out.

Thinking about it more it would appear the DAC’s digital inputs are working fine but the Marantz 

is not outputting a digital signal - some setting not quite right.

Thanks Alberto for your help.

Cheers

Clay

jiFfM.jpg

Well.  Someone is a dumbass.

I still had Audio EX 2 set. 

I had to check the manual in the first place to see how to turn on digital output too.  And that is mentioned right next to it.  Damnit.  Oh well, it works now, and has certainly improved the sound from the CD player.

Thanks Clay.  

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

It’s now 6 yrs since the last post here and I am wondering what people still think of their Gieseler Klein Mk 1? I see them come for sale here in NZ occasionally and am curious to try one… I have two audio systems… Hifi and HT. My Hifi DAC is a Metrum Octave MK1…and I really like it. I upgraded from an Audio Alchemy “DAC in the Box” and my standby is a Grace 902 digital preamp. The Octave totally shines above both these. My HT system utilises the inbuilt DAC within a Yamaha RX V861. I am curious to hear the Klein against the Yamaha and in comparison to the Octave? I’m also curious to know what Klein owners may have upgraded to? Would anyone like to comment??

I bought a Klein Mk in 2015 I think and I still have it. I love it, never touch it except for turning on and off. It uses all three inputs, coax for BD and CDs, optical for the TV and USB for a Raspberry Pi Moode Audio device.

I'd love to get my hands on the PCB of the same device without the enclosure and build a complete R-Pi Audio system out of it.

Curious, what are they going for these days?

Cheers,

Alberto

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, KiwiMike said:

I’m also curious to know what Klein owners may have upgraded to? Would anyone like to comment??

After many years on the DAC merry-go-round I grabbed an original Klein back in the day and loved it. Upgraded to a Klein III and now the Kompakt and I remain extremely satisfied. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, betocool said:

I bought a Klein Mk in 2015 I think and I still have it. I love it, never touch it except for turning on and off. It uses all three inputs, coax for BD and CDs, optical for the TV and USB for a Raspberry Pi Moode Audio device.

I'd love to get my hands on the PCB of the same device without the enclosure and build a complete R-Pi Audio system out of it.

Curious, what are they going for these days?

Cheers,

Alberto

Within 12 months I have seen 2 for sale here in NZ….one is currently sitting in auction at $129NZ but I expect it to reach $200NZ. Can you confirm that it works natively with RasberryPi or does it require a driver?