Gieseler Audio

Klein DAC owners thread

They make great dacs also

Isn't there anyone in Vic that can let you audition a Klein before you commit to something else

They make great dacs also

Isn't there anyone in Vic that can let you audition a Klein before you commit to something else

@~Spyne~  ?  :)

I am hopefully picking up my SE dac this week. If not next week.

I listen to a few dacs as I am planning a shootout just for fun. In the meantime the best Dac I have new was about $13K and now cost about $3K used. I have been comparing the Klein Dac against this dac for several hours. For most of the music types the Klein is up there, it is only with classical music that I think my reference dac beats it.

If I have to fault it I miss a bit of the air / spaciousness compared to my best dac.

See next post.

Edited by Jventer

I would say it treads a middle road -  not euphonically musical like the Killer nor overly analytical (some say cold) like a MSB.  The DAC its most like IMHO is the latest incarnation of the Direct Stream which also treads a middle course.  The DS to my ears is just a bit darker, richer and slightly more revealing of detail.

Thanks

Bill

I agree with Bill.

May I ask how many versions are available as I read "se" version as oppose to what other version is available ?

This dac is top of my list for the shear value for money and what it can do compared to more expensive dac's and my decision is only bassed on what i have read here and is enough to convince me and will purchase without audition. What else can do a better job at $750?

I just spend a $1000 on new cables for most likely marginal improvement (my pinion of course) so 750 to me is a no Brainer and can only sound better than my cd players dac should of bought the dac before cables my mistake but like always get carried away and spend way too much money than i should. The Klein is to be the end to completing my system.

Sorry about the babble!

Sponsor

There are two versions. The Klein & the Klein SE, the SE version is basically the same but with improvements to power supplies & a few other areas. The difference is not great but on a good system with critical listening it does sound a little better. They sound very similar but the SE just has that little bit more air & separation of instruments. I'm sure Bill ,Johannes & naggots can add more to this when they have had time to do a good comparison.

@@amisty

Hi there

As Clay has already said, the both Dacs are pretty close as far as sound goes. Very natural.

I have been listening to the normal version for a few months now and can say without a doubt it is one of the best dacs I've heard. Beating some 4 times the price

I picked up Clays new version the SE a week ago

So it's not really burnt in as yet, but the differences are already evident The spacial separation of instruments is quite a bit better

The detail it's dragging out of recordings is a little better, which has actually surprised me, as I thought that the standard version was getting as much detail as possible out of the recording. I was wrong. I'm hearing little things for the first time

I suppose I would be happy with either DAC, but I'm happier with the SE version

Hope that helps a little

I just spend a $1000 on new cables for most likely marginal improvement (my pinion of course) so 750 to me is a no Brainer and can only sound better than my cd players dac should of bought the dac before cables my mistake but like always get carried away and spend way too much money than i should. The Klein is to be the end to completing my system.

Sorry about the babble!

Yeah, be careful  with the getting carried away bit. I think most of us here have done that  and or are still doing that. :lol: