Klein DAC owners thread

Gieseler Audio

@GPK  Just wondering ........ Where is the iFi iUSB power going, I thought the Klein didn't use USB power input ..... mine is running with a USB cable with no power wire ....... ??

Gemini cable from Mac Mini to iUSB to Mercury cable to Klein DAC. I assume that what it's doing rather than supplying power is reducing noise from the Mac.

Interestingly, just this afternoon I've gone Mercury > iUSB > Gemini > Audiophilleo 2 > Klein and I think it's even better. But that's with the filter switches down.

Not even 24 hrs yet, so not making any conclusions as yet.

• Like 1

It is definately an upgrade but obviously I'm biased.

I have had a NAD M51 for several years & often use it as a reference point when evaluating my new DAC builds.

It's features leave the Klein for dead, but the sound situation is reversed. Just listening to the M51 on it's own it sounds pretty good (I'm using v1.39 firmware) When doing a critical comparison between the two the Klein (AKM version) is more three dimensional with more separation between instruments & airiness. Bass is similar but the Klein Is a little tighter & cleaner. The Klein is producing more information & you just seem to hear more things happening in the recordings. The styling, features & operation of the M51 is excellent - I would kill to have all that in my DAC. The weakest area of the M51 is the basic output stage & excessive output filtering plus SMPS psu, this is normal in lots of commercial DAC's. It is in this area that I go totally overboard in the Klein, high current class A composite output stage with lots

of quality cap decoupling & very light final filtering. This has a major effect on the sound, also the AK4490EQ DAC is brand new, & exceptional at decoding digital music files. Hope this info helps, regards Clay.

Edited by Gieseler Audio
  • Like 3

We have actually taken the shopping basket off (tricky with international shipping rates) so it's best just to email me via the website

or just PM here with your contact/email info. I usually just email out a invoice with direct deposit info ect.

It might be worthwhile to get one and compare

If I remember correctly Clay has a M51 in his shop.  Since you are in Brisbane it may be possible for you to pop down to Clays shop and hear it for yourself.

Thanks

Bill

Edited by bhobba
  • Like 2

Hi Bhobba

I think I might just like to get one and try on my own system

Then I'll find out over a reasonable period of time what it's like

And I know in detail how the Nad sounds on my system and can compare Clays dac more easily

What's the worst that can happen

She who must be obeyed will shake her head once again. Shrug her shoulders and walk off , leaving me to listen to music

So I suppose a Win win situation

• Like 5

I've got a keeper with my wife.

Bought a Sub 1 a couple of months ago and when it arrived she said it was a lot smaller than she thought (wonder if I should have got a Sub 2 instead  :lol:).

Clay's just finished my DAC today, and can't wait for it to arrive as I've never had a DAC before (only built up my gear over the last 2 months). Currently airplay my music from Mac Mini to Apple TV, then optical into CD player (has in-built DAC), then into pre-amp, so now going straight from Mac Mini USB to Klein to pre-amp will be a big improvement :thumb:

Edited by Celts88
  • Like 1

Changed my mind today.

Went back to the USB input and it's more detailed with better separation.

I'm liking it a lot.

Went back to both switches up as well.

As a former owner of an NAD M51 it's a big improvement, though I do miss the HDMI inputs and remote volume control

• Like 3

Hi GPK

As the owner of a NAD M51 in interested that you believe the Klein is better

I've ordered one from Clay today to be picked up on Tuesday

I'm very interested to hear the difference

Cheers

It'll be really interesting to hear if you come to the same conclusions as I have. We'll swap notes once you get to hear the Klein in your own system.

It'll be really interesting to hear if you come to the same conclusions as I have. We'll swap notes once you get to hear the Klein in your own system.

I'll make sure I let you know after a week or so of listening

Really looking forward to it

Just tried plugging in my Squeezebox Touch to the USB input with the EDO plug in. The Squeezebox didn't seem to recognise the DAC. Is this is a known problem or am I doing something wrong?

Just tried plugging in my Squeezebox Touch to the USB input with the EDO plug in. The Squeezebox didn't seem to recognise the DAC. Is this is a known problem or am I doing something wrong?

You'll need to go to Settings > Advanced > Digital Input > Select Digital Input and choose "USB: Combo384" (at least I think this is what the USB input is called, from memory)

The SBT will then reboot and all should work after that. I've found it a real pain in the rear trying to compare my previous Arcam irDAC to the Klein as they use different USB receiver chips and therefore I need to do this process and reboot the SBT each time I switch.

• Like 1

GPK,

I think with a USB DAC & a Squeezebox touch you need some sort of third party app for the DAC to be recognised. I would think S/PDIF (coax or optical) would be a better way to go.

http://www.audiostream.com/content/get-usb-dac-and-24196-digital-output-your-squeezebox-touch

PS just seen spyne's post, looks like he has it sorted

Edited by Gieseler Audio

You'll need to go to Settings > Advanced > Digital Input > Select Digital Input and choose "USB: Combo384" (at least I think this is what the USB input is called, from memory)

The SBT will then reboot and all should work after that. I've found it a real pain in the rear trying to compare my previous Arcam irDAC to the Klein as they use different USB receiver chips and therefore I need to do this process and reboot the SBT each time I switch.

You've got to love SNA! All sorted. Though I had to install some sort of Linux Kernel as well. Thanks!

• Like 1

Just picked up my Klein apRac from Clay this morning

Plugged it in and am presently A B comparing against my NAD M51.

The Klein hasn't been burnt in yet naturally, but first impressions are very positive

Bass seems to be handled better by the Klein. Slightly tighter

The MIds and upper ranges are similar to the NAD so far.

Detail seems to be very good indeed

Will report back as the Dac burns in a week or so.

Clay is fantastic to deal with by the way

Cheers

• Like 5