Klein DAC owners thread

Gieseler Audio

• 3 weeks later...
Guest scumbag

Klein DAC comes up trumps again! I'm just listening to my Klein DAC through my new First Watt F6 clone. Oh boy, sounds so good.

P.S. Which IFI units did you try?

@@Gieseler Audio

Clay, reading a bit on the Klein DAC II, but didn't want to disturb that thread. Just curious, would there be any advantage of powering the USB section with an external power supply, or is that done in the DAC? In that case, would chopping off the power supply strip from the USB cable work?

@@Gieseler Audio

Clay, reading a bit on the Klein DAC II, but didn't want to disturb that thread. Just curious, would there be any advantage of powering the USB section with an external power supply, or is that done in the DAC? In that case, would chopping off the power supply strip from the USB cable work?

The Amanero384 Combo USB board is internally powered by the Klein DAC. :)

The Amanero works perfectly with any cable that has the +5V line severed.

Edited by pete_mac
  • Like 2

I sound like a broken record, but here I go again:

I have heard the Klein dac in several configurations and then bought it. Then upgraded to the Klein II.

The bottom of the range Klein dac AKM or PCM compared to a PS Audio Directstream dac (a few software upgrades ago)  and a JLTI modded Oppo was an interesting exercise.

My preference for the $ outlay was for the Klein. What was scary was how good the Klein was compared to the PS Audio.

To me Oppo/Modded Oppo is not a contender as a DAC - full stop. ( Oppo is a like a Swiss knife so if you look at all the things it can do it is not a bad buy as a multifunction device.)

On the other hand the PS Audio is just so good. If I had the $ I would buy it now. It is a very good product and software upgradeable. However for say $750 or $1,000 for a Klein compared to $8k plus for PS Audio I am going to stick with my Klein SE or upgrade to the next model.

• Like 3

Guest scumbag

"I sound like a broken record, but here I go again:"

What is the digital equivalent of a broken record?  :P

• 2 weeks later...

So I had a Klein DAC delivered this week. Who knew Spotify premium could sound this good :). My thoughts a larger soundstage, clear seperation including depth on instruments and detail. Brilliant piece of kit! The only criticism I can come up with is that it may favour detail over musicality..............I keep meaning to A/B against my old DAC and my Primare CD32 but I can't bring myself to stop the music.

Might do some work with cable matching in the coming week.

• Like 2

Guest scumbag

So I had a Klein DAC delivered this week. Who knew Spotify premium could sound this good :). My thoughts a larger soundstage, clear seperation including depth on instruments and detail. Brilliant piece of kit! The only criticism I can come up with is that it may favour detail over musicality..............I keep meaning to A/B against my old DAC and my Primare CD32 but I can't bring myself to stop the music.

Pairing can make a difference to the detail versus musicality equation. Using the Klein (1) with my First Watt F6 clone I do not in any way feel my system is lacking in musicality.

Welcome to the Klein DAC club.

Agree with @@scumbag. I use it directly into amp on my headphone system. When I tested it on my main system I liked it better with a pre amp added.

• Like 2

Guest scumbag

Yes, should have added, feeding my klien dac into a first watt bride of Zen preamp into an f6 clone.This is my first foray into the world of preamp and power amp and I am really enjoying it- with the klien dac acting as the source.

• 1 month later...

How are you guys finding the filter switches?

Any prefered settings?

I find in my well damped room at home both up works best but say in a tiled room both down is better.

Just picked up this DAC from a SNA member yesterday and have to say I am very happy with it. I previously had a Primare DAC and an Audio GD which were both fine but (competent but somehow unexciting) I think the Giesler Klein runs rings over these. In terms of filter switches -yes I agree, my room has a lot of glass and tile floors (which has its challenges) so both switches down for me

Edited by tellmidd

Guest scumbag

I was running both switches up myself for ages. I then got hold of a First Watt F6 clone and BOZ preamp and found it quite bright. Switched to both switches down from that point on. I did find the both switches up to my liking though - perhaps I am a detail freak.

Mark

I was running both switches up myself for ages. I then got hold of a First Watt F6 clone and BOZ preamp and found it quite bright. Switched to both switches down from that point on. I did find the both switches up to my liking though - perhaps I am a detail freak.

Mark

I guess like all these things, there are so many varibales involved including source ->components -> power management /cables /outputs and ultimately the room. I found the switches both up a bit bright too. I run all my digital files out of my Mac (which is not optimal) yet with the Klein, its the first time I don't have to fiddle with the equaliser (I just keep it as neutral for all music) and it just sounds great, warts n' all... ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I guess like all these things, there are so many varibales involved including source ->components -> power management /cables /outputs and ultimately the room. I found the switches both up a bit bright too. I run all my digital files out of my Mac (which is not optimal) yet with the Klein, its the first time I don't have to fiddle with the equaliser (I just keep it as neutral for all music) and it just sounds great, warts n' all... ;)

System matching and even down to USB cable matching can be crazy.... But can someone please lone me one I can listen to? Clay, Bill, Mike, all the local gold coast area guys??? I've been out of the hi fi world for a while, but if a new DAC is up to spanking the pants of my old PDX, for under a grand.. Im all ears and bank notes :D

And as a response to a very early post on this thread... The NAD M51.. I was lent one back when they where new ( thanks to the millionaire playboy gear master "Bill" I think ).. anything clay builds will probably destroy what you can buy of the shelf in brand name ( ie Rotel. NAD, etc ) and for half the money.. 

Edited by Angellus
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I might add, I had very good results with the Curious Cable.

Certainly does. That's exactly how I was using it. The mini is very adaptable when it comes to connecting to DACS.

Mark

Ok thanks, that seals the deal then unfortunately going to have to buy one now!!

best place to purchase one? I could only find addicted to audio?